Parasites and disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasites and disease

So, I mentioned in another thread that I'd been watching "MeatEater" lately. In the episodes about Coues deer in the Southwest, Steven Rinella shows the horrid bot-fly larvae often found in the Coues' nose and throat. Imagine living with one of those things squirming around in there!

What grotesqueries, if any, have you found in your game and fish over the years? A weird question, maybe, but all part of the hunting-fishing world like anything else, I suppose.

I've killed a couple of deer that had these hard, black masses on their sides and back. I have no idea what they were. They were about the size of a half-moon cookie and had the texture and hardness of asphalt. Also had a deer once that had these clear, hard, marble-sized globes massed inside its ribcage and along the spine. Described both to fish-and-wildlife staff and was told the meat was still fine to eat; I don't remember what they said the things were.

Never caught any kind of deformed or diseased fish, surprisingly. Seen plenty of wounds on fish from herons and kingfishers (maybe even eagles, these last few years), but nothing suggesting disease.

Comment

In my taxidermy work I saw some not so good things to look at, but one of the weirdest things I encountered was a fine buck with with a 7 inch piece of antler imbedded 3 inches up his nasal passage which was terribly infected. But, I myself have never taken an animal or fish that was not normal.

Comment

Nope.
        Trapped an awfully ugly sow once who was missing an ear! One evil looking witch!
        Cleaning bass one time, I noted some small yellow dots. Some type larvae.
        Other than some #4's and #5's found on a couple of turkeys backside, nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          I've killed a couple of deer that had these hard, black masses on their sides and back. I have no idea what they were. They were about the size of a half-moon cookie and had the texture and hardness of asphalt. Also had a deer once that had these clear, hard, marble-sized globes massed inside its ribcage and along the spine. Described both to fish-and-wildlife staff and was told the meat was still fine to eat; I don't remember what they said the things were.

Never caught any kind of deformed or diseased fish, surprisingly. Seen plenty of wounds on fish from herons and kingfishers (maybe even eagles, these last few years), but nothing suggesting disease.
          Those marks could be where lampreys have latched on. I have caught fish with one still hanging on. Chances are, if a Eagle latches on they don't let go. Once in a while a Eagle latches on to one too heavy to fly with and they let go but I think that is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Those marks could be where lampreys have latched on. I have caught fish with one still hanging on. Chances are, if a Eagle latches on they don't let go. Once in a while a Eagle latches on to one too heavy to fly with and they let go but I think that is rare.
            The marks on the fish have always been gashes on the back or side, not the round kind of mark a lamprey would leave -- I should've described that in my post. Your point prompted me to look up lampreys on the DEC website, though, and I learned that they're more common in streams than I'd thought, not just the lakes. DEC says there is at least one species of lamprey in every NYS watershed.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              In my taxidermy work I saw some not so good things to look at, but one of the weirdest things I encountered was a fine buck with with a 7 inch piece of antler imbedded 3 inches up his nasal passage which was terribly infected. But, I myself have never taken an animal or fish that was not normal.
              Butchering a deer one time, my brother and I found an inch-long apple thorn way down deep in a buck's shoulder meat. No sign of wound or infection in that spot when we'd skinned it; apparently he'd just kind of absorbed it after getting stuck by it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

The marks on the fish have always been gashes on the back or side, not the round kind of mark a lamprey would leave -- I should've described that in my post. Your point prompted me to look up lampreys on the DEC website, though, and I learned that they're more common in streams than I'd thought, not just the lakes. DEC says there is at least one species of lamprey in every NYS watershed.
                When lampreys got too high a population in years past the ODNR and NY DEC poisoned the streams where the incubate. It used to be every walleye in Oneida or Erie had a mark on it. It worked and the population is now under control.

Comment

It was reported that two Zoo Gorillas have Coved-19.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    It was reported that two Zoo Gorillas have Coved-19.
                    Fur-Fish-Game magazine has been reporting outbreaks at mink farms.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Apologies
                      by FirstBubba
                      You guys are so wrong!
                      Don't you understand?
                      If the head is on the wrong end of the nail, it goes on the other side of the house!
                      Today, 10:48 AM
                    • Apologies
                      by Pmacc60
                      I must apologize to Honk, Rock Rat and 99 ! Today I watched and really listened to the inauguration and commentary on ABC. I realize I am a White Suprematist...
                      Yesterday, 08:22 PM
                    • Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
                      by Milldawg
                      Well it’s not fancy it’s beretta 950b .22 short. It’s the same type of pistol I learned to shoot a pistol with as wee lad. This one was passed to...
                      Today, 08:31 AM
                    • Reply to Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
                      by jhjimbo
                      Nice family heirloom to keep in the family.
                      For leather I wash all my leather holsters in K-1. Soak them in clean K-1 and then let them drain and...
                      Today, 10:16 AM
                    • Reply to Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
                      by FirstBubba
                      Is that the one with the barrel that pops up in the back to load the first round?
                      Knew a guy who had one. Always wanted to make an offer on it,...
                      Today, 09:42 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X