Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ammo shortage affecting your hunting season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ammo shortage affecting your hunting season?

Lot's of us here on F&S are reloaders, so ammo availability isn't a HUGE factor in our ability to enjoy our sport.
    But not everybody reloads.
    Do you know of other hunters who are having ammo problems?

https://wsbt.com/news/local/national...hunting-season

Not me.
    I have helped a couple of friends though

Comment

Packed up my reloading setup and moved it to my "winter home" in S. Texas!
      I've got plenty "me" ammo.....
      Who am I kidding, these old "dirt turners" around here couldn't care less about hunting and even less about reloading.
      Got one neighbor who shoots, hunts and reloads. We get together every chance we can.

Comment

I helped a buddy of mine. His son shoots 150gr factory loaded CoreLokts in his .308 and couldn't find any. So, I gave him three boxes.

Comment

I'll be using the .308 Win and .357 Maximum to start out the season. My handloads: The .308 is sighted 2.5 inches high at 100 yards (2750 fps - 2.5in drop at 250 yds), the .357 Max is sighted dead-on at 100 yards (2000 fps)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rem 788 2020_08_18 02.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	760522

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_06_12 load.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	760521

Comment

I would say you are ready. The .308 is a nice round and usually with good performance. The bullets have a good ratio of width to length. decent mass traveling at suitable velocity makes them a deadly combination.
            Can a .357mag be fired in a .357max ?
            A trip to NY is in the works and if so, I will take my latest acquisition, the .308 Remington 742. It was a carbine but I have converted it to a rifle and also added a left hand safety. I have 165's and 180's loaded for it. I like W748 and have used Bl-C-2 and IMR4060. I don't push the load for the 742 - plenty of power and range at modest velocity's. My back-up on this trip might be my 6.5X55. 160gr partitions.
            BTW, people in Ohio around my camp are seeing black bears showing up on cameras. Probably coming in from PA where the adults are pushing them away.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-19-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim. This will be my first use of the Barnes TSX. In the late 90s and early 2000s I used Barnes X bullets in that rifle to good effect. I've used Corelokts the last 15 years. The .308 does great on Alabama deer and pigs.

The .357 magnum will chamber and fire in a .357 Maximum. I'm guessing several hundred fps difference between the two from the same barrel. I'll chronograph some the next time I go to the range. My .357 magnum load was 16.0 grains of W296 with a Hornady 158gr XTP.

The .30-06, 6.5 CM, and .45-70 may be left in the safe this season, simply because I want to try my new handloads in the .308 and .357 Max.

Comment

We're using 308's & '06's so ammo wasn't a concern. Everyone had several boxes from last year and there was still some on shelves. A little trading (270 for 308 type of thing) but everyone got to take the guns they wanted. I had(have) extra 7mm-08, 257R, 30-30, 270,32special,44 & 357 mag,243, & 7Rmag if anybody needed some but everyone was good. One of my pals went into a farm & feed and bought 300wsm night before the opener. Pretty hit or miss around here. Heard the 6.5 C was not to be found anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  We're using 308's & '06's so ammo wasn't a concern. Everyone had several boxes from last year and there was still some on shelves. A little trading (270 for 308 type of thing) but everyone got to take the guns they wanted. I had(have) extra 7mm-08, 257R, 30-30, 270,32special,44 & 357 mag,243, & 7Rmag if anybody needed some but everyone was good. One of my pals went into a farm & feed and bought 300wsm night before the opener. Pretty hit or miss around here. Heard the 6.5 C was not to be found anywhere.
                  Did things change as the season drew closer? I thought supplies were in pretty good shape by you not long ago.

Brown truck keeps pulling in the drive lately, I've been keeping an eye on the net and have managed to find some deals or at least some availability at ok prices. Plan to keep at it.

Comment

When Walmart pulled their guns and ammo from the shelves for a couple days people round here lost their damn minds. Already starting to get better in all the stores and pawn shops. Academy is still pretty barren.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      When Walmart pulled their guns and ammo from the shelves for a couple days people round here lost their damn minds. Already starting to get better in all the stores and pawn shops. Academy is still pretty barren.
                      Local pawn shop "HAD" buttloads of AR's!
                      Along came COVID-19!

VOILA!

Bet they don't have 3 on a shelf that normally had 30+!

Comment

"... Brown truck keeps pulling in the drive lately, I've been keeping an eye on the net and have managed to find some deals or at least some availability at ok prices. Plan to keep at it. ..."

My biggest problem is bullets for my 6.8mm.
                        It prefers 90 and 100 grain.
                        I'm too much of a tightwad to pay $35/box for 50 bullets.
                        Finding bullets that come in 100 count boxes in the $35 range AIN'T primo bullets! LOL!
                        Gold Dots are a favorite....when I can find them.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          "... Brown truck keeps pulling in the drive lately, I've been keeping an eye on the net and have managed to find some deals or at least some availability at ok prices. Plan to keep at it. ..."

My biggest problem is bullets for my 6.8mm.
                          It prefers 90 and 100 grain.
                          I'm too much of a tightwad to pay $35/box for 50 bullets.
                          Finding bullets that come in 100 count boxes in the $35 range AIN'T primo bullets! LOL!
                          Gold Dots are a favorite....when I can find them.
                          Pm sent...

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Pm sent...
                            Gotcha!
                            That'll work mi amigo!
                            Much grass!

Comment

Ammo was the least of my worries preventing me from hunting this season. Next year!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad