Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking

Didn't there used to be a fish-and-game cooking thread, or am I just thinking of the Wild Chef articles in the magazine? I forget sometimes that many of these "Answers" conversations used to take place in the comments after articles. Ah, the good old days.

Anyway, what's on the menu at your house this weekend? I just found a long-forgotten package of ground venison in the break-room fridge, courtesy of a co-worker last year. I've decided to liberate it when I head home tonight, and provide it with a good home, namely my cast-iron Dutch oven. Probably not chili, probably just add some baked beans and onion.

When there were recipes, they added things that only a professional chef would have on hand then give the dish some weird name. I never followed them because I would not shop for any exotic spice, I used what I have on hand. I guess I am more of a meat and potato cook.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      When there were recipes, they added things that only a professional chef would have on hand then give the dish some weird name. I never followed them because I would not shop for any exotic spice, I used what I have on hand. I guess I am more of a meat and potato cook.
      Me, too. Plus I've always disliked adding anything exotic or strong-flavored to fish and game -- I wouldn't have killed it if I didn't like how it already tasted! Salt, pepper, butter, olive oil ... maybe some onion and garlic here and there ... simple but good.

I do remember some good chili and stew recipes from the Wild Chef, though, and Krissy over on Outdoor Life really had some good tips and cooking ideas. She was another one who'd get right into the threads with us, like Natalie would sometimes.

Comment

Oh, by the way: When I said it was a co-worker's venison: I'm not stealing anyone's venison. He brings it in for whoever wants it. Figured I'd best clarify that.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Me, too. Plus I've always disliked adding anything exotic or strong-flavored to fish and game -- I wouldn't have killed it if I didn't like how it already tasted! Salt, pepper, butter, olive oil ... maybe some onion and garlic here and there ... simple but good.

I do remember some good chili and stew recipes from the Wild Chef, though, and Krissy over on Outdoor Life really had some good tips and cooking ideas. She was another one who'd get right into the threads with us, like Natalie would sometimes.
          One good, simple way to do chops is with a slow cooker with a low setting. Put a few chops in the bottom and cover with sauerkraut. Turn on low in the morning or night before, when you get home from work they will be done.

Comment

I’ve thought a food related forum of some sort would go over well here. I can’t recall there ever being one, but anytime a thread comes up about eating it generally gets a good number of responses. I’m not much of a cook or foodie but still start my share of food related topics.

Venison soup for dinner shortly. We’ve been eating deer meat in some form 3 out of 4 nights lately it seems. I’m starting to crave something with some grease in it. 😎

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              I’ve thought a food related forum of some sort would go over well here. I can’t recall there ever being one, but anytime a thread comes up about eating it generally gets a good number of responses. I’m not much of a cook or foodie but still start my share of food related topics.

Venison soup for dinner shortly. We’ve been eating deer meat in some form 3 out of 4 nights lately it seems. I’m starting to crave something with some grease in it. 😎
              Well, with all that flour you showed us a while back, you could make a bunch of good fatty dumplings to go with the soup. God, that sounds good, actually.

I've got some Lil Smokies in the fridge that I plan to cook over a fire if I go out this weekend. (Not really planning on camping as mentioned in that other post, I'm not that crazy, but I like building a fire at some point when I'm out hiking or hunting in the snow.

Comment

I'm a dumpling fan, my daughter likes homemade noodles. One or the other often ends up in the pot but tonight my wife and kids have commitments so dinner was done in a hurry.

Sunday looks better for an outing. I have a big pile of trees on the hill that need torching, I'd like to get it done with snow on the ground before the burn ban kicks in. Problem is there's good firewood that needs to be salvaged first. Gonna take some effort and I'm not real motivated to go out in the cold after working in it all the while.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	694.2 KB
ID:	766856 Making my deer meat tomorrow. All the squirrels and doves are consumed. Making it the same way I do 80% of the time so I'll post the pics I posted last year. Looks exactly the same. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1417.JPG Views:	0 Size:	488.8 KB ID:	766853 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1418.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	766854 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1421.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	766855

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

Name:	IMG_1521.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	694.2 KB
ID:	766856 Making my deer meat tomorrow. All the squirrels and doves are consumed. Making it the same way I do 80% of the time so I'll post the pics I posted last year. Looks exactly the same. Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1417.JPG Views:	0 Size:	488.8 KB ID:	766853 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1418.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	766854 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1421.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	766855
                    I'll vouch for this. Made it last week with a hunk of backstrap off a buck from the season before this past one. Found the package in the freezer when we were reorganizing after this year's grinding session. Cooked up just fine.

Comment

Spent about 2 hours at the grill.
                      Ended up with some smoking good drum sticks.
                      Prefer drum sticks to hot wings.
                      Hot wings are fried. Smoked drum sticks, most of the fat and goo is cooked out. So it's a bit healthier.

Comment

Filet and peppers with onions. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3248.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	766868

Comment

Name:	IMG_2294.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	766876 Lord, I love this stuff.

Comment

Name:	D5456461-F252-4D25-A20A-20EE0E4A005F.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	766887 Click image for larger version  Name:	7CB452B4-D415-4F5A-B057-49CF5FCC5DA6.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	5.26 MB ID:	766885 Click image for larger version  Name:	9CE2C787-53C3-4F4E-BAD1-0A3532244436.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	766884

The wife tried a new recipe tonight, no idea what it’s called but think of a cross between a sloppy joe and a Philly cheese steak and you’ll get the idea. We used Colby Jack.cheese and the Kid and I added a little Tabasco sauce to give ours some kick. This one might stay in rotation.

Oh yeah, on homemade buns. Gotta keep using that flour up!

Edit; Almost forgot dessert. Pumpkin grown in the garden and mixed berry picked and frozen last fall. Nothing going on and bitter cold out, perfect combo for my wife to turn the oven on.

Last edited by fitch270; 01-30-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              Spent about 2 hours at the grill.
                              Ended up with some smoking good drum sticks.
                              Prefer drum sticks to hot wings.
                              Hot wings are fried. Smoked drum sticks, most of the fat and goo is cooked out. So it's a bit healthier.
                              Bubba, you could steam or parboil your wings -- cooks out a lot of the grease -- and then roast them, in a pan with a drainage rack, getting rid of even more fat. You'd probably thought of that but I figured I'd throw it out there. It's an extra step or two but they come out pretty darn good. You can probably find a demonstration on Alton Brown's Good Eats YouTube channel or the Food Network website.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                                We were talking about...
                                Today, 02:32 AM
                              • Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                                Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                                Today, 02:27 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by 99explorer
                                I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                                Just an ob...
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by franchi20
                                As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                                Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X