Rifle cleaning kit for primitive wilderness living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clemente View Post
    Ernie, I checked out the Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru websites, they all look great. When you say "By the time the long pack in and out is done my buddy is glad that he is not using their packs", whose ("their packs") packs are you referring too?

Also, what would you say is the primary advantage of the hunting packs you mention vs. backpacks like the "Alice" and more recent Molle type backpacks used specifically by the military?
    He is glad he did not have these packs: Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch.
    He is really glad he has the Kifaru.

Lighter and better than anything the military uses

Comment

Originally posted by clemente View Post
      Ernie, I checked out the Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru websites, they all look great. When you say "By the time the long pack in and out is done my buddy is glad that he is not using their packs", whose ("their packs") packs are you referring too?

Also, what would you say is the primary advantage of the hunting packs you mention vs. backpacks like the "Alice" and more recent Molle type backpacks used specifically by the military?
      I gave away my old ALICE packs in November, taking them to a local thrift store. Those are heavy and most are in bad shape with a smell. The shoulder straps came apart on mine during an overnight hike. I had to use paracord to tie them back together - it was a very uncomfortable carry. Got no experience with the Molle.

Comment

I got a lot of use out of my old ALICEs -- I had the medium and the extra-large one. What I didn't like about them was the absence of sternum straps. Once I had a good pack with one of those, I hardly used the ALICES again. I want to do some winter camping this year, though, and am thinking about rigging some sort of cob-job sternum strap on the big ALICE -- there's room in that for every piece of gear I own, practically. I am not much a seamstress, so it will likely be a true cob-job, but it'll take some of the strain off the shoulders (and armpits).

Comment

I would suggest the multi-piece brass rods with a brush for each caliber... keep it simple. A few hundred cleaning patches should last a lifetime if you are judicious in use. Most importantly, take a large bottle of cleaning solvent (Hoppes #9 would be fine) and oil. It's OK to bring bore snakes for each because they are light and compact. However, they soon become useless unless you have a way to clean them. Cleaning the bore is not as important as oiling the surface so it doesn't rust. With better survival rifles, (durable, stainless, light rifles, small, light ammo, compact folding stocks, simple operation). Use rifles that need cleaning once a year rather than rifles that need cleaning twice a day.

I rarely clean my hunting rifles (some of which were used daily, year round) until the offseason and many have fired hundreds of rounds if not thousands before cleaning. They may not be quite as accurate when shot that way but they can hit anything from a squirrel to a deer just fine. Use quality scopes with quality mounts and they should stay zeroed for 10 years or more, even while you fall down and cross rivers. Have backup Iron sights though because I have lost scopes in rigorous use.

Most firearms need less cleaning than you think, especially if it is a bolt action stainless steel. I would find the .22 to be one of the best at survival if you have enough ammo. It's light enough to carry every minute and it can kill a bull moose with a careful shot. I'd ditch the autoloader (too much maintenance) and pack a small bolt action .22 with a collapsing stock. Use the weight for carrying ammo because once you fire your last round, you are done. I'd ditch the .308 too and carry a lighter centerfire rifle with much lighter ammo. You could actually carry about 1000 rounds of .223 and a couple thousand rounds of .22LR in a ammo cans. The Eskimos have survived on the tundra for years with a .223. You just need a brain shot, but you will likely be eating more squirrels than moose; maybe 10,000:1.

Comment

Ernie, thanks for that update on Kifaru pack being better than the others mentioned, I will take a look at that brand

Comment

DakotaMan, agreed that a rifle that needs minimal cleaning for this use is a priority. You mentioned "pack a small bolt action .22 with a collapsing stock", who makes the best of these in a moderate price range (i.e. $500-$800) and does "collapsing stock" for the bolt action .22 you mention mean it is a "takedown" model, are these two terms the same thing? As mentioned I have the Ruger 10/22 in what they call a "takedown" model--and any rifle I carry regularly in my pack I think due to size constraints of a backpack would have to be a takedown/collapsible type model though correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad