Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What game do you plan to hunt this fall/winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe deer if I’m lucky.

Comment

I plan a few days of pheasant hunting, using doubles only this year. O/U and SXS. I'll leave the 870 in the cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
        I plan a few days of pheasant hunting, using doubles only this year. O/U and SXS. I'll leave the 870 in the cabinet.
        You prairie folks, are there still a lot of 16 gauge guns up there?
        I hear they are really popular with the "pheasant" crowd.

Comment

I still have one

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

You prairie folks, are there still a lot of 16 gauge guns up there?
            I hear they are really popular with the "pheasant" crowd.
            I don't know enough to say. I would guess the rate is the same as anywhere else. Knew only one guy who hunted with one when l was a kid. I'll rerun the picture of my 16 ga. Elsie featherweight

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
              I still have one
              Have one or use one?

Comment

Use it some, as it is my dad's 870 with a left hand safety, and the stock was shortened for coat use for him (little short for me).
                I have hunted dove and pheasant with it.
                I have not done any shotgun hunting at all in the last 14 years (since we moved to Wyoming), with the exception of jump-shoot duck hunting with my 12 gauge Benelli semi-auto. I just got this shotgun in the last 6 months. But, I have hunted with it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

I don't know enough to say. I would guess the rate is the same as anywhere else. Knew only one guy who hunted with one when l was a kid. I'll rerun the picture of my 16 ga. Elsie featherweight
                  I've got a 16 "Elsie" (1904 per S/N), but it had been rode hard and put away wet long before I got it.
                  It's loose in the breech and the safety doesn't work. Barrels were eaten up long ago by mercury fulminate primers.
                  I used it quite a bit growing up. It's a safe queen now.

Comment

Mule deer and elk in Colorado, ML elk and Rifle Deer in Washington. Bear, cougar, and turkeys are targets of opportunity during WA fall seasons, too. Probably late season whitetail in N. Alabama. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                      Use it some, as it is my dad's 870 with a left hand safety, and the stock was shortened for coat use for him (little short for me).
                      I have hunted dove and pheasant with it.
                      I have not done any shotgun hunting at all in the last 14 years (since we moved to Wyoming), with the exception of jump-shoot duck hunting with my 12 gauge Benelli semi-auto. I just got this shotgun in the last 6 months. But, I have hunted with it in the past.
                      A couple years ago, I bought a Remington "Sportsman" in 16 gauge.
                      The gun was one of the first 500 16 gauge Sportsman built, but the barrel wasn't original to the reciever and was IC.
                      I wanted a semi auto, but not just IC. The barrel was sent to Briley in Houston, TX and was fitted with an Extra Full, Improved Modified and Modified IC choke tubes.
                      The Improved Modified is halfway between a full and a modified.
                      The Modified IC is halfway between modified and IC.and a sweet shooter now that is quite comfortable to shoot with my rebuilt shoulder.

Comment

Yesterday, I ordered a new scope for the .243 Handi-rifle barrel. PigHuntress got her first deer with it but switched to .308 Win afterwards. I've never carried it hunting and may give it a try.

Midway has it on sale - the new Sig Sauer Buckmasters scope 3-12x44 with BDC reticle, $100.
                        Sig Sauer Buckmasters Rifle Scope 3-12x 44mm BDC Reticle Matte (midwayusa.com)

As mentioned last week on another thread, these Sig scopes are essentially the Nikon replacements. I didn't want to spend much on scoping the .243 barrel and hope this has adequate clarity for my style of hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Yesterday, I ordered a new scope for the .243 Handi-rifle barrel. PigHuntress got her first deer with it but switched to .308 Win afterwards. I've never carried it hunting and may give it a try.

Midway has it on sale - the new Sig Sauer Buckmasters scope 3-12x44 with BDC reticle, $100.
                          Sig Sauer Buckmasters Rifle Scope 3-12x 44mm BDC Reticle Matte (midwayusa.com)

As mentioned last week on another thread, these Sig scopes are essentially the Nikon replacements. I didn't want to spend much on scoping the .243 barrel and hope this has adequate clarity for my style of hunting.
                          In tight quarters, keep 'er twisted down on 3× and it'll work just fine.
                          But you don't need me to tell YOU that! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

In tight quarters, keep 'er twisted down on 3× and it'll work just fine.
                            But you don't need me to tell YOU that! LOL!
                            Indeed. The 12x will be used at the range or if needing to count points on a feeding buck. Otherwise the scope will remain at 3x

Comment

Good counsel and a wise way to do it IMO

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad