Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sir. Not this weekend.

Comment

Me neither. Got too much family stuff going on. I plan to practice more with both bows. The crossbow is easily acceptable to 30 yards and I'm starting to practice at greater distances.

Comment

At 10am our Scout troop is picking up flags in the cemetery that mark the Veterans graves so no morning hunt. Depending on how long we’re there I may try to get out with the younger Britt for a couple hours but after that I’m planning to be on stand with the bow. Cold front moving in tomorrow afternoon with temps dropping into the 40’s. Bucks should be starting to get worked up so it could make for a good sit.

Comment

Here in NW Montana, I'm heading out with my son in a few hours. Today is opening day for elk and deer rifle season. Right now it's 3 a.m. and blizzarding outside as a wicked front is moving through. Two weeks ago it was 75-81 degrees all week. Last week in the 60s. Yesterday the high was 30 and right now it's -1 outside with a projected high of 25. Nasty, but the animals should be moving all right. Hopefully run into an elk herd I've been watching, and very hopeful that this front will drive some larger groups down from the mountains, where a foot of snow has already fallen since yesterday noon.

The weather stinks for hiking but good for driving the big boys outta the steep slopes!

Comment

Stay safe, watch for hypothermia. Good Luck

Comment

Updates: Opening day was extremely cold. My son and I went north and saw enough deer but nothing to harvest on the first day of a month-long season. Our windows froze on the truck in the closed position. It was colder than below-0, and my portable thermometer apparently doesn't operate or display temps colder than that one. The truck thermometer said minus-6, but it had warmed a bit by the time I checked it.

This past weekend my buddy and I drove six hours to SW Montana to hunt elk and hopefully meet up with Ontario Honker Hunter, who was hunting in an area close by. None of us found elk on public land, which was very strange. So was the weather - almost 70 degrees and bright sun each day all day, which is more than 70 degrees warmer than a week ago! We know numerous other hunters who humped the landscape from 5,000 to 8,000 feet with zero success in the same areas. Usually they see herds in the hundreds here, and we are speculating that the bizarre weather and full moons are in play.

OHH is now off hunting birds, and we all are waiting for the weather to turn - hopefully somewhere in the middle. The deer rut should kick in a couple weeks. Hopefully report back then with better harvest news. Hey, at least my buddy and I had a great time playing cards and dice in the evenings!

Comment

Great report proverbs. Hope you folks eventually connect.
                "Hunting hard" is one thing.
                "Hard hunting" quite another.
                "Hunting hard" with no reward is why it's called hunting instead of killing.
                "Hard hunting" with no reward can be a bummer.

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted on here in a while not much to report. It was in 70s all last week.

I've been in my stand since hour before sunrise .Saw three doe out of range. About 10:45 a big buck came out.

Finally getting him in the open and I fing shoot underneath him🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I shot my bow last night and it was on.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                    Sorry I haven't posted on here in a while not much to report. It was in 70s all last week.

I've been in my stand since hour before sunrise .Saw three doe out of range. About 10:45 a big buck came out.

That's tough danbo!
                    Better luck next time, mi amigo!
                    Maybe that was "luck" telling you there is a better buck coming! 😉!

1) At least, you didn't wing him and not find him!
                    2) At least, you don't have to go home and clean a stinking deer!
                    3) At least, you still have a tag!
                    4) At least, you didn't fall out of your stand!

Could always be worser my friend!

I'd much rather a clean miss than an "iffy" hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Sorry to hear that.
                      All of us miss from time to time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad