Pig Hunting - Guns and Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I'm a sceptic. Any BF Researcher is already on my list of crazies by their own self-definition. How one would chose to spend time is probably unpredictable.

Science professor explains why Bigfoot's likely not real (mansfieldnewsjournal.com)
    BF might be flying around in those UFO's that nobody knows what they are or where they are from,

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

BF might be flying around in those UFO's that nobody knows what they are or where they are from,
      Watch out at the hunting camp. It could be a female...

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigfoot female r.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	853.8 KB
ID:	772967

Comment

From Hogzilla to Sasquatch to female Bigfoot! Ya'll are all over the map. Only thing I have to say about that, is this: Ernie, a .375 Winchester with a 250 gr. bullet will not ricochet of of a hog's head, even straight on. This is not speculation or a second hand tale. She weighed about 275 lbs. and had 2½" cutters. Not a trophy, not a Hogzilla, just one charging hog that ended up very dead. As Ruark said, "Use enough gun."

Comment

I do not worry about ricochets off of a hogs head personally.
          I am not doubting that it has happened, just not worried about for the way that I hunt...when I am hunting pigs-Which is not very often.
          If I am hunting hogs at night, using brand "unobtainiam" stuff, I am also with someone I trust with my life, who has killed more hogs via spot and stalk than anyone I know with all kinds of weapons. I don't fear hogs. I respect any cornered or wounded animal. If I am in deep cover and it is a wounded hog, I will wait till tomorrow. We do not do a lot of close up killing of pigs, and I am more typically in open areas. My only headshot on a hog was at night at under 200 yards, and it was a side head shot with a AR-10 type 308 Winchester 168 TAP.
          If I am hunting hogs in daylight hours, I am more likely with another friend, and am hunting out of a box blind. I will gladly use my 357 Magnums, 44 Magnums or one of my single-shot specialty pistols without any concerns.

Comment

The rabbit trails of Bigfoot and such are entertaining, but I have no concerns there either.
            My only concerns when I am out, is people who do not belong or who are breaking the law, and I happen to be near them or accidentally bump into them when they are doing something they are not supposed to.
            To date, there has been not times where I was ever in danger or threatened.
            I am watchful of those things, no matter where I am at. Big furry 2-legged critters and UFO's are not in my thoughts when I am hunting.

Comment

Years ago when the Govt. was trying to control weed, black helicopters would fly over my place with special cameras that highlighted weed plants from others. They have discontinued that program and given up on enforcement.

Comment

I do not know what to say, except...get out your guns and do more shooting and hunting

Comment

Had a good practice session with the Strikeman laser target system. We try to practice at least once a week. Strikeman keeps track of individual scores so you can see improvement from week to week. We are practicing with 9mm, .40, and .45.

Comment

He went off to hunt the fierce wild pig
                    Thinking all he needed was his Sig
                    Much to his bad surprise
                    When shooting between eyes
                    Was like hitting the beast with a twig

(PigHunter original - just composed)

Comment

That's a good one

Comment

Thanks! Thought it was on topic.

I've told this story before but not recently. Years ago, one of my paramedic brother's had been training with the SWAT team in order to become a 1st responder if an officer went down, sort of like being a combat medic. Well, on a paid pig hunt with our Dad, he'd carried his issued Glock 9mm loaded with FMJ along with a rifle.

The guide had set them up over different feeders and soon, the pigs came to the one under my brother's stand to eat. He was not impressed with the lack of challenge, so instead of using the rifle, he proceeds to shoot at one with those 9mm FMJ's. The pig was wounded but still moving so my brother came down from the stand to give chase, continuing to fire at the pig.

As the poor beast approached my Dad's stand, my brother yelled for him not to shoot because he wanted to finish it. Dad, being hard of hearing, thought he heard my brother say shoot. One round from the .30-06 dropped and killed the pig... Apparently, at least nine of those FMJ's had hit the pig to little effect before that 180gr CoreLokt properly did the job.

Comment

PigHunter- Read above post, regarding "Use Enough Gun". Don't know the caliber of the Sig, but obviously, inadequate for the occasion. Nice poetry.

Edit- Yep, an '06 is obviously enough gun.
                          crm

Comment

FMJ's...Speechless

Comment

9mm?
                              Nuff said!
                              Guess a 9mm might beat a thrown rock, but not by much! LOL!

Comment

See, PH. A 9mm wouldn't do the deed to the pig. So a 6.5 Creedmoor? Never. A 9mm is 2.5 mm more. It's simple math. And the 30-06 kilt him dead. (I'm not sure how to subtract 9 from 30-06, so you're on your own.)

Dakotaman: That 44 mag should have thrown a fireball at least 20 feet instead of a mere 10. Maybe try magnum primers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  labrador12

"... I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! ..."

A handgun is to get you to your long gun! LOL!
                                  Today, 09:34 AM
                                • Just Right
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                  06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                                • Reply to Just Right
                                  by dewman
                                  Wasn't offended my amigo, only confused. Lately my default setting 🤦🏻‍♂️👍🏻Not a fan as well. I carry a 357 when I'm packing....
                                  Today, 09:33 AM
                                • Reply to Just Right
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Lot's of folks carry the 9mm. In fact, several federal agencies have dropped the .40 S&W for the 9mm.
                                  I think and the agency I'm most familiar...
                                  Today, 09:31 AM
                                • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  The "illegitimate" select committee

Bennie Thompson, D - Mississippi, Chair.
                                  Zoe Lofgren, - D California.
                                  Adam Schiff,...
                                  Today, 09:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X