X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the 158 XTP here as well.
    In South Africa I used the 158 grain Swift

Comment

"... Back to the Corelokts...Since I rarely use factory ammo, I had never shot a big game animal with a Corelokt until a couple of years ago. ..."

During the late 50's, early 60's, when I actually became aware of "ammo", I do believe everybody in our camp used Remington "Corelokt" ammo. Occasionally, you would see a Winchester box.
      The camp across the fence were real sticklers for the Winchester Silver Tip ammo. A couple of years later, they quit using Silver Tip, saying it didn't open up on deer and they lost several wounded deer.
      Except for some rare Federal ammo, Remington was all I remember seeing.
      It seems that on a rare occasion, somebody would come in with Peters metallic ammo.

But that was long ago and far away! LOL!

Comment

Have been shooting CoreLokt's for years. Tried a box of Super X Silver Tips in -06 and that was the end of that. On a trip to MI a local hit a nice deer with 06 silver tips and he said it bolted away like not even touched. We searched for it and never found it. I have had that happen. CoreLokt's for deer and bear and it seldom takes a second shot.

Comment

Another great performer are Barnes bullets. I've never lost an animal I've hit with one.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            Another great performer are Barnes bullets. I've never lost an animal I've hit with one.
            Ditto. From big deer to bull elk, the TSX and TTSX has never failed in any weight or caliber. Neither has a Trophy Bonded…

Comment

Well the only two pigs I killed were killed with a Remington 1100 twelve gauge loaded with #4 for squirrel hunting. Free reloads from my wife’s uncle years ago. Anyways so close that the holes in the pigs were barley bigger than a quarter. I got two of the five that literally popped out of the brush at my feet. Didn’t know how much actually danger I was in until my wife’s uncle told me. Now I don’t go hunting with out .45 on my hip 1911 flavor. It may no be perfect but it’s what I carry and practice with. Beware the man with one gun whole thing.

Comment

Anybody know what Hornady's "XTP" stands for?

If there has ever been a more 80-ish moniker...well, who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

eXtreme Terminal Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Yep, no matter what it's called that design is a performer. I use 240gr XTP's in my muzzleloaders, 180gr in my .357 Max, and 155gr in the .357 mag. Last year I sold my .45 Colt but dropped deer and pigs with it using 250gr and 300gr XTP's.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      Myths I've heard about hogs.

1) If you're not shooting at least a .300 Win Mag, don't shoot a pig!
                      2) A .44 magnum slug just ricocheted off the hogs "shield"!
                      3) The feral hog is the "lion" of American game animals!
                      Bubba, I am convinced that it has to do with the style of hunting you do. If you bait hogs and shoot them from a blind, you can kill them with an accurate .22LR. If you hunt sows or boars that weight under 150 pounds you may see them fleeing rather than attacking. If you hunt on the ground behind dogs trained to find BIG 200+ pound boars, you just may get an attack. If you get attacked by a 200+ pound boar, they are dangerous and you had better be prepared. My thoughts on your myths:

1) That's not the only good cartridge but there is NO way I am following a big boar with a 44 Mag. A 250-300 pound boar's shield will STOP the bullet without penetration in head on charges. That cartridge does not have enough shocking power to stop a charging boar. I shot one through the heart and didn't even know he was hit for about 20 seconds. Do you have any idea of the carnage such a hog is capable of given 20 seconds? I have personally seen my 44 Mag ricochet off a charging boar's skull and I have personally seen a point blank .357 bullet fail to penetrate the hide of a charging boar. A guide, whose honesty I trust, told me that he has seen the shield of a big boar stop a .270 bullet and I don't doubt it.

2) I have seen it. The 250 pound boar (certified scale weight) was charging at about 40 mph at about 20 yards. I put my thumb through the .44 mag bullet hole that started between his eyes, went straight between his ears and exited the hump in his back, clipping off three vertebra. The hog turned, thankfully, but did not fall or stumble.

3) I have personally witnessed four charges from boars in the 250-350 pound weight class. If you have ever seen such a thing, you too would compare them to the lion (although the lion is heavier). One attacked at about 45 mph from about 200 yards away and slid in to the shooter, stone dead from a 12 gauge slug. The other three attacked at that speed but stopped 20-30 yards away to tip their heads back, bare their tusks and growl JUST LIKE AN ANGRY LION. Same sound, same pitch and same threat of impending doom. Those three then attacked at full speed, one nearly killing a dog at my feet with a 2" deep slash as it hit. I don't know what you expect of a lion but if you expect it to be more, I wish you well.

If you think I am lying that is your choice but I have witnesses.

Comment

DakotaMan, I remember you telling those stories. So far, I've not run into any feral pigs that big and fierce. But, there's no doubt they're tough critters. That's why I like the Barnes monolithic bullets with their penetration and good expansion.

I may switch my load for the 6.5 Creedmoor from the Hornady 143gr ELDX factory loads to the Barnes 120gr TTSX handload. Have you any experience with those bullets in the 6.5 CM on pigs?

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

If you think I am lying that is your choice but I have witnesses.

Now why would we think that?

Comment

Maybe there needs to be a grizzly restocking to clean up those bad piggies?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

eXtreme Terminal Performance
                              Sounds like a Jean-Claude VanDammit movie, doesn't it?

Comment

This article can be quite misleading.

1. Big feral Russian boars DO exist. I personally saw 7 that weighed in on certified scales between 250 and 350 pounds in one three day period hunting the swamps of south Georgia. Just because some people don't use scales and overestimate size doesn't mean ALL people do. Pigzillas ARE rare but 250 pound feral boars are not (in Georgia anyway). If you hunt on foot, you just might encounter one. He might be charging you when you first notice him.

2. Big feral boars not only exist but they DO have a shield that protects their chest. It can be thought of as 1/2" of saddle leather stretched over 3" of marshmallow fat. It gives on impact and the bullet does not easily penetrate the hide. I have seen it stop a point blank .357 and a guide I trust has seen it stop a .270. This is a common target in a head-on charge but you need a bullet with tremendous penetration capability to use it. I would never attempt it with a 44 Mag but have seen a 12 gauge slug succeed at 10 yards.

3. Sows and piglets tend to run for cover and that is all many hunters have ever seen. Sows may attack if you are messing with their brood. 250+ pound boars have a tendency to attack simply because you have entered their territory. I saw 7 such boars in a three day period in Georgia. Four of the seven committed unprovoked attacks just because I entered their territory. One growled and bared its cutters from 200 yards away before charging full speed. He was shot at about 45 mph at 10 yards and slid dead into the shooter. One hit the tracking dog at my feet and nearly killed him. If you hunt these big boars on foot, you had better be prepared and have courage because you could get hurt if you don't.

4. You can't use your experience on 40 pound pigs to predict the behavior of a 300 pound Russian boar. They are two different animals. One is a fearful runt and the other is the king of the forest. They behave differently. Bank on it. Just because one hunter has never seen a big Russian boar, doesn't mean they don't exist. I would rather be safe than sorry.

5. BIG boars have more stamina than just about any animal you have hunted on American soil. A deer is a wimp and an elk my run but it most often will not choose to charge and kill you. Alaska has some bears you had better watch out for but their charge won't be any more deadly. There is no way that the low velocity of most pistol bullets will shock a big boar (or a big bear for that matter) enough to put it down instantly. I've only used a 44 Mag and that has fine penetrating power for broadside shots or quartering away shots on big boars. All my hits have penetrated fully but I would never attempt penetration of the shield with any pistol bullet. If you are hunting on the ground and are susceptible to a frontal charge, do not use a pistol. I shot one broadside with full penetration through the heart. The hog showed no sign of being hit until it dropped dead after about 20 seconds. Fortunately, it was chasing tracking dogs for those 20 seconds rather than me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad