No announcement yet.

Copper bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are different kinds of lead ? You eat the guts ?
    As I understand it lead from paint and lead from leaded gasoline is absorbed into the body much easier, than the bits from game meat. A famous study of N dakota found that elevated levels of lead in the blood of hunters was still lower than the levels of non hunters in the average US population. Residual lead from paint and gasoline in urban environments was more of a factor than game meat in N Dakota. https://www.nssf.org/study-on-game-m...s-the-science/

I eat heart/liver/lungs = guts.

Comment

......”I eat heart/liver/lung=guts......” !

I believe the proper name for them is organs, which are separate from guts ! Or maybe it just sounds better to the ear and just maybe to the stomach !!

Comment

The triple shocks work for elk.
        A lot of other bullets do too

Comment

The optimum bullet/cartridge for elk depends on the range you will shoot. In general, mono-metal bullets lose their expansion at velocities below 2000 fps so you will have to consider Click image for larger version

Name:	hunting bullet expansion.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	761467 your maximum shot range. As you can see, although it is a relatively new bullet, the Hornady ELD is performing very well at both high velocity shorter shots and long range, slower velocity shots. It is also accurate enough to be used by long range match shooters.

I use the Berger hunting bullets for my 300 Dakota where elk shots could be out to 1000 yards but I use Barnes 168 TTSX for my 30-06 elk rifle where shots will be within about 450 yards. Attached is a comparison by Field & Stream from a few years ago that I found to be helpful.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

This is all great!!! Sorry for the conversational ghosting, but I am back to 70 hours a week at the plant. A new twist has originated from my original post, I have acquired a 7mm rem mag last week. I have only been able to find two different kinds of ammo for it, federal 150gr game kings and 160gr federal trophy bonded tips. It shoots both of them fine, so it’s making my decision of the two a little difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad P View Post
                This is all great!!! Sorry for the conversational ghosting, but I am back to 70 hours a week at the plant. A new twist has originated from my original post, I have acquired a 7mm rem mag last week. I have only been able to find two different kinds of ammo for it, federal 150gr game kings and 160gr federal trophy bonded tips. It shoots both of them fine, so it’s making my decision of the two a little difficult.
                Go with the trophy bonded bullets for Elk.
                I have used 180 grain Game Kings in 30 Caliber on elk, and they worked great, but a bonded bullet is a step up and will do a better job if and when you hit bone in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad P View Post
                  My Remington 7mmMag likes a variety. I will show a target at 300yds with Winchester PowerPoint 175gr. Couple of my 7Mag rifles. Remington 700, 7mmMag 100yds, 175gr Remington
                  CoreLokt Click image for larger version  Name:	Remington 700 7mm 300 yd target.JPG Views:	0 Size:	556.8 KB ID:	764096 Click image for larger version  Name:	IM000413.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	764097 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2181.jpg Views:	0 Size:	520.3 KB ID:	764098
                  Trophy Bonded are premium bullets, I would save them for hunting. Jim
                  Picture only of my Mauser 7mm RemMag.

Comment

Nice!!! Reckon how the 160 trophy bonded tips will do for deer? Is a deer sturdy enough for the bullet to “work”?

Comment

It will kill deer just fine. I use a bonded bullet - 140 grain Accubond for this deer at 588 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad