Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie
    replied
    It will kill deer just fine. I use a bonded bullet - 140 grain Accubond for this deer at 588 yards.

Leave a comment:

• Brad P
    replied
    Nice!!! Reckon how the 160 trophy bonded tips will do for deer? Is a deer sturdy enough for the bullet to “work”?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad P View Post
    This is all great!!! Sorry for the conversational ghosting, but I am back to 70 hours a week at the plant. A new twist has originated from my original post, I have acquired a 7mm rem mag last week. I have only been able to find two different kinds of ammo for it, federal 150gr game kings and 160gr federal trophy bonded tips. It shoots both of them fine, so it’s making my decision of the two a little difficult.
    My Remington 7mmMag likes a variety. I will show a target at 300yds with Winchester PowerPoint 175gr. Couple of my 7Mag rifles. Remington 700, 7mmMag 100yds, 175gr Remington
    CoreLokt Click image for larger version  Name:	Remington 700 7mm 300 yd target.JPG Views:	0 Size:	556.8 KB ID:	764096 Click image for larger version  Name:	IM000413.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	764097 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2181.jpg Views:	0 Size:	520.3 KB ID:	764098
    Trophy Bonded are premium bullets, I would save them for hunting. Jim
    Picture only of my Mauser 7mm RemMag.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad P View Post
    This is all great!!! Sorry for the conversational ghosting, but I am back to 70 hours a week at the plant. A new twist has originated from my original post, I have acquired a 7mm rem mag last week. I have only been able to find two different kinds of ammo for it, federal 150gr game kings and 160gr federal trophy bonded tips. It shoots both of them fine, so it’s making my decision of the two a little difficult.
    Go with the trophy bonded bullets for Elk.
    I have used 180 grain Game Kings in 30 Caliber on elk, and they worked great, but a bonded bullet is a step up and will do a better job if and when you hit bone in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Brad P
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    Good stuff

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    The optimum bullet/cartridge for elk depends on the range you will shoot. In general, mono-metal bullets lose their expansion at velocities below 2000 fps so you will have to consider Click image for larger version

Name:	hunting bullet expansion.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	761467 your maximum shot range. As you can see, although it is a relatively new bullet, the Hornady ELD is performing very well at both high velocity shorter shots and long range, slower velocity shots. It is also accurate enough to be used by long range match shooters.

I use the Berger hunting bullets for my 300 Dakota where elk shots could be out to 1000 yards but I use Barnes 168 TTSX for my 30-06 elk rifle where shots will be within about 450 yards. Attached is a comparison by Field & Stream from a few years ago that I found to be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    The triple shocks work for elk.
    A lot of other bullets do too

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    ......”I eat heart/liver/lung=guts......” !

I believe the proper name for them is organs, which are separate from guts ! Or maybe it just sounds better to the ear and just maybe to the stomach !!

Leave a comment:

• rock rat
    replied
    What are different kinds of lead ? You eat the guts ?
    As I understand it lead from paint and lead from leaded gasoline is absorbed into the body much easier, than the bits from game meat. A famous study of N dakota found that elevated levels of lead in the blood of hunters was still lower than the levels of non hunters in the average US population. Residual lead from paint and gasoline in urban environments was more of a factor than game meat in N Dakota. https://www.nssf.org/study-on-game-m...s-the-science/

I eat heart/liver/lungs = guts.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    Like I said before I didn't have very good results with Barnes Triple Shocks. This year I loaded 165 grain Hornady SST's in my 300WSM. I shot an 8 point this morning and Hornady's advertising that they "create huge wound channals" is spot on advertising. They recommend them for elk and I wouldn't hestitate using them on elk.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    I am pretty much of a non-believer in the words ‘elk are tuff’ ! Put a hole through both lungs and they will die as quick as any other game animal. Any animal not hit correctly is ‘tuff’ to put down. I have shot 8 elk with a recurve, harvested 7 of them. The one I lost was shot at a steep downhill position, was above the entrance lung but did hit the exit lung. I watched that elk for 15 minutes from the exit side of the arrow and saw the blood in the perfect position, but that is not enough to put any animal on the ground ! When I returned an hour later, found where the elk had bedded, but no blood from there on. If an arrow through both lungs can kill an elk, so can any big game bullet, just hit them right to begin with !

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I have to say that I’m not a personal fan of the .270 Win. However, with good bullets it is certainly capable of killing elk. The only monometal bullet I have used is Barnes TTSX and TSX, the latter before the TTSX came out. I have never lost an animal shot with either and no elk has taken more than a couple of steps before expiration. The last four I have killed pretty much went down in their tracks. I have never tried E-Tips, Trophy Copper, or Hornady GMX bullets, but I have to guess they work. The .300 Weatherby is my personal choice for elk with a 7mm Weatherby as a backup and mule deer gun. Your mileage may vary. Happy Trails

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    What are different kinds of lead ? You eat the guts ?
    The early copper(?) might have been Herters. Actually bullets like CoreLokt are gilding metal and I am sure it varies in hardness from Company to Company.
    I always used CoreLokts and they performed good. Never had a partition have a problem. I use Partitions in everything, even have some 170's flat nose Partitions for the 30-30.
    My Elk rifle is a Mk V Weatherby in .340Wby. I have a variety of 250gr. All I need is to get drawn.

Leave a comment:

• rock rat
    replied
    Long answer coming up.....

I first used copper before I was handloading, not sure of the brand, they acted like the corelokts I was used to, double lung, run a bit, fall down. I was worried about lead, because we're gut eaters here, and my kids were young. Then I learned about different forms of lead etc, and was no longer concerned.

First box of Noslers was a bad batch, most of the damage was on the outside of the ribs, though I did find a piece that had gone all the way to the other side. No visible entry in rib cage. Next shot front shoulder, ran up missed brain stem, 4th shot brain stem. Thought I might have to beat it to death, out of amo.

So I went back to Barnes. I shoot 180s out of an 06.

The bullet doubles in size immediately, so there's a 60 caliber entry hole, and it doesn't blow fragments inside, so it's a 60 caliber exit too. I really like the double lung, because an elk can run forever with a single lung. Sometimes they just stand there with a double lung then fall down after 20 seconds or so, sometimes they run like the dickens for 100 yards then fall down, but they do fall down. I've seen where people have busted through the front shoulder, then lungs, then exit ribs busting ribs on the way out.

I shot a quartering towards that went in front of ribs out the very rear of ribs, 2 feet of elk. The stupidest shot (and I've done plenty, figure I'll work my way through all the mistakes and do things right next life) stupidest shot was very quartering towards. Not wanting to waste a half pound of burger meat I placed it just behind the front leg, but the thing was at such a steep angle the bullet passed all the way through the body cavity, broke the rear leg just below the hip and lodged in a ham. Not sure how many feet of elk, five at least and plenty of power to turn a rear leg bone into chunks.

So ya, I like Barnes.

Shoot what you have, save your money for freezer paper and cling wrap. I would say shoot as heavy a bullet as is reasonable, just my opinion. I know lots of people shoot heavy for caliber. Don't know too many shoot over 200 yards, though I read about it in magazines. People shoot 243s too but I think that's a touch small, 270s can shoot a 150 without slowing down much.

Elk are tough, just saying. All the above descriptions are on elk, don't remember deer as well, if I were a better hunter I'd get a big muley, but I always settle for the first one I see. Mule deer run away shot in the heart, but they aren't as momentous as elk. I use the same ammo on everything.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad