Covid Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid Hunting

My hunting pursuits have changed immensely since Covid-19. I am now spending most of my time hunting for powder, primers and vaccine. No one is set up to make finding any of these easy. It seems to be more challenging than finding a Boone and Crocket elk.

Most online suppliers just leave their catalogs as they were a year ago so you have to scroll through dozens, if not hundreds, of catalog items to see that they are "out of stock".

You must make an appointment for a Covid shot but everyone uses the terrible web site components provided by the government. If there is only one shot available in your state, they make you search hundreds of inoculation locations one at a time to find it. Most people give up hours before they get lucky and find it. We now have thousands of providers that have no vaccine. Many providers actually have vaccine on the shelf but they can't administer it because you have to be registered first and of course their registration sites make it so difficult to actually register that few get that lucky.

I had a bit of luck last week for the second time in six months. I found 5 pounds of Varget. A month ago, I bagged a box of small rifle primers. I continue to hone my hunting skills and am optimistic that I will get lucky again one day.
    Last edited by DakotaMan; 01-17-2021, 11:01 AM.

Got powder, though I'd like to have more.
    Got primers, though I'd like to have more.
    Don't got ChiComFlu, DO NOT want their freakin' vaccines!
    My biggest shortage is in the bullet section, and though I have an okay supply, would like to have more.
    BUT.....at the moment, I'm spending my "gun" money stash on Briley choke tubes for my Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge.
    So looks like components are on the back burner, until the "stimulus" pittance shows up! LOL!

Comment

I have been hunting for buckshot on every site I know, and some more I just discovered. I have an adequate supply, for no more than two or three small riots, but would like to stock up just a bit more, against a really big riot coming sometime during the impending communist regime. Makes me sick to remember what I lost in Harvey, from having shells in el cheapo plastic boxes. Everything is now in Army surplus ammo cans, which came through the flood well and dry.
      As to being vaccinated for the communist chinese virus, I am fairly sure that I have already had a round of that, almost a year ago. I will pass on a rushed through vaccine that every other sensational headline blames for a bad reaction in someone vaccinated. I will donate my vaccination to someone who thinks they need it.

Comment

It appears I jumped in line just before the cut off point. Better late than never. I thought three months ago that I could have just spent the same money on factory ammo and have been set, now I'm glad I went the route I did and I haven't even seated a single bullet.

I had three main motivations other than the current political situation.

First was handloading just seemed like a natural thing that I've always wanted to try. Problem in the distant past was a lack of funds. When funds stopped being an issue kids took priority for time. Now we're at that stage where the kids are starting to do their own thing. I'm at the point where retirement doesn't seem so far away. Now that priorities are shifting shooting more is starting to move up the list. That's the second reason. The final reason goes back to the kids and setting them up for the future, whatever that brings. Even if things don't go sideways they'll have options available to them that I didn't, by choice or otherwise.

Comment

The COVID 19 virus hit our hunting camp. A week before our season the owner of the camp , his wife and 3 other members of our camp got the virus. The owners wife spent 9 days in intensive care. There were only 3 of us that didn't get the virus. They were at camp when they contacted the virus. The owner decided to skip deer camp this year. I only live 25 minutes from camp so I day hunted the first week of the season. I did pretty well I killed 2 eight point bucks and a doe. I was the only one that hunted the property this deer season. The owner has sprayed the camp probably 5 times since then but no one will stay at camp till spring gobbler season in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
            The COVID 19 virus hit our hunting camp. A week before our season the owner of the camp , his wife and 3 other members of our camp got the virus. The owners wife spent 9 days in intensive care. There were only 3 of us that didn't get the virus. They were at camp when they contacted the virus. The owner decided to skip deer camp this year. I only live 25 minutes from camp so I day hunted the first week of the season. I did pretty well I killed 2 eight point bucks and a doe. I was the only one that hunted the property this deer season. The owner has sprayed the camp probably 5 times since then but no one will stay at camp till spring gobbler season in April.
            Sarge, that is a rough break. Did the infected come down with symptoms after leaving camp? They say incubation is 7 to 10 days. Are they over it ?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
              I have been hunting for buckshot on every site I know, and some more I just discovered. I have an adequate supply, for no more than two or three small riots, but would like to stock up just a bit more, against a really big riot coming sometime during the impending communist regime. Makes me sick to remember what I lost in Harvey, from having shells in el cheapo plastic boxes. Everything is now in Army surplus ammo cans, which came through the flood well and dry.
              As to being vaccinated for the communist chinese virus, I am fairly sure that I have already had a round of that, almost a year ago. I will pass on a rushed through vaccine that every other sensational headline blames for a bad reaction in someone vaccinated. I will donate my vaccination to someone who thinks they need it.
              I found 00 buck last summer so I picked up a bunch. I have a lot of goose loads which work as good. I know what you mean about what may be coming.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                Good analogy and I wish you luck in the hunt.

I don't target shoot much so I'm good for several years on powder, primers and bullets. Also good on loaded ammo for those firearms I don't handload for. I'm always looking to shore up my stock but got the luxury of waiting as long as it takes. Worst case - I could be able to hunt for the next 30 years with what I have on hand.

As for COVID, I was heavily exposed the two weeks around Christmas. We think a nephew attending our small family gathering was contagious (he tested positive a few days later) and our granddaughter and two of her kids came down with it. The worst was our daughter catching it and she lives with us. I ran a sore throat a few days but waited to get tested 10 days after. Was negative for C-19. My guess is that my anti-bodies are now up to date and I'll wait until June or July to get the vaccine.

This is a chance for me to start using those old primers and powders I've had since the 90's. (Prepper items for Y2k). They were just taking up space anyways. Perhaps they'll be useful as barter goods when the dollar collapses.
                I saw a video of a guy checking .22's from 70 and 80 years ago and they fired fine. his screen name is 22Tony or Tony22

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  Several years ago, I wanted some 12 gauge #1 buckshot.
                  None to be had!
                  Stopped by a LGS, "I don't have any, but I can order you some."
                  I bought 5 of those 5 round boxes.
                  Sadly, now I need some for my 16 gauge!
                  I think I have "ONE" lonely round of 16 gauge #1 buckshot! LOL!

Comment

Good to hear that most of us are pretty well stocked. I do a lot of target shooting and long range varmint shooting so I use a lot of ammo. I'm good on hunting ammo for many years as a deer, antelope, coyote, turkey, etc. only takes one shot per year. I shoot about 750 rounds a day on a p-dog outing and like to shoot a couple hundred rounds in a visit to the range.

Happy hunting to all.

Comment

jhjimbo a guy and his son at the camp came from 100 miles away and didn't even know they had been exposed. 2 days after being at camp my buddy and his wife came down with the symptoms. My buddys wife spent 9 days in intentive care. 2 of the other guys came down with pneumonia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                        jhjimbo a guy and his son at the camp came from 100 miles away and didn't even know they had been exposed. 2 days after being at camp my buddy and his wife came down with the symptoms. My buddys wife spent 9 days in intentive care. 2 of the other guys came down with pneumonia.
                        So, nobody really contracted it AT camp.
                        Pneumonia is what the virus causes - actually the worst of all worlds. Basic bacterial pneumonia and then viral phenomena on top of that. The two types combine to prevent your lungs from collecting oxygen and sending it to your arteries. Some research is showing there is lasting damage to the lungs if patient recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Several years ago, I wanted some 12 gauge #1 buckshot.
                          None to be had!
                          Stopped by a LGS, "I don't have any, but I can order you some."
                          I bought 5 of those 5 round boxes.
                          Sadly, now I need some for my 16 gauge!
                          I think I have "ONE" lonely round of 16 gauge #1 buckshot! LOL!
                          They say you should save one round for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post

They say you should save one round for yourself.
                            Really poor taste 99 , many forums would have hit you with a ban..

Comment

Current reports say the U K mutant is more contagious and now are believed to be 30% to 40% more deadly than the original Covid-19. Perhaps the mutation makes it more deadly.
                              In the original Covid some people have long lasting lung and cardiac complications. not known yet about the U K mutate.
                              I have heard some hints that IF we do not get herd immunity, 75%+ inoculations by the end of 2021 we may be doing this all over in 2022.
                              Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-23-2021, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another Weirdo in the Woods
                                by 99explorer
                                You may be the victim of an infrasonic attack (ELF attack)!

See comment #41.
                                Today, 11:23 PM
                              • Another Weirdo in the Woods
                                by MattM37
                                While hiking Saturday evening, I met a fella who was out distributing the devices he makes to counteract all the harmful and mind-controlling electromagnetic...
                                06-14-2021, 01:42 PM
                              • Reply to Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                I’ve done that before myself. But I used a Ford ranger. Back in my younger days....
                                Today, 10:43 PM
                              • Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                Gave up on the camp knife. And did a little more research. I figure I got three grandsons. So I might as well buy a good quality hatchet, camp axe and...
                                05-25-2021, 10:36 PM
                              • Reply to Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                I also bought a 29.00 splitting mail from Walmart. We see how it works this weekend also. My wife is none to happy with spending 500 bucks on two axes....
                                Today, 10:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X