No announcement yet.

What's on your belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually, a Ruger Vaquero .45 with shot loads and solids in the belt loops. Either a Benchmade, KOA, or Western skinning/gutting knife. Binoculars on a Crooked Horn Outfitters harness. All the rest of my "possibles" I carry in a small OD ditty bag and usually leave in the Jeep, ATV or pickup.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	45 002.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	683.3 KB
ID:	761600

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
      Usually, a Ruger Vaquero .45 with shot loads and solids in the belt loops. Either a Benchmade, KOA, or Western skinning/gutting knife. Binoculars on a Crooked Horn Outfitters harness. All the rest of my "possibles" I carry in a small OD ditty bag and usually leave in the Jeep, ATV or pickup.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	45 002.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	683.3 KB
ID:	761600
      I like the Vaquero and had an original model in .45 Colt. My handloads used the Hornady 250gr XTP and were hot, running about 1100 fps. Killed a few deer and pigs with it.

Because of weight, I quit carrying the Vaquero and switched to the SP101. After 5 years of unuse, I sold the Vaquero this past summer.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        PH: Anymore I only wear a pistol (Ruger .22) when I squirrel hunt and then it's a rigged up crossdraw across my chest. Just carry a super light Buck knife set then. My fixed blades I use deer hunting reside in my backpack. I like sitting comfortable.
        I remember you mentioning the crossdraw carry and may come up with a similar rig for my MK III.

Comment

PigHunter- I went to the .45 Vaquero because of several instances of failure to kill rattlesnakes with .357/.38 Special rounds amongst my hunting buddies. Most of them have gone to carrying a .410/45 Judge, but I am not particularly fond of that weapon. My only experience with shooting a snake with shot, prior to switching to the .45, was with .22 ratshot. I had to shoot twice, and was lucky to kill the snake. He was a 5'+ specimen that was determined to dispute my progress in walking to a downed deer. Two loads of CCI ratshot won my rights to travel that trail.
          After that, I switched to the .45 with some hand loaded shot loads, with #9 shot, and no problems since. I wear snake boots, but the size snake usually encountered in thick mesquite and prickly pear country can easily strike over a 17" boot, if so inclined. I will stick with the old reliable .45 Colt.

Comment

crm3006, that makes a very good case for toting a .45 with rat shot and I'd probably do the same in that area. Would a full-sized machette be adequate for the job?

20 years ago I wore snake boots in warmer weather. But like I've said elsewhere, the snakes seem to have dissapeared locally in woods roamed by feral pigs.

Comment

PigHunter-A machete will certainly do the job for a snake, and I have used one more than once. However, the .45 is a lot easier to carry, maybe not less weight, but not as awkward when getting into stands, or blinds. I never could carry one of those things conveniently unless it was secured to a ruck. I generally have a machete in the truck, but don't always drive to the hunting area.
              As to the snake boots, they are more for protection from prickly pear thorns than snakes, but, where there are both prickly pears, mesquites, and snakes, the snake boots work well.
              Last edited by crm3006; 12-02-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I've used .22 rat shot and .38 shot shells to good effect on snakes.
                A good hoe or shovel works well, but a machete, to me, is just a bit too damned close! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I remember you mentioning the crossdraw carry and may come up with a similar rig for my MK III.
                  I like it best for guns that have optics on them. Scopes, red dots, and reflexes fair poorly in cover when worn on the side.

Comment

Anyone know if pepper spray works on snakes?

Comment

I dunno....but they do make a snake "repellent". It comes in granules and you sprinkle it around your house or whatever you don't want snakes in.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Anyone know if pepper spray works on snakes?
                        snakes have a clear lens over their eye and where our ducts overflow out our eyes I believe snakes drain into their mouth. So I'm doubtful. But if you're not carrying it at the ready every second wouldn't you get hit before you could pull it? And if you saw the snake in time to deploy couldn't you just move out of striking distance? Practicality = 0. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The best gun, or tool for that matter, for snakes will always be whatever is in your hand or handy.

Comment

Just one of those random thoughts that pop into my head regularly. Think you could deploy it the same as a handgun but the result wouldn’t be a dispatched snake so why bother right?

Comment

From dewman: "But if you're not carrying it at the ready every second wouldn't you get hit before you could pull it? And if you saw the snake in time to deploy couldn't you just move out of striking distance? Practicality = 0. Just my 2 cents."

I am not Dan Combs, or even Wild Bill Hiccup, but I have dispatched several hostile reptiles with that .45, and never had to carry it anywhere but holstered. In the country where I encounter the most of the snakes, the thick prickly pear and mesquite sometimes make it very inconvenient to just move out of the way.
                              Also, it is part of our hunting agreement to kill any poisonous snakes, coyotes, feral hogs, feral dogs, or any other unwanted varmint while hunting.

https://www.okhistory.org/historycenter/olemhof/hall-of-fame-detail.php?hofmembers_id=22

Comment

Nothing. Knife is in a stuff sack with all my cleaning junk. Rifle is in my hands, no need for bear spray or handgun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad