Rifle cleaning kit for primitive wilderness living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle cleaning kit for primitive wilderness living

I have the Remington 700 5R .308 bolt action and Ruger 10/22 Takedown rifles. My goal is to put together a cleaning kit specific to each rifle that is near indestructible (tough materials and chemicals which are not affected by extremes of weather, dirt, little or no maintenance/cleaning, etc) and compact to fit into a full size backpack. Most likely cleaning will have to be done in the field.

Some other goals are these kits would not require proprietary materials/fittings that are hard to get if times get tough in society, so ideally the kits I am looking for will be compatible with other competitors products to ensure availability is maximized no matter where you live.

I plan on buying branded products if possible, don't mind paying more as my experience is you get what you pay for when it comes to quality, durability, etc.

Primary use of two rifles mentioned are to put meat on the table if food supply in USA runs seriously short, so it is critical that all components of rifle cleaning system be able to last at least 10 years without maintenance or wearing out, and vital that all components are tough enough that they won't break off inside the rifle, or shred pieces off that get stuck in the rifle's insides where it might not be possible to extract this stuff in a primitive wilderness grid down situation. That could mean the end of your ability to eat, especially as a gunsmith will be hard to find in such a scenario.

Since a full length one piece cleaning rod I am guessing won't fit completely inside a full size backpack, I think I am limited to either a snake or a multi section screw-together cleaning rod, both of which I've read generally have more issues in terms of durability, maximum cleaning ability, etc. If there are other better solutions I'd like to know. I'm particularly concerned about snakes, they seem like the best solution in terms of compactness for a backpack and ease of use with minimum components, but I've read several articles about snakes that broke inside the rifle barrel and were very difficult or impossible to remove without the help of a gunsmith--in other words, in a grid down situation your rifle might be rendered permanently useless, a dire situation if you are getting your food from it.

Are you allowed to have solvents on hand, in this scenario?
    I would move to a bolt action 22lr for longevity and less problems with functioning in less than desirable conditions.
    Last edited by Ernie; 12-08-2020, 11:41 PM.

Comment

How tall is your back-pack?

Comment

Have you ever packed in on a frame pack for a 5-7 day hunt in the mountains?
        I suggest you do this, and you are going to learn what is essential and what is not.
        If this went on for 10 years, you will have to have a place to stash gear, food, etc.
        If not, you will have a large frame pack, with more weight than you really want.
        Ammo alone will weigh quite a bit if you are carrying everything all of the time.
        Plus, if this happened, you would need allies, as no one can survive that long alone, if desperation comes into play
        Clean water source for an extended period of time will be a big issue.
        You may not have time to boil water every time, and filters have to be replaced.
        Chop both barrels to 16.5" long,
        For hunting, you could easily go all 10 years without ever needing to clean that 308 Winchester.
        Electrical tape to put over your muzzle when hunting.
        What optic do you plan to use?

Comment

Uhhmmm... I'm not sure there is any cleaning appliance with that degree of longevity.
          Those little (Outers? If they still make them!) screw together brass rods with the proper brushes would be my choice.
          They're light enough you could carry 3 or 4 easily. As one becomes damaged or worn out, replace it with a piece from another set.
          As for a cleaning chemical, hot soapy water is hard to beat. Just enough to scrub the bore.
          I would also consider the black powder standby, "Bore Butter" as not only a lube, but as a protectant to.

I agree with Ernie. In a "survivalist" situation, I would suggest a bolt or single shot rifle. The simpler the action, the longer it will last.

Comment

I would suggest learning how to make bows and arrows from primitive materials. Because that where we are headed if it all goes to pot. If I wanted something that would put meat on the table and not need lots of maintenance I would be looking at an ak-47. Ask the afgans how long they hold up in a tough environment. It’s ugly it not going to win any long range competitions but it will work for a very long time with little to no maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by clemente View Post
              I have the Remington 700 5R .308 bolt action and Ruger 10/22 Takedown rifles. My goal is to put together a cleaning kit specific to each rifle that is near indestructible (tough materials and chemicals which are not affected by extremes of weather, dirt, little or no maintenance/cleaning, etc) and compact to fit into a full size backpack.
              Your posts have caused a lot of questions to pop into my head

Have you shot your rifle yet?
              If so, how many rounds down the barrel so far?
              At what distance?
              Group sizes?
              Ammo (bullet brand and weight) used?
              What kind of field rest did you use to shoot your Remmy 308 Win?
              Who zeroed your scope and at what distance?
              Have you hunted with it yet?
              Have you hunted any big game before?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                Your posts have caused a lot of questions to pop into my head

Have you shot your rifle yet?
                If so, how many rounds down the barrel so far?
                At what distance?
                Group sizes?
                Ammo (bullet brand and weight) used?
                What kind of field rest did you use to shoot your Remmy 308 Win?
                Who zeroed your scope and at what distance?
                Have you hunted with it yet?
                Have you hunted any big game before?
                I was wondering the same things.

Comment

I had an occasion in the NY Adirondacks where I needed cleaning. Coming down a relatively steep section toward a logging road I was grabbing small trees and when I almost got to the road the last tree let loose. Down I went and could not keep the muzzle of my .300 Weatherby out of the dirt. Luckily I had the military surplus .30cal cleaning brush with me. It is a brush with the pull cord wrapped around it. The cord has a weight on the end. I cleared as much dirt as I could and then pulled the brush through about 3 times - job done.
                  If I were to buy I would look at the Otis flexible that wraps in a circle-looks very compact.
                  I agree with Erine, you could go 10 years without cleaning if careful with the shooting. Keep muzzle covered.
                  BTW, I don.t think you can survive without getting some vegetables, so study up on what you can eat in the wild and take vitamins. P.S. It is a long winter. Jim

P.S. You will either need see through scope rings and have iron sights on the rifle or have a way to get the scope off and have iron sights.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-09-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Like Jimbo mentioned...Stuff Happens!
                    I have each of these. Important tool when dealing with extremes and moisture.
                    Oil and oil like substances are not always your friend, especially in your bolt body or trigger.
                    A small tin of anti-seize would last over ten years, but important for the back of the recoil lugs (only the back!).
                    After a good clean, it only takes a little on the back of the lugs, then when you close the bolt the first (Empty Chamber), make sure you push the bolt straightforward. You will feel a little give after you touch. With that same pressure that caused it to go a bit further, now move your bolt down. This helps the anti-seize spread uniformly, instead of being scrapped off by simply closing the bolt.
                    https://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-par...prod35019.aspx
                    http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remin...oval-tool.html

For long term care check these two products: https://www.hollandguns.com/
                    https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/par...intenance.html
                    Chamber lug and raceway tool
                    And even though, this will not be a problem for you-Witches Brew is great for dealing with carbon!
                    FYI-I killed a Springbok at 1/4 of mile, shooting off of that termite mound😎

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                      It's a total unrealistic fantasy to think you can survive long term on you're own. Especially with only what you can carry on your back. It's like thinking about what you would do if you could travel in time. Just stick to reading about such in fantasy / sci-fi books.
                      Did you read about the ancient hunter they found frozen in the snow on top of the mountain in the alps ? He had his fire coal wrapped in a special leaf so he could carry it. Bow and arrows and hatchet. They think he was attacked by another hunter. A further search found in his pocket he had a BigMac and Fries.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Did you read about the ancient hunter they found frozen in the snow on top of the mountain in the alps ? He had his fire coal wrapped in a special leaf so he could carry it. Bow and arrows and hatchet. They think he was attacked by another hunter. A further search found in his pocket he had a BigMac and Fries.
                        Ba, ba, ba...ba, ba..Loving It!

Comment

I don't have a problem with prepping, as long as folks understand reality (Which many do not).
                          Some do it for fun or a hobby...I have no problem with that, and fully support their hobby.
                          If you live in a city, you probably won't make it out alive if things south quickly.

When a city becomes desperate, everything changes, because people will change in ways that most people cannot conceive.
                          You must be prepared and skilled to do some things that are morally wrong and maybe illegal for you to survive.
                          If you are married and or have a family, the complication level just skyrocketed.
                          Neither weapon can protect you from a wide scale event, unless you just get lucky.
                          Just getting to where you think you want to be, may be impossible...what then?
                          Living at orange level for survival and running, is a concern/fear/paranoia that most people cannot live with.

Your question tell us you are new at this...Which is fine.
                          Everyone has their own starting points.
                          Learn how to shoot and become a good hunter. Learn how to shoot with your weak side.
                          Practice using snares and traps for small game...by actually doing it.
                          I am not talking about using a box blind or tree stand, and don't use bait, like a corn feeder.
                          Learn how to still hunt, spot and stalk. Learn how to (by actually doing it) use natural Cover for a ground blind. Learn animal highways, sleeping areas, and food and water sources
                          Learn how to quarter, debone, and process your own meat.
                          FWIW You hunt a man the same way you hunt an animal (but he can shoot back), but a man may choose to hunt you when you don't know he is coming.
                          Survival in these scenarios require the help and skill of others...I'm going to McDonald's for 1/4 pounder meal deal

Comment

Today, Dec 10 = 2020, A black WI Congress woman gave blacks the o.k. to attack whites.
                            This division has gone too far. We have been housing colored people, mostly africans, in our big cities and feeding them and educating them for over 200 years. It is time they stood up and did things for themselves. If they don't like the U.S. they can leave. We happen to like it just about the way it is. There are 8 or so non blacks to every 1 black so they should be careful what they do and say. I think a lot of non blacks are fed up with the tail trying to wag the dog.

Comment

I spent over a week on bivouac with snakes and scorpions all around. Night maneuvers almost every night. No thanks. You better practice for a day or two before you make a life of it. My advice is read a lot and practice in sight of Micky D's first.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                I’ve done that before myself. But I used a Ford ranger. Back in my younger days....
                                Today, 10:43 PM
                              • Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                Gave up on the camp knife. And did a little more research. I figure I got three grandsons. So I might as well buy a good quality hatchet, camp axe and...
                                05-25-2021, 10:36 PM
                              • Reply to Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                I also bought a 29.00 splitting mail from Walmart. We see how it works this weekend also. My wife is none to happy with spending 500 bucks on two axes....
                                Today, 10:42 PM
                              • Reply to Quality axe
                                by 99explorer
                                I'm surprised nobody here has suggested using a stump-grinder.
                                Today, 10:33 PM
                              • AZ Forensics
                                by jhjimbo
                                The AZ counting is done. Ballot forensics is left and people from counting have joined that group to speed things up. Their completion is June 26th....
                                Today, 10:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X