Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ammo shortage affecting your hunting season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
    Ammo was the least of my worries preventing me from hunting this season. Next year!
    Oh WAM! Yeah, as I understand it, my problems couldn't hold a candle to yours, I'm in the same, "just wait 'til next year" boat myself.
    This is my "next year" and of course, old "Murphy" kicked in.
    Looks like if I do ANY hunting this year, it will be in south Texas.
    ...and that's not necessarily a bad "thang"! LOL!

God bless and best wishes for a marvelous CHRISTmas and holidays, WAM!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Oh WAM! Yeah, as I understand it, my problems couldn't hold a candle to yours, I'm in the same, "just wait 'til next year" boat myself.
      This is my "next year" and of course, old "Murphy" kicked in.
      Looks like if I do ANY hunting this year, it will be in south Texas.
      ...and that's not necessarily a bad "thang"! LOL!

God bless and best wishes for a marvelous CHRISTmas and holidays, WAM!
      Thanks Bubba,
      A Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to you and yours! Got a good report from the sawbones yesterday, so next season is looking up! Happy Trails

Comment

Yes I haven’t been able to buy any 25-06 or .270 or 30-30 for several months. People are buying ammo they don’t have guns for just so they can have it. Dumbest sh?! I’ve ever seen. Hoping to turn a buck. I had a not really friend let’s say a guy I know call me and offer me the ammo I use for my 25-06 at great deal of 80 a box. After laughing at him he got upset. I told him bring the receipt and I would give him what he gave per box plus 5 bucks a box for delivery he said no. So he’s sitting on 10 boxes no nothing to with it. He doesn’t know I have a considerable stash at the house. He will call before Christmas whining again needing money. I will get it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          Yes I haven’t been able to buy any 25-06 or .270 or 30-30 for several months. People are buying ammo they don’t have guns for just so they can have it. Dumbest sh?! I’ve ever seen. Hoping to turn a buck. I had a not really friend let’s say a guy I know call me and offer me the ammo I use for my 25-06 at great deal of 80 a box. After laughing at him he got upset. I told him bring the receipt and I would give him what he gave per box plus 5 bucks a box for delivery he said no. So he’s sitting on 10 boxes no nothing to with it. He doesn’t know I have a considerable stash at the house. He will call before Christmas whining again needing money. I will get it then.
          I really dislike hoarders, opportunists and price gougers.

Comment

I have plenty of primers, powder and bullets for my 300WSM and my 308. The only problem is I am running short of small rifle primers for my new toy my Ruger Ranch Rifle in 223. I have probably 800+ rounds for the 223 and it is my knock around rifle to carry when I go to camp in case I see a coyote. With a 16 inch barrel it is also handy to carry on my 4 wheeler.

Comment

I received an email yesterday that a powder order I placed on 11/16 was on the way. I had caught a post on another forum about powder being in stock at a known supplier, when I checked at 10pm that night I was able to order an 8lb jug of Ramshot Big Game and 2-1lb bottles of H4831sc. When I checked first thing the next morning both those were sold out as well as a number of other common powders they had in. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket that night.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                I received an email yesterday that a powder order I placed on 11/16 was on the way. I had caught a post on another forum about powder being in stock at a known supplier, when I checked at 10pm that night I was able to order an 8lb jug of Ramshot Big Game and 2-1lb bottles of H4831sc. When I checked first thing the next morning both those were sold out as well as a number of other common powders they had in. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket that night.
                Yeah...and maybe a few shares of "Dry Hole Charlies" oil drilling bidness.
                Charlie needs a little luck too!
                Maybe yours would rub off.
                Heck, he only needs one producer to make a difference.

Comment

Fitch270: Glad you're finding some components

Comment

One thing about it fitch270, if you keep that powder dry and cool, it will last a long time.

As an aside, there are 7000 grains per pound of powder. An eight pound container has 56,000 grains.
                    if you're loading (max) 40 grains per round, that comes to approximately 1400 rounds or about 70 boxes of ammo! That's a lot of ammo! LOL!

Comment

I've been using 50 grains average in mind since we have the 2-.270's to load for. Still a conservative estimate for us.

The 8lb jug was all that was available for Big Game, which seems to be a favorite for the 7mm-08. I was hoping to find some but hadn't been overly optimistic so I wasn't going to let the chance slip away. It should last the kid for awhile. In the end he'll benefit the most out of the process.

I'm guessing as the kids get older and start doing their own thing I'll be shooting more often just for something to do. The only downside to this is that it's likely to cause new rifle purchases just 'cause.

Comment

It hasn't stopped me from hunting as that only takes a round or two. I have been aggressively searching the web for months trying to locate primers though. I was dumb and let my small rifle primers get low. I probably won't be able to shoot in any more matches due to lack of ammo. I have been rationing my range visits and shots fired when there.

I sure would like to know where all the primers in the world have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                          It hasn't stopped me from hunting as that only takes a round or two. I have been aggressively searching the web for months trying to locate primers though. I was dumb and let my small rifle primers get low. I probably won't be able to shoot in any more matches due to lack of ammo. I have been rationing my range visits and shots fired when there.

I sure would like to know where all the primers in the world have gone.
                          People are hoarding. I see primers at the flea market from time to time. If Biden is sworn in I would check my inventory level of everything. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                            Specialty Personal Defense rounds are now $4 per round/ $80 per box of 20.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Specialty Personal Defense rounds are now $4 per round/ $80 per box of 20.
                              I've stopped practicing with 9mm because of the shortages. I've got enough self defense rounds for all magazines to be filled. But, there's only a few hundred FMJ's in my inventory so pistol practice these days is with the .22lr

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I've stopped practicing with 9mm because of the shortages. I've got enough self defense rounds for all magazines to be filled. But, there's only a few hundred FMJ's in my inventory so pistol practice these days is with the .22lr
                                I tried some FMJ reloads and they work fine - $18.00 per 50. The guy is a small manufacturer - about 3,000 rds per week, has dedicated loaders for popular rounds. Very good looking ammo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Gunsmiths
                                  by DakotaMan
                                  jimbo, we have a few powders that used to be available to us that are relatively temperature insensitive. For the .308, powders capable of this that have...
                                  Today, 01:27 AM
                                • Gunsmiths
                                  by MattM37
                                  https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...ong-at-82.html

Good article on...
                                  01-12-2021, 03:33 PM
                                • Reply to Ups truck stopped by.
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  'dawg, do you have a reciever squaring tool?
                                  Think I'll try to get one before my next build! That is if Biden let's us have parts! LOL!
                                  Today, 12:04 AM
                                • Ups truck stopped by.
                                  by Milldawg
                                  Well have all of my parts except a hand guard for the at-15 carbine I’m building so I thought what the heck. Still waiting on optics planet for the...
                                  Yesterday, 09:10 PM
                                • Reply to Washington, D.C.
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I don't think anything will happen - locked down too tight. Chances are better for a State Capitol - like one of the six crooked States....
                                  Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X