Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
    Where is Ol’ Clay Cooper when you need him? Lol🤣
    Pulled this up on Google as I couldn’t find it using the forum search feature.

Clay Cooper
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

04-27-2014, 09:21 AM
    ken.mcloud said it best! “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”
    -
    On the other hand
    -
    "We have not heard from Ken McCloud in ages hope he was not carrying a fast stepping small caliber rifle and ran into a testosterone laden elephant that could not spell hydrostatic shock. Just teasing Clay. Kindest Regards"
    -Happy Myles

Classic post!

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post

WAM's from Washington, I think the maximum distance they shoot things at up there is about 10ft, place is full of trees, laser range finders out past 25 yards, besides that he comes down to my state and cleans us out of elk.
      RR, you might be SOL this year. #1 son is coming along and if anyone takes an elk, “Mr. Lucky” will. Better hunt 1st season…

Happy Trails

Comment

I remember one Clayton Copper who visited us briefly a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
          I remember one Clayton Copper who visited us briefly a long time ago.
          One of Clay’s sock puppets…..

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Sorry for the miscommunication ‘dawg, those are the bullets I meant. Same package as these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73AD1165-4052-454F-91E9-27F5B6FD182B.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	775758

I picked up more of them when Gander Mtn went out, along with some Hornady solid coppers. We should be set for sometime. Our muzzleloader season runs just 10 days with only one weekend in between at a time when work starts to crank up, you know how that goes.

I am looking forward to trying out the new Optima I picked up last year. Never even sighted it in. the Kid used my old one the couple times he went out. I bought conversion plugs for both to use Blackhorn 209. Supposed to be great stuff both performance wise and for cleanup. Need to get after it.
            That’s what I used to use. Can’t find them locally anymore. I’m thinking of making the switch to blackthorn also. My optima will print about 3inches with pellets loose powder will be more accurate but just haven’t had time to go shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

That’s what I used to use. Can’t find them locally anymore. I’m thinking of making the switch to blackthorn also. My optima will print about 3inches with pellets loose powder will be more accurate but just haven’t had time to go shooting.
              These are on the opposite end of the hydrostatic shock spectrum. They have NONE; pretty much like a shotgun slug. I use the Hornady 240g sabots and have shot only two deer with them. I'm happy with them. Both were heart shots. One was standing in a meadow at 135 yards - full penetration but slug split, leaving two exit wounds about six inches apart. Deer never fell and bolted about 80 yards and died. The second was running through the trees about 40 yards out. He never fell but accelerated to warp speed. He hit a six foot thick oak tree dead center about 50 yards away at ludicrous speed (faster than warp speed).

Neither deer showed any signs of hydrostatic shock and I doubt any black powder rifle ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                I don't reload my rounds so I'm limited to factory ammo which is much more than 100-200 fps slower than your roll your owns. I don't think I'll be able replicate your shock results.
                Franchi, you can get HSM 25-06 Rem ammo loaded with the 75g Hornady VMAX bullet going at 3600 fps. That is enough velocity to let you experience hydrostatic shock within 100 yards or so. Ammo is tough to find nowadays but keep your eye peeled for it online. This is a highly frangible varmint bullet so please don't use it on deer as it may not penetrate at all. It is so frangible that it may not penetrate a coyote but it sure knocks them dead. It has been one of my most accurate varmint bullets and is fine for most woodchuck sized varmints out to 600 yards if your rifle shoots that well.

Factory ammo in 75g is about as good as you can get for varmints though. This is the bullet that makes the 25-06 shoot like a 22-250. There have been many Internet comments about this bullet burning barrels but my opinion is that ALL bullets coming from overbore cartridges burn barrels. Therefore, about 90% of the 25-05 bullets I have shot have been 75g bullets and I sure don't hesitate to use them because of fears for barrel wear. By reloading, you can get this bullet over 3700 fps but even at 3600, they are devastating within 100 yards when it comes to hydrostatic shock. That is what I normally used for small animals like rabbits, birds, etc.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad