Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Hunting - Guns and Loads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    See, PH. A 9mm wouldn't do the deed to the pig. So a 6.5 Creedmoor? Never. A 9mm is 2.5 mm more. It's simple math. And the 30-06 kilt him dead. (I'm not sure how to subtract 9 from 30-06, so you're on your own.)

    Dakotaman: That 44 mag should have thrown a fireball at least 20 feet instead of a mere 10. Maybe try magnum primers.
    Lemme see, that's easy math.... 3006 - 9 = 81,283,098 votes for Biden. (had to use a voting machine to help with the calculation)

    Comment


    • #92
      C'mon guys!
      You multiple 9 million meters by .0413.
      Then you add 12 and carry 5.
      You should come up with 17.5 karats per hour.

      Easy peasy!

      Comment


      • #93
        Darn it Bubba, you figured the meters incorrectly, it is .0418.....then add 22 and carry 7 ! You need to pay closer attention to the wind direction at 8 PM on Mondays and not holidays to make certain your karats equal the diameter of karats squared. I thought we went over this in your training session 12 tears ago.........

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

          Lemme see, that's easy math.... 3006 - 9 = 81,283,098 votes for Biden. (had to use a voting machine to help with the calculation)
          Correction:: Not votes, ballots.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            Darn it Bubba, you figured the meters incorrectly, it is .0418.....then add 22 and carry 7 ! You need to pay closer attention to the wind direction at 8 PM on Mondays and not holidays to make certain your karats equal the diameter of karats squared. I thought we went over this in your training session 12 tears ago.........
            What can I say, bhr?
            I got my tongue wrapped around my eye tooth and couldn't see what I was saying! 😝

            Comment


            • #96
              Occasionally, not often, but enough to be noticeable, ya'll's ruminations and ramblings down rabbit trails that no cottontail could lay down, leave me scratching my head. I never was any good at math above what I could figure by pulling my boots off, but I know that a .30-'06 will kill anything I have ever encountered plumb graveyard dead, and 9m/ms are what you shoot before you grow up and get a .45.
              About the 6.5 CM, I have no comment, but privately doubt it will ever replace the .30-'06.
              If and when anybody ever catches that Bigfoot, male or female, please post pictures.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                Occasionally, not often, but enough to be noticeable, ya'll's ruminations and ramblings down rabbit trails that no cottontail could lay down, leave me scratching my head. I never was any good at math above what I could figure by pulling my boots off, but I know that a .30-'06 will kill anything I have ever encountered plumb graveyard dead, and 9m/ms are what you shoot before you grow up and get a .45.
                About the 6.5 CM, I have no comment, but privately doubt it will ever replace the .30-'06.
                If and when anybody ever catches that Bigfoot, male or female, please post pictures.
                Too late, the 6.5 CM is already replacing the .30-06... from a F&S article March 2021

                " a major ammunition manufacturer told me that their long-time sales-leading .30/06 load is now second to the Creed"

                "New 6.5 Creedmoor rifles are also outselling ought-sixes. In the past, when a manufacturer introduced a new rifle, it was always chambered for the latter. Now, some new rifles are offered in 6.5 Creedmoor and not in .30/06."

                Is the 6.5 Creedmoor The New King of Cartridges? (fieldandstream.com)

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                  T

                  " a major ammunition manufacturer told me that their long-time sales-leading .30/06 load is now second to the Creed"


                  Is the 6.5 Creedmoor The New King of Cartridges? (fieldandstream.com)


                  Well, DUH! You need more ammunition when you maim, wound, or outright MISS your quarry.

                  30-06, one shot, dead...60% of the time, it works EVERY time!

                  PS:

                  Q: How do you know that the rifleman sitting next you at the bar shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor?

                  A: Easy! Within 3 minutes of sitting down, he will tell you!

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Just what is it about the Creedmoor that makes it such a hot item, and such a topic for debate?
                    Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I'm not a rifleman myself -- I know that models and calibers have always been points for discussion or argument, but it seems like this Creedmoor topic pushes more buttons than usual. Or pushes them harder, at least. What gives?

                    Comment


                    • Well, I'm glad you took it so well. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

                      At least we can all agree that AR's are totally worthless for hunting, and to be avoided at all costs.

                      Comment


                      • Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5 and .30-06.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	773225 Some manufacturers are now selling more 6.5mm ammo than .30/06.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                          Just what is it about the Creedmoor that makes it such a hot item, and such a topic for debate?
                          Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I'm not a rifleman myself -- I know that models and calibers have always been points for discussion or argument, but it seems like this Creedmoor topic pushes more buttons than usual. Or pushes them harder, at least. What gives?
                          People have always argued about cartridges and even different bullets.
                          The 6.5 Creed is popular for a number of good reasons.
                          It is the "fanboys" of this cartridge that get under the skin of others so strongly.
                          Some of these fanboys extol their favorite cartridge to the degree that it is better than than almost anything else.
                          Another reason, is, some people can't stand another cartridge becoming more popular than their favorite.
                          Some advantages of the Creed, is that the factory ammo and factory guns were set-up with ammo for both short and LR. Factory rifles had proper twist rates for the higher BC bullets.
                          It also works great in SA rifles without needing to seat it too deep.
                          Light recoil, and reasonable throat life.
                          The light recoil is one of the biggest factors. A lot of hunters/shooters don't handle recoil well, and develop bad shooting habits. If you ask them, they are shooting one-hole groups all the time, but put them under pressure of time and or grouping against others and wheels fall off of the bus for a lot of shooters. This mindset is difficult to teach because of long-term bad habits and ego... This same group regularly kills deer though.
                          The Creed cartridges and the cartridges that are similar to the Creed work for most situations.
                          Maybe this starts to answer your question.
                          I have personally witnessed a lot of kills in South Africa with a handful of 6.5 Creeds using Accubonds.
                          Proper bullet and proper placement are king, and when you have an easy to shoot gun, it makes it that much easier.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                            Well, I'm glad you took it so well. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

                            At least we can all agree that AR's are totally worthless for hunting, and to be avoided at all costs.
                            Thanks, I've almost been in tears thinking you were being mean.

                            Tried AR's four hunting seasons (until I recently sold them at a gun show). I prefer my single-shots and bolt-actions for deer and pigs.

                            Comment


                            • Have I killed stuff with AR pistols and AR-15 and AR-10 rifles? Yea
                              Are they my preference for hunting and or varminting? Nope

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Ernie View Post

                                People have always argued about cartridges and even different bullets.
                                The 6.5 Creed is popular for a number of good reasons.
                                It is the "fanboys" of this cartridge that get under the skin of others so strongly.
                                Some of these fanboys extol their favorite cartridge to the degree that it is better than than almost anything else.
                                Another reason, is, some people can't stand another cartridge becoming more popular than their favorite.
                                Some advantages of the Creed, is that the factory ammo and factory guns were set-up with ammo for both short and LR. Factory rifles had proper twist rates for the higher BC bullets.
                                It also works great in SA rifles without needing to seat it too deep.
                                Light recoil, and reasonable throat life.
                                The light recoil is one of the biggest factors. A lot of hunters/shooters don't handle recoil well, and develop bad shooting habits. If you ask them, they are shooting one-hole groups all the time, but put them under pressure of time and or grouping against others and wheels fall off of the bus for a lot of shooters. This mindset is difficult to teach because of long-term bad habits and ego... This same group regularly kills deer though.
                                The Creed cartridges and the cartridges that are similar to the Creed work for most situations.
                                Maybe this starts to answer your question.
                                I have personally witnessed a lot of kills in South Africa with a handful of 6.5 Creeds using Accubonds.
                                Proper bullet and proper placement are king, and when you have an easy to shoot gun, it makes it that much easier.
                                Thank you, Ernie. I figured I'd finally ask, since Creedmoor conversations always seem so much more heated than the old "270 or 30-06," which really nobody seems to discuss anymore except as a joke. I got the idea that it was always just more of a joking thing, but probably over the decades, every new development has sparked similar debate as the Creedmoor's doing now -- only the advent of social media and internet forums has simply made it more of a bee's nest.

                                I have a stack of FS and OL from the 1940s and 50s. I think I'll go through them and see what cartridges were being argued about back then. Anyone got a guess (or actually remember)?

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to Just Right
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Your mention of the .380/9mm is what drew my attention.
                                  I meant no offense to you or anyone else.
                                  I just don't think the .380 or the 9mm aren't...
                                  Today, 08:44 AM
                                • Just Right
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                  06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                                • Reply to Just Right
                                  by dewman
                                  FB: your comment confuses me as to why you put it in the context of quoting me? How does what I said have any bearing on the point you were making?
                                  Today, 08:23 AM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Safe travels, mi amigo!...
                                  Today, 07:44 AM
                                • TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by fitch270
                                  Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

                                  Nickelback

                                  “If Today Was Your Last Day”

                                  ...
                                  Yesterday, 07:11 AM

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X