Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer belly hair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deer belly hair

    Looking for some big patches of white belly hair from a deer. If anyone got any they would like to get rid of.

  • #2
    Tie-flying (?) materials! LOL!
    I haven't saved a deer skin since who flung a chunk.
    There's lots of road kill in my area, but seldom do I find it fresh!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yep fly tying I usually get from my uncle but with the Covid he didn't get out much and didn't get one this year. Never thought of road kill but I don't know if I could do it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
        Yep fly tying I usually get from my uncle but with the Covid he didn't get out much and didn't get one this year. Never thought of road kill but I don't know if I could do it.
        Fresh road kill is okay, but once the buzzards begin to gather......! 👀

        Comment


        • #5
          I would send you some, but nothing available until first weekend in October. If that works for you, send me a PM with details and address.
          crm

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

            Fresh road kill is okay, but once the buzzards begin to gather......! 👀
            It’s more like when the cops gather and wonder what the +/;+-% your doing and I’m on the 6 o’clock news. Lol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
              I would send you some, but nothing available until first weekend in October. If that works for you, send me a PM with details and address.
              crm
              Thanks I’m hoping to have some sooner if not I’ll give you a PM.

              Comment


              • #8

                Solitario Lupo- That is the first time I will have any opportunity to get any. Just let me know, I will stock you up for the future.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                  Looking for some big patches of white belly hair from a deer. If anyone got any they would like to get rid of.
                  Google Midwest Fur Dressing. You can buy full hides or patches, just let them know what you want, they have every thing needed !
                  Also Yost Fur Dressing.
                  Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 02-27-2021, 04:17 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    Solitario Lupo- That is the first time I will have any opportunity to get any. Just let me know, I will stock you up for the future.
                    Thanks will do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

                      Google Midwest Fur Dressing. You can buy full hides or patches, just let them know what you want, they have every thing needed !
                      Also Yost Fur Dressing.
                      I’ll check them out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Why is the belly hair desirable ? How about the hair on the inside of the back legs ? Is the belly hair also hollow ? No taxidermists in your area ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've tied with other hair like it's back. It is longer and harder to tie with for the flies I make. But any part of the deers hair is good just different fly patterns take different materials.

                          I dye my own hair also so white is the easiest to color.

                          As for it being hollow the way I understand it, it is not hollow like a drinking straw but more like a cork. Floats great.

                          As for taxidermy in my area I'm sure there's a couple but rather make a deal with someone like tie up a dozen of flies then get charged an arm and leg for some small patches.
                          Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 02-27-2021, 03:14 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here's what I'm making with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227_152133.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	768211

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                              Here's what I'm making with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227_152133.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	768211
                              I like those lone wolf!

                              About 1.25" long in yellow or silvery grey with a small black streak down each side would be awesome crappie jigs.
                              I know those aren't categorically "jigs", but a small split shot right at the knot would work great.
                              When the crappie spawn in the shallows, they take minnows and lures rigged 4 to 6 inches below a bobber.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to Worked at the bench
                                by jhjimbo
                                Matt, I started hunting with a friend from the corner hang out, sitting in a booth talking hunting and guns for hours on end. Started going with him...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Worked at the bench
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rain and wind kept me in so I preped .300Wby and .340Wby brass. Between them I have 85 rounds. Now to decide what load to use? I have .338 in 200, 225,...
                                09-05-2021, 10:40 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
                                by fitch270
                                No way I can keep up with the lyrics to Black Betty. Good tune....
                                Today, 05:11 PM
                              • TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
                                by fitch270
                                Every week we have a number of go to artists and bands we link to, nothing wrong with that but what makes these threads really interesting are the forgotten...
                                Yesterday, 08:45 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
                                by MattM37
                                Word.

                                "You ain't it, Miss Thing."

                                One of the top ten best song-lyric lines ever written....
                                Today, 05:11 PM

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X