Pig Hunting - Guns and Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

pighunter, I don't like the CreedMore, or is it Crede Moore? Or Creed Moor?
    Hell, I don't know! It's just too damned hard to spell!

Had an older gentleman come in our shop one day (late 70's) wanting to look at a rifle for his son.
    His only requisite was that it be "American" made and an "American" cartridge. He had been in WWII and DID NOT want anything made overseas.
    Trying to get a "feel" for what he might be looking for, the shop owner asked him what he shot.
    The answer was immediate and sharp, "A 6.5 Schmidt-Rubin!"
    I've got one and it works well for me independent of how anyone 'feels' about it.

From Wikipedia:

"The 6.5mm Creedmoor (6.5×48 mm), designated 6.5 Creedmoor by SAAMI, 6.5 Creedmoor by the C.I.P. or 6.5 CM or 6.5 CRDMR for short, is a centerfire rifle cartridge introduced by Hornady in 2007, developed by Hornady Senior Ballistics Scientist Dave Emary in partnership with Dennis DeMille, the Vice-President of Product Development at Creedmoor Sports, hence the name. The cartridge is a necked down modification of the .30 Thompson Center."

Comment

• Bubba, here's some Texas hogs dropped by an AR in 6.5CM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Bubba, here's some Texas hogs dropped by an AR in 6.5CM.

pighunter, read my P.S. post.
        1) I think the 6.5 CM. I think it's a fine cartridge
        2) I don't think it's the cartridge that people dislike, I think it's the "gunwriter hype" people are getting tired of. Curious just how much money gunwriters made lauding the 6.5CM?

Comment

• Here is a cousin to the 6.5 Creed. 6.5X55 Swiss. The Swiss have been using this rifle and round in long range competition since about 1890 and big game like elk as well. Here is my Mauser Mod 96 sporterized Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5X55 tsrget  11 23 14 004.png
Views:	38
Size:	7.18 MB
ID:	773260 with target. Not bad for a hundred and thirty year old rifle. Imagine what it could do if it was accurized ? Ha Ha Ha. Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

pighunter, read my P.S. post.
            1) I think the 6.5 CM. I think it's a fine cartridge
            2) I don't think it's the cartridge that people dislike, I think it's the "gunwriter hype" people are getting tired of. Curious just how much money gunwriters made lauding the 6.5CM?
            The writer, Hornady and a competition shooter all collaborated on the design requirements of the creed. Read the story, it is really amazing how they came together to get the finished product.

Comment

• Dan E with my Tikka LH 6.5 Swede at 500 yards. That is a 3-shot group.
              My cold bore one-shot impact was just using the reticle on the far right at 2:00 earlier.
              I was aiming for the far right "+" and barely nicked it with splatter...I was pleased.
              See, I have rifles

Comment

• FWIW-I have several rifles, including a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.
                I just haven't killed anything with it yet, but steel and paper.
                I have a 6.5x47 Lapua rifle as well.
                The Swede is the only factory rifle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                  FWIW-I have several rifles, including a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.
                  I just haven't killed anything with it yet, but steel and paper.
                  I have a 6.5x47 Lapua rifle as well.
                  The Swede is the only factory rifle.
                  My Sweed is a 5 shot group. If I did not drop the rifle from my shoulder it would be a better group. I get excited when I see a group developing then move the stock and blow it. I do it all the time with my .300Wby which is capable of one hole groups. When I shot the .280 very windy.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	targets 003.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	773268 Click image for larger version

Name:	targets 004.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	605.4 KB
ID:	773269 .300Wby I dropped the stock from my shoulder.

Comment

• American Hunter | Behind the Bullet: 6.5x55 Swedish

Comment

• The intent of my original question in post 112, was to learn difference of recoil of the 6.5CM from that of other big game cartridges. No one actually answered that question.......so, what allows the recoil of a 6.5CM to be much less than a 270, 30-06 or other big game rifle ? If the 6.5CM is a capable rifle for big game, why the lesser recoil from other rifles ? Is it powder charge, bullet weight, or what ? Or is my intelligence lacking in the reasons given for me to understand what has been stated........?

Comment

• Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                        The intent of my original question in post 112, was to learn difference of recoil of the 6.5CM from that of other big game cartridges. No one actually answered that question.......so, what allows the recoil of a 6.5CM to be much less than a 270, 30-06 or other big game rifle ? If the 6.5CM is a capable rifle for big game, why the lesser recoil from other rifles ? Is it powder charge, bullet weight, or what ? Or is my intelligence lacking in the reasons given for me to understand what has been stated........?
                        Less powder, sometimes lighter bullet.

Bullet construction these days makes smaller cartridges much more consistent performers. It’s not just the 6.5 Creed that benefits from that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                          The intent of my original question in post 112, was to learn difference of recoil of the 6.5CM from that of other big game cartridges. No one actually answered that question.......so, what allows the recoil of a 6.5CM to be much less than a 270, 30-06 or other big game rifle ? If the 6.5CM is a capable rifle for big game, why the lesser recoil from other rifles ? Is it powder charge, bullet weight, or what ? Or is my intelligence lacking in the reasons given for me to understand what has been stated........?
                          Richard, there's a good explanation of recoil by Chuck Hawkes. Here's his page on the subject.
                          ----------------------------------------------------
                          Rifle Recoil (chuckhawks.com)

"Recoil is measured in something called a recoil pendulum, or calculated by mathematical formula based on Newton's physical law that says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. MV = MV (mass times velocity equals mass times velocity), the momentum must be equal on both sides of the equation. Newton's law explains why rocket motors are able to propel the space shuttle into orbit, and why guns kick.

"The principle factors that must be considered to calculate recoil are bullet weight (mass), bullet velocity, powder charge, and rifle weight (mass). The mass times the velocity of everything ejected from the muzzle of a rifle (principally the bullet and powder gasses) will be equaled by the mass times the velocity of the recoiling rifle.
                          ----------------------------------------------------

So, the calculation is easy and there's several online to help. Here's an example:
                          ShootersCalculator.com | Recoil Calculator

Sometimes I guess on rifle weight but let's be picky and look up the info from factory published data for my rifle. The result is about 7.75 lbs.

Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor = 6.25lbs
                          Nikon Prostaff 5 scope = 17.2 ounces = 1.07 lbs
                          Scope Rings = 0.15 lbs
                          Rifle Sling = 0.15 lbs
                          Three unfired rounds in the magazine = 0.13 lbs

Let's say the load I plan to use is a 120gr bullet over 42gr of powder with a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps from a 22-inch barrel. Recoil energy is 11.93 ft-lbs, which is considered mild.

Now compare to shooting a .30-06 in the same weight rifle. I'll use one of my mild loads of 150gr bullet with 50gr of powder for 2770 fps. Recoil energy is 18.12 ft-lbs and the shooter would notice the difference.

Note, muzzle velocity was about the same. The big difference is the mass of bullet and powder. Recoil is 12 ft-lbs vs 18 ft-lbs so you could say the '06 is 50% more.
                          Last edited by PigHunter; 06-09-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• So, what does that .30-06 give you for the 50% more recoil? A bullet weighing 30gr more that's slightly wider but has less sectional density and ballistic coefficient. Up close it won't make a difference but way out there it could.

Comment

• Nice article pighunter.

Bhr, after shoulder replacement surgery, I've gone totally semi auto. Well.. except for my Ruger M77/22.
                              The number one reason is "reduced recoil".
                              The AR has a buffered bolt, a lighter bullet and smaller powder charge.
                              My shotgun has gone from Rem 870 12 gauge to a Mossberg bolt .410 and an antique Remington "Sportsman" 16 gauge. I had Briley choke tubes installed on the fixed choke barrel.
                              Even though the recoil of the semi auto 16 gauge is acceptable, I still wouldn't want to spend the day on a trap/skeet range with it. But it's the shoulder, not the shotgun.

I've never shot a 6.5 CM, but I can imagine that recoil is much less than even my beloved .270 Win.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

My Sweed is a 5 shot group. If I did not drop the rifle from my shoulder it would be a better group. I get excited when I see a group developing then move the stock and blow it. I do it all the time with my .300Wby which is capable of one hole groups. When I shot the .280 very windy.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	targets 003.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	773268 Click image for larger version

Name:	targets 004.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	605.4 KB
ID:	773269 .300Wby I dropped the stock from my shoulder.

Were both of these groups at 50 yards?
                                I saw the 280 and the 300 Weatherby. I did not see the Swede group

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad