Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increased hunting license sales?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Increased hunting license sales?

    I read all these reports from NY conservation dept. that license sales went through the roof during the pandemic, but it sure didn't seem like there were more hunters out there this fall. Anyone notice a change where you hunt?

  • #2
    Definitely not an increase in numbers as far as shots heard. Opening day was 20-25, day two maybe 10. Thanksgiving day just 5. I didn't see a single deer on a vehicle all season and just 2 does hanging in a tree, and those were both at my brother in laws last week. I get around in my job too.

    That said my taxidermy guy got hammered. He's close to retiring anyway and has stopped taking on new clients but there were a bunch of nice deer killed this year. We've had antler restrictions for 8 years or so but until last night haven't had a major snow storm in over 1000 days according to the weatherman. A couple easy winters in a row means better survival and healthier deer. Flip side is a bunch of young ones get a walk so maybe that's why less gunshots. Deer take stats will be interesting.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmmmm....?
      Increased license sales?
      Wonder if the non shooting public that bought all the guns thought that maybe a hunting license was a good idea too, not realizing a hunting license is an annual purchase and not a lifetime thing?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        Hmmmm....?
        Increased license sales?
        Wonder if the non shooting public that bought all the guns thought that maybe a hunting license was a good idea too, not realizing a hunting license is an annual purchase and not a lifetime thing?
        COVID shutdown. NY went to an all online Hunter Ed course, folks who had never taken time for one got certified then bought licenses. Meat shortage and prepping situation early on contributed as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          I read all these reports from NY conservation dept. that license sales went through the roof during the pandemic, but it sure didn't seem like there were more hunters out there this fall. Anyone notice a change where you hunt?
          There were less hunters than last year. I believe the safety course boom was guys getting an extra tag through there wife.

          As you know all I hunt is public land. Bow season I saw some deer and missed a giant. Gun season I hunted Cuyler hill opening day and heard 7 shots . No deer seen. Me and a group buddies camp down there for the week. We hunted Cuyler, Morgan, Taylor Valley, linklean and Dog hollow St forests. Sitting in the morning and drives in the afternoon.

          The whole week 7 of us saw three doe one killed in linklean st forest.
          Acorns were everywhere this year.
          Other hunters we talked to didn't see much.
          A large butcher I know was way down from last year.



          Last year 7 deer were killed , mine was a 9 pointer.

          Thanksgiving I hunted Morgan and didn't hear a shot!!

          Worst season since the ice storm a while back .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Danbo View Post
            There were less hunters than last year. I believe the safety course boom was guys getting an extra tag through there wife.

            As you know all I hunt is public land. Bow season I saw some deer and missed a giant. Gun season I hunted Cuyler hill opening day and heard 7 shots . No deer seen. Me and a group buddies camp down there for the week. We hunted Cuyler, Morgan, Taylor Valley, linklean and Dog hollow St forests. Sitting in the morning and drives in the afternoon.

            The whole week 7 of us saw three doe one killed in linklean st forest.
            Acorns were everywhere this year.
            Other hunters we talked to didn't see much.
            A large butcher I know was way down from last year.



            Last year 7 deer were killed , mine was a 9 pointer.

            Thanksgiving I hunted Morgan and didn't hear a shot!!

            Worst season since the ice storm a while back .
            The butcher deal is telling, for the most part warm weather means they get more in from guys who’d normally do their own but can’t get to them in time. Wasn’t exactly frigid this year.

            You think deer numbers are down that much or just that they weren’t moving and no one pushing them?

            My in-laws made out fairly well on public land they hunt somewhat up your way. FiL is hush hush about stuff so I won’t say where. He didn’t mention anything about running into others so I don’t know how that went. They've hunted this place for years and have it pretty well figured out. That unit has had DMP tags handed out like candy for awhile and they don’t see as many deer as when they first started hunting there. Of course that might be because the population is where it should be now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Is it possible instead of more NEW hunters, you had about the same number but that they were buying NEW or MULTIPLE types of tags. Examples: more doe tags, gun hunters buying bow tags because they have the time now to go? Small game they haven't hunted in years? I bought duck stamps for 1st time in years and I'm certainly not a new recruit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

                The butcher deal is telling, for the most part warm weather means they get more in from guys who’d normally do their own but can’t get to them in time. Wasn’t exactly frigid this year.

                You think deer numbers are down that much or just that they weren’t moving and no one pushing them?

                My in-laws made out fairly well on public land they hunt somewhat up your way. FiL is hush hush about stuff so I won’t say where. He didn’t mention anything about running into others so I don’t know how that went. They've hunted this place for years and have it pretty well figured out. That unit has had DMP tags handed out like candy for awhile and they don’t see as many deer as when they first started hunting there. Of course that might be because the population is where it should be now.
                Usually we make out real well but this year is weird. I can't recall a time when I've seen so many acorns on the ground.
                Yes they give doe permits out like candy in 7M but not a lot of hunters are hunting my go to spots except Morgan hill.

                A coworker is a member of a club that has 500 acres down that way and only shot a doe in three weeks of gun.
                I believe the deer are still there.Hell
                i saw tons of rubs but only 1 scrape.

                1 - They don't need to look for food acorns are everywhere.


                2- No hunters out . The state lands we hunt total over 20 thousand acres and we saw a total of 5 hunters.

                3 -Snow would have helped us


                I have one more week of late bow and I'm not being picky.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

                  COVID shutdown. NY went to an all online Hunter Ed course, folks who had never taken time for one got certified then bought licenses. Meat shortage and prepping situation early on contributed as well.
                  Yes sir. Subsistence and panic can be a real motivator.
                  I wouldn't be surprised to find that some thought they had to have a hunting license to buy a gun....or vise versa...(?)

                  Just one of those rambling thoughts.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    Is it possible instead of more NEW hunters, you had about the same number but that they were buying NEW or MULTIPLE types of tags. Examples: more doe tags, gun hunters buying bow tags because they have the time now to go? Small game they haven't hunted in years? I bought duck stamps for 1st time in years and I'm certainly not a new recruit.
                    No there were less on the public areas I hunt.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      Is it possible instead of more NEW hunters, you had about the same number but that they were buying NEW or MULTIPLE types of tags. Examples: more doe tags, gun hunters buying bow tags because they have the time now to go? Small game they haven't hunted in years? I bought duck stamps for 1st time in years and I'm certainly not a new recruit.
                      I'll try to explain NY's tag system as briefly as I can and still make sense. I won't go into the downstate info because I'm clueless about hunting there.

                      NY is divided into the Northern Zone of the Adirondack area and the Southern Zone of the rest of the state. Those zones are divided into Wildlife Management Units, or WMU's. Seasons dates are different in the two zones but general tags are valid for both. General tags are for Bowhunting, Muzzleloader, and General Firearms.

                      General Firearms tags are buck only. Bowhunting and Muzzleloader tags are actually interchangeable but to buy both you need a Bowhunter Ed certification or previous Bow tag. One can be used for either sex but the second can only be used for antlerless deer. Antlerless being neither side antler can be over 3" in lenght. I know guys who took the bow course years ago so they could hunt the early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone and if successful buy a second tag for late muzzleloader in the Southern. I also know guys who buy a muzzleloader tag just for bowhunting a doe.

                      What most of us refer to as doe tags are actually Deer Management Permits, or DMP's. Those tags are specific to the WMU's and are easier to come by in some areas than others based on population goals. In my unit it's not unusual to be turned down with a preference point while other units drawing 2 tags is common with no points. As a landowner having 50 or more continuous acres you automatically get 1 DMP per household. So depending on where you're hunting you may or may not be able to pull a tag. It costs $10 non refundable to apply weather you draw or not.


                      That's probably more information than necessary but I threw it out there just to give you an idea about how the tag system works. There's more to it that that but you get the drift. It's not hard to get tags but it's not exactly over the counter either. I'm sure it's confusing for newbies who don't have someone to mentor them.


                      Forgot to mention; With the computer system the state uses they can easily track how many first time licences are sold. I'm sure they'll post the numbers if they haven't already. The online course numbers were pretty big.

                      A couple years back the Hunters Ed program coordinators for our area did a presentation on the course stats. One of the impressive things they showed us was how far students would travel to attend classes. They tracked not only where the classes were but could show where every single student was from for every class. Our location pulled people from as far away as 3 hours with the average being about an hour.

                      This is another reason why the online class went over so well.
                      Last edited by fitch270; 12-17-2020, 07:59 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                        There were less hunters than last year. I believe the safety course boom was guys getting an extra tag through there wife.

                        As you know all I hunt is public land. Bow season I saw some deer and missed a giant. Gun season I hunted Cuyler hill opening day and heard 7 shots . No deer seen. Me and a group buddies camp down there for the week. We hunted Cuyler, Morgan, Taylor Valley, linklean and Dog hollow St forests. Sitting in the morning and drives in the afternoon.

                        The whole week 7 of us saw three doe one killed in linklean st forest.
                        Acorns were everywhere this year.
                        Other hunters we talked to didn't see much.
                        A large butcher I know was way down from last year.



                        Last year 7 deer were killed , mine was a 9 pointer.

                        Thanksgiving I hunted Morgan and didn't hear a shot!!

                        Worst season since the ice storm a while back .
                        Danbo, I saw my first-ever bear this August, about three miles down 41 from the Solon side of Taylor Valley state land. Big one, too, coming up out of a cornfield along the road; he/she was standing right on the white line as I came down the road. When I started to slow down it was back in that cornfield like a black blur. The field sits down off the road and I could see the furrow it was plowing as it ran through, just like the dinosaurs in the tall grass in "Jurassic Park."

                        Big day for me -- I've been dying to see a bear since they first came back around here (other than the springtime wanderers, that is). Found some piles of poo a couple times but that was the first actual sighting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                          I read all these reports from NY conservation dept. that license sales went through the roof during the pandemic, but it sure didn't seem like there were more hunters out there this fall. Anyone notice a change where you hunt?
                          12/29 Ohio ML and Archery is still open but so far about 190,000 have been taken - I believe a record.

                          I got my NY Lifetime when they first came out - my license number is a 2 digit number. They mail my tags to me every year plus I can apply for other tags if I want. I have relatives with property in the North Zone so I just hunt there. A good friend is a guide there so I hunt with him when he is not guiding. He likes to hunt bears.
                          Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-29-2020, 11:51 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I heard less shots than I normally do but license sales were up here in West Virginia too.

                            Comment

                            Welcome!

                            Collapse

                            Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                            And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                            Right Rail 1

                            Collapse

                            Top Active Users

                            Collapse

                            There are no top active users.

                            Right Rail 2

                            Collapse

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by jhjimbo
                              Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                              We were talking about...
                              Today, 02:32 AM
                            • Hey Folks
                              by jhjimbo
                              Good Monday Morning


                              Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                              ...
                              Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by jhjimbo
                              People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                              Today, 02:27 AM
                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by 99explorer
                              I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                              Just an ob...
                              Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by franchi20
                              As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                              Yesterday, 10:55 PM

                            Right Rail 3

                            Collapse

                            Footer Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X