Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What game do you plan to hunt this fall/winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What game do you plan to hunt this fall/winter?

I received 4 tags in the mail last week: 1-cow elk, 1-buck antelope, and 2-doe antelope tags.
    I will buy my general buck deer tag over the counter.
    I will also likely buy some leftover whitetail doe permits over the counter too.
    I will be using my 280 AI center-grip XP-100 for the cow elk hunt, and I haven't decided what I will use for the antelope and deer yet.

Just the standard fare in Central New York, fall turkey and whitetail deer. Our turkey numbers are about the best in the past several years, after a big downturn and then spotty comebacks here and there.

I've always enjoyed small game, too, just the general walk-around, mixed-bag days -- really just enjoying the woods and seeing what there is to see -- but that's become more of a post-deer-season, wintertime thing due to the abundance of ticks. Our grouse and rabbit seasons go through the end of February.

Comment

If, and that's a big "IF", I get to do any hunting at all, I'm hoping for deer and turkey.
      If not....Que sera, sera!

Comment

I'll hunt squirrels for a few weeks starting late September to mid October. Some of it will be with my Dad's old Winchester 74 semi-auto and some will be with a suppressed Ruger American Rimfire. May even use a single-shot 12 gauge a time or two or a suppressed Ruger MK III.

Mid October to Mid November will be archery deer, mainly with a PSE crossbow. There's a possibility I may use the old PSE compound but that will take much more practice. I'll be in a lease this season and will be hunting over bait.

Special muzzleloader season lasts 5 days in mid November and I'll try to go at least one time. The CVA Electra with electronic ignition will be my primary rifle. 50 caliber with 240gr XTP sabot over 100gr of loose triple seven.

Late November to early February is modern rifle season. The primary rifle will be a suppressed Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM. I may use up to 6 different rifles, depending on my mood.

Pigs are always targets of opportunity. They're more likely to be found on public land and I hope to get to the WMA's a few times.

We don't have a tag system and there's a three buck limit. Does are one per day and there's no limit on pigs.

Comment

I'm not going out of state this year and cancelled plans for Southern Ohio. Last year's Kentucky archery trip was a disappointment, same as the West Alabama centerfire pay hunt the year before. So, I'm spending my money to be part of a local lease just 50 minutes away. No overnight stay required.

Comment

Time is getting short but I’m trying to decide on a traveling bird hunt with the Kid for a week.

It’s his senior year of HS so it’s likely the last chance we’ll get for a few years. That and my younger Britt will be 8 in November, not many Octobers left for her to do her thing and the last couple have been mostly a bust.

Hang up is our 3 day Youth Deer Season over the Columbus Day weekend. It’s my daughter’s last time for that so we’ll be home. If it happens she tags out on Monday and the temps are warm I’ll need another day for butchering. I’m already planning on taking 10 days off that month, just haven’t figured out exactly when.

Other than that typical Archery, Rifle and then Muzzleloader seasons for deer and some bird hunting mixed in around here. Maybe a Turkey if opportunity presents itself.
            Last edited by fitch270; 07-28-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Deer, Goose , Grouse and Rabbit / Snowshoe hare.

I also plan on running my own trap line this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                Deer, Goose , Grouse and Rabbit / Snowshoe hare.

I also plan on running my own trap line this year.
                What critters? Just curious. Personally I think the beavers need thinning out.

Comment

Rats and mink mainly but will try for Coyotes also. My brother does some beaver trapping around Tully lake and some other properties.

Comment

Prairie dogs and coyotes are in the mix too

Comment

I'm even considering using the Mosin Nagant in the later part of the season once there's meat in the freezer.

180gr SP, 7.62x54R by Sellier & Bellot, about 2600 fps.

Comment

A friend has one and says it is very, very accurate. If you chronograph the S&B you will find they over state their balistics. I found that out with the .303 British.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          I'll hunt squirrels for a few weeks starting late September to mid October. Some of it will be with my Dad's old Winchester 74 semi-auto and some will be with a suppressed Ruger American Rimfire. May even use a single-shot 12 gauge a time or two or a suppressed Ruger MK III.

Mid October to Mid November will be archery deer, mainly with a PSE crossbow. There's a possibility I may use the old PSE compound but that will take much more practice. I'll be in a lease this season and will be hunting over bait.

Special muzzleloader season lasts 5 days in mid November and I'll try to go at least one time. The CVA Electra with electronic ignition will be my primary rifle. 50 caliber with 240gr XTP sabot over 100gr of loose triple seven.

Late November to early February is modern rifle season. The primary rifle will be a suppressed Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM. I may use up to 6 different rifles, depending on my mood.

Pigs are always targets of opportunity. They're more likely to be found on public land and I hope to get to the WMA's a few times.

We don't have a tag system and there's a three buck limit. Does are one per day and there's no limit on pigs.
                          Are the ticks heavy ? What do you do for them ? We have three kinds in Ohio that are a concern.

Comment

Moose, deer and grouse/snowshoe hare. My dad was lucky enough to draw a bull moose tag in Maine this year and I'm his sub-permittee. This will be my second moose hunt and his first. It's in a great zone and just a 5 mile drive from the family cabin. Deer will be in Maine and Connecticut. Looking forward to the fall!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Are the ticks heavy ? What do you do for them ? We have three kinds in Ohio that are a concern.
                              The ticks are not heavy but there until we've had a couple of nights below freezing. I spray my ankles and boots with repellent containing DEET. That and staying on the move helps. No repellent when hunting in colder weather.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad