New Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Things

Some interesting stories in the recent Fur-Fish-Game. Canoeing down rivers to hunt for wild boars, and stalking streambanks to hunt muskrats. Are any of you guys planning any kind of new hunting or fishing this year?

I may try antelope hunting in a new area this year as it is getting tough to get a non-resident tag where I usually hunt.

Speaking of muskrats, for several years I harvested muskrats with my 25-06 during the last two hours of daylight. I sat on a hill overlooking a shallow lake and shot within about a quarter mile radius. They were easy to spot in a scope as they made V ripples as they swam. I would shoot just ahead of their nose . The concussion of the bullet impact would kill them instantly without leaving a mark on their fur. Then I would paddle out in a kayak and retrieve furs. In this location, I could see about 11 miles across the prairie so ricochets were not a problem and that is pretty rare.

Comment

How much do you pay for a year ?

Comment

In Central NY we had a TV personality who had a Saturday TV show primarily on hunting and had Remington as his major sponsor. Played a lot of Remington movies and clips that highlighted their firearms and ammo. He used to stop in to my Fathers place on his way to the TV station. Entertaining guy who had a good following in Remington Country.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Jim, it will be $900 and 2 to 3 work days. One way drive time is 45 minutes so there's no need for overnight stay. There's a sign out / sign in board.
          I just heard a Dr. caution the virus may spike this summer as people in the south head in to A/C spaces to beat the heat.
          Shop for MERV-13 or better filters. They are suppose to trap viruses.

Comment

Going to try to spend enough time on the place in Oklahoma to get my pup trained up to tree squirrels. Not new hunting experience, just getting reacquainted with what started me off. Any canoeing will be on the big lake, either setting out and running trot lines, or paddling around at night, spotlighting bullfrogs. I know they are there, I hear them all the time, but without a canoe or boat, they are impossible to get to. Made a New Year's resolution to do a lot more fishing this year, too!

Comment

Matt, I may also do an e-bike conversion on my old Specialized Hard Rock 21-speed. That would make it easier to get to some stands quietly. Been looking at motors and batteries.
              I'm probably missing something, but even with a good quiet motor, how would it be quieter than pedaling?

Edit: Actually I just realized, no noise as you shift gears?
              Last edited by MattM37; 03-05-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Good question. The e-bike would obviously be quieter than my Xterra. The advantage over pedaling is in not having to pedal as hard or perhaps at all. The logging road access is good but hilly. A bike can get me all the way to the stand and be easily hidden nearby.
                Ah, I didn't realize the SUV was in the equation, thought you just meant as opposed to your regular bike, knowing from a previous post that you did use the bike for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  Going to try to spend enough time on the place in Oklahoma to get my pup trained up to tree squirrels. Not new hunting experience, just getting reacquainted with what started me off. Any canoeing will be on the big lake, either setting out and running trot lines, or paddling around at night, spotlighting bullfrogs. I know they are there, I hear them all the time, but without a canoe or boat, they are impossible to get to. Made a New Year's resolution to do a lot more fishing this year, too!
                  We used to catch bullfrogs on the farm pond, in the daytime, by using our longest fishing rods to get a trout fly dangling in front of them without having to sneak too close. My aunt had one of those campfire toaster things, the iron cylinder with the arms coming up to hold the pieces of bread; turned out it worked perfectly for frog legs, too.

Comment

I have gigged frogs, shot frogs, and caught them with a fishing pole. I like frog legs, and The BookKeeper could eat a bushel basket full. She eats frog legs on seafood platters and off buffets, but to me, a frog leg doesn't taste right if it is not a wild frog. They have to eat bugs and crawdads to really taste, otherwise, they are just tasteless meat. I like to fix them like my grandmother did, dredged in milk and egg batter, and floured twice. Then fried in a cast iron skillet until the batter turns golden brown. With mashed 'taters and sawmill gravy, and hot biscuits. All of that tastes better if done over a campfire, and the biscuits baked in a Dutch oven.

Comment

"It ain't easy being green."
                      -Kermit the frog.
                      Last edited by 99explorer; 03-05-2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Had a cousin, rest his soul, who claimed that frog legs made THE best gravy.
                        ...but then, he put himself in the grave early with a fork and spoon.
                        The only thing I EVER heard the man say he wouldn't eat was rhubarb, and I saw him eat that! LOL!

Comment

Yeah MattM37, they scheduled a surgery for me on Apr 5th. Spring turkey open Apr 6th.
                          Looks like I'll get to hunt a bunch of nothing for 6 months! I won't be able to put ANY weight on my right foot for 6 months.
                          "IF" I survive the surgery and the recuperation, I should be able to walk much further than I can now, which is about 1/4 mile.

P.S. - "nothing" soup is thin, watery and extremely bland, BUT..
                          they are VERY easy to clean! LOL!

That's alright! Hopefully this will help me give those turkeys hell spring of '22! 👀!
                          Last edited by FirstBubba; 03-05-2021, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Yeah MattM37, they scheduled a surgery for me on Apr 5th. Spring turkey open Apr 6th.
                            Looks like I'll get to hunt a bunch of nothing for 6 months! I won't be able to put ANY weight on my right foot for 6 months.
                            "IF" I survive the surgery and the recuperation, I should be able to walk much further than I can now, which is about 1/4 mile.

P.S. - "nothing" soup is thin, watery and extremely bland, BUT..
                            they are VERY easy to clean! LOL!

That's alright! Hopefully this will help me give those turkeys hell spring of '22! 👀!
                            That's a bummer, alright. However, since turkey hunting is better done sitting still, anyway, if you could get someone to cart you out there, you could still sit and call and maybe get a shot.

Comment

My Dad and I tried Montana for the first time this past season. It was a great time hunting somewhere new. We each had successful stalks.
                              As far as future hunts we are going to back to Nebraska this season. It’ll be my 10th trip there. I have been building some points for Wyoming. Deer and antelope. Never been antelope hunting yet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad