Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parasites and disease

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Parasites and disease

    So, I mentioned in another thread that I'd been watching "MeatEater" lately. In the episodes about Coues deer in the Southwest, Steven Rinella shows the horrid bot-fly larvae often found in the Coues' nose and throat. Imagine living with one of those things squirming around in there!

    What grotesqueries, if any, have you found in your game and fish over the years? A weird question, maybe, but all part of the hunting-fishing world like anything else, I suppose.


  • #2
    I've killed a couple of deer that had these hard, black masses on their sides and back. I have no idea what they were. They were about the size of a half-moon cookie and had the texture and hardness of asphalt. Also had a deer once that had these clear, hard, marble-sized globes massed inside its ribcage and along the spine. Described both to fish-and-wildlife staff and was told the meat was still fine to eat; I don't remember what they said the things were.

    Never caught any kind of deformed or diseased fish, surprisingly. Seen plenty of wounds on fish from herons and kingfishers (maybe even eagles, these last few years), but nothing suggesting disease.

    Comment


    • #3
      In my taxidermy work I saw some not so good things to look at, but one of the weirdest things I encountered was a fine buck with with a 7 inch piece of antler imbedded 3 inches up his nasal passage which was terribly infected. But, I myself have never taken an animal or fish that was not normal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nope.
        Trapped an awfully ugly sow once who was missing an ear! One evil looking witch!
        Cleaning bass one time, I noted some small yellow dots. Some type larvae.
        Other than some #4's and #5's found on a couple of turkeys backside, nothing out of the ordinary.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          I've killed a couple of deer that had these hard, black masses on their sides and back. I have no idea what they were. They were about the size of a half-moon cookie and had the texture and hardness of asphalt. Also had a deer once that had these clear, hard, marble-sized globes massed inside its ribcage and along the spine. Described both to fish-and-wildlife staff and was told the meat was still fine to eat; I don't remember what they said the things were.

          Never caught any kind of deformed or diseased fish, surprisingly. Seen plenty of wounds on fish from herons and kingfishers (maybe even eagles, these last few years), but nothing suggesting disease.
          Those marks could be where lampreys have latched on. I have caught fish with one still hanging on. Chances are, if a Eagle latches on they don't let go. Once in a while a Eagle latches on to one too heavy to fly with and they let go but I think that is rare.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

            Those marks could be where lampreys have latched on. I have caught fish with one still hanging on. Chances are, if a Eagle latches on they don't let go. Once in a while a Eagle latches on to one too heavy to fly with and they let go but I think that is rare.
            The marks on the fish have always been gashes on the back or side, not the round kind of mark a lamprey would leave -- I should've described that in my post. Your point prompted me to look up lampreys on the DEC website, though, and I learned that they're more common in streams than I'd thought, not just the lakes. DEC says there is at least one species of lamprey in every NYS watershed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              In my taxidermy work I saw some not so good things to look at, but one of the weirdest things I encountered was a fine buck with with a 7 inch piece of antler imbedded 3 inches up his nasal passage which was terribly infected. But, I myself have never taken an animal or fish that was not normal.
              Butchering a deer one time, my brother and I found an inch-long apple thorn way down deep in a buck's shoulder meat. No sign of wound or infection in that spot when we'd skinned it; apparently he'd just kind of absorbed it after getting stuck by it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

                The marks on the fish have always been gashes on the back or side, not the round kind of mark a lamprey would leave -- I should've described that in my post. Your point prompted me to look up lampreys on the DEC website, though, and I learned that they're more common in streams than I'd thought, not just the lakes. DEC says there is at least one species of lamprey in every NYS watershed.
                When lampreys got too high a population in years past the ODNR and NY DEC poisoned the streams where the incubate. It used to be every walleye in Oneida or Erie had a mark on it. It worked and the population is now under control.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It was reported that two Zoo Gorillas have Coved-19.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    It was reported that two Zoo Gorillas have Coved-19.
                    Fur-Fish-Game magazine has been reporting outbreaks at mink farms.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What grotesqueries, if any, have you found in your game and fish over the years? A weird question, maybe, but all part of the hunting-fishing world like anything else, I suppose.
                      Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                      Right Rail 1

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      • Reply to Trump Speech
                        by 99explorer
                        No. That was an applause line.
                        Plus another chance to repeat that he had won two elections , and might go for a third.
                        Today, 10:00 AM
                      • Trump Speech
                        by jhjimbo
                        Did you catch where Trump said he may even run for 'three' terms ? Is that a coded message ?...
                        Today, 07:51 AM
                      • Reply to 1971 movie The Pacific
                        by Danbo
                        What's that got do when it was made? It was made in 2010 not 1971...
                        Today, 08:39 AM
                      • 1971 movie The Pacific
                        by jhjimbo
                        Has anybody watched the entire movie ? I watched segment 8 through 10 the other day. John Basilone (sp) was really something. I did not care for all...
                        Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                      • Reply to 1971 movie The Pacific
                        by jhjimbo
                        You did not read my post. I said I watched segment 8,9 and10. The only thing I know of that is available in segments is the mini series....
                        Today, 08:32 AM

                      Right Rail 3

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X