Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grizzly mauling near Yellowstone kills backcountry guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly mauling near Yellowstone kills backcountry guide.

A Montana backcountry guide has died after he was mauled by a large grizzly bear that was probably defending a nearby moose carcass just outside Yellowstone National Park, officials said Monday.

https://news.yahoo.com/grizzly-mauli...153207158.html
    Last edited by 99explorer; 04-19-2021, 04:25 PM.

He was fishing by himself in God's Country. I have spent a lot of time in grizzly country by myself, and am going again this year. There is a special fear when you walk into a circle in the willows with a chewed moose in the center of it, bear tracks and scat everywhere. I've backed away and lived. This dude had a bad day. I've done it and I'll do it again. Life just isn't safe if you enjoy the great good land.

Comment

I guess some of us are born without survival instincts.

Comment

Have you ever been outside of your basement? Basement furnaces explode occasionally. You are not 100% safe curled in a fetal position in you basement. You live a sad existence. I'll be catching dollies and dogs in Alaska by mid-July. Last year on the way to Bellingham while making the 3000 mile drive I stopped at a pull-off in Montana. While I was stretching, walking my lab, I looked up the mountainside and observed a small bear cub on a trail paralleling the busy highway. I didn't see mom and couldn't tell if it was a brown black bear cub or a grizzly. +P and I got back in the truck and continued on. Just another day in an enjoyable life.

Comment

Have you looked into bungee jumping?
          It doesn't score well in a risk/reward analysis.

http://www.outdoor-sport-leisure.net/extreme-sports.htm

Comment

Bungee Jumping is the sport of leaping off tall structures while connected to a thick rubber band. There is not only the thrill of the free-fall but the the jumper flies upwards as cord rebounds. Maybe this is not an extreme sport as the skill is down to the knowledge of the commercial operator setting up the equipment correctly and for most who participate it is just a one-off thrill.

Comment

Nope. I ride motorcycles, fish in bear inhabitated waters, I've rappelled down cliffs above the Arctic Circle to band peregrine falcons for the Canadian Wildlife Service, but no bungee jumping. Drive 3000 miles to enjoy being surrounded by wilderness, yes. No paying someone to help me bungee jump. I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes either. I'm not stupid enough to vote for Joe Biden, that's mega stupid and reckless. Not to mention horrible for the USA.

Comment

Jack O'Connor used to worry about hunting sheep because their habitat was in grizzly country.
                And he had an armed guide and his .270 for protection.
                What a wuss:-))

Comment

Real people consider the possible problems that they face in enjoying their lives. The term situational awareness describes it. Men make decisions and live with the consequences.

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad