Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting

Has anyone been out chasing game yet!
    Resident goose and squirrel season is open here in NY.

moving spam

Nothing here in the Great American Flyover. I think dove season is open but I don't hunt them.

Insert generic xenophobic racist slur against spammers here.

Comment

Double that. Killing spam.

Comment

I went looking for pigs yesterday but didn't find any. It was almost 6 miles in the canoe round trip. Mainly just an excuse to get outdoors. I should have fished instead.
        Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Continued rant.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            I went looking for pigs yesterday but didn't find any. It was almost 6 miles in the canoe round trip. Mainly just an excuse to get outdoors. I should have fished instead.
            What is the pig situation in your area PH ? Many or just scattered and passing through ? From just the river in a canoe, is your ability to locate pretty limited ? Do you always retrieve pigs when shot, or is just removing a few good enough ?

Comment

I have occasional tracks around some feeders. Years ago, Ohio published 'shoot on sight' guidelines and I think Ohio has, for the most part complied. I think some of the ones around my place are escaped pigs.

I have a pig question. Stock market commodities lists a value for 'lean hogs'. Don't fat pigs bring more money ?

Comment

"... I have a pig question. Stock market commodities lists a value for 'lean hogs'. Don't fat pigs bring more money ? ..."

Depends.
                In today's "health conscious" society, leaner meat is preferred.
                "lean hogs" doesn't necessarily mean "un-fat" hogs.
                Pasture raised hogs are leaner than pen raised hogs.

All pork cuts don't "marble" with fat like beef or other red meats.
                Health conscious people can trim the fat off a pork chop and have, basically, pure lean meat.
                Chicken breasts are preferred because they are "fat free"(?). Pork is considered "the other white meat".

There is (was?) a market in my area for live feral hogs. They are extremely lean due to their constant motion. Buyers would have them slaughtered and shipped to France where extremely lean pork is considered a delicacy. I've probably furnished France with about a ton of the stuff! LOL!
                There just isn't much profit in trapping feral hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

What is the pig situation in your area PH ? Many or just scattered and passing through ? From just the river in a canoe, is your ability to locate pretty limited ? Do you always retrieve pigs when shot, or is just removing a few good enough ?
                  Richard, great questions. The area I hunted yesterday is part of a WMA where two navigable rivers join. The land forms fingers into a swampy area that can be completely flooded after heavy rains. But for most of the year the dry ground can be up to 7 feet above the river level. Those fingers of land join to higher ground that is bordered by a well established hunting club. The club has good food plots that attract deer and pigs. In drier weather, those deer and pigs freely wander onto the WMA. So, it's somewhat haphazard and a bit of luck to find pigs.

My target area to scout yesterday was a long spit of land that narrows to about 100 yards wide before it joins to the higher ground. That's where I'd like to bow hunt next month since game moving through is confined to that narrow pathway. To get there, I had to travel along one of the rivers before entering the swamp. In the past I've paddled the whole way but this time I used a 30# trolling motor on my larger canoe. Once into the swamp, the water can get very shallow so I raise the motor and just paddle. The water passages are bordered by sawgrass which can make some nasty cuts on unprotected skin. In the attached photo, you can see one of those passages beyond where I landed the canoe.

There was a little breeze yesterday and my plan was to move along the water until I smelled pigs or spotted where they had frequently come down to the water. Both methods have worked in the past as a start for an on-land stalk. Alas, the water was way too shallow for me to get to the intended place and I had to land over a half mile short. There was a minor game trail that I followed for a while through the thick undergrowth but I only saw deer tracks and no sign of pigs. However, the orb weaver spiders and mosquitos were abundant. I was on high alert for snakes since I'd seen a copperhead swimming on my way there.

As for any potential pork, my plan was to just take the backstraps and store the meat in a small cooler that contained my drinking water. It was very hot and there would have been spoilage otherwise. I have left the whole carcass before when it's been a hot day and no way for me to safely handle the meat.

It was a fun experience even if I didn't bag a squirrel or pig. My weapons for the day were a suppressed Ruger Mk III in .22lr and an unsuppressed Henry lever action in .22wmr.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_09_13 Camo Canoe.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	746317

Name:	2020_09_13 Undergrowth 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	746318

Comment

With the reproductive rate of ferals, hunting and trapping will never eradicate them.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Richard, great questions. The area I hunted yesterday is part of a WMA where two navigable rivers join. The land forms fingers into a swampy area that can be completely flooded after heavy rains. But for most of the year the dry ground can be up to 7 feet above the river level. Those fingers of land join to higher ground that is bordered by a well established hunting club. The club has good food plots that attract deer and pigs. In drier weather, those deer and pigs freely wander onto the WMA. So, it's somewhat haphazard and a bit of luck to find pigs.

My target area to scout yesterday was a long spit of land that narrows to about 100 yards wide before it joins to the higher ground. That's where I'd like to bow hunt next month since game moving through is confined to that narrow pathway. To get there, I had to travel along one of the rivers before entering the swamp. In the past I've paddled the whole way but this time I used a 30# trolling motor on my larger canoe. Once into the swamp, the water can get very shallow so I raise the motor and just paddle. The water passages are bordered by sawgrass which can make some nasty cuts on unprotected skin. In the attached photo, you can see one of those passages beyond where I landed the canoe.

There was a little breeze yesterday and my plan was to move along the water until I smelled pigs or spotted where they had frequently come down to the water. Both methods have worked in the past as a start for an on-land stalk. Alas, the water was way too shallow for me to get to the intended place and I had to land over a half mile short. There was a minor game trail that I followed for a while through the thick undergrowth but I only saw deer tracks and no sign of pigs. However, the orb weaver spiders and mosquitos were abundant. I was on high alert for snakes since I'd seen a copperhead swimming on my way there.

As for any potential pork, my plan was to just take the backstraps and store the meat in a small cooler that contained my drinking water. It was very hot and there would have been spoilage otherwise. I have left the whole carcass before when it's been a hot day and no way for me to safely handle the meat.

It was a fun experience even if I didn't bag a squirrel or pig. My weapons for the day were a suppressed Ruger Mk III in .22lr and an unsuppressed Henry lever action in .22wmr.

Name:	2020_09_13 Camo Canoe.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	746317

Name:	2020_09_13 Undergrowth 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	746318
                      Sounds exciting, felt like almost being with you from your writing ! The only disagreeable wording was about the snakes. After my up close and personal experience with a very large rattler a few years ago while elk hunting in Col., I have developed a strong dislike for anything without legs ! That Henry lever action 22 you spoke of, is a fine looking rifle !!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Sounds exciting, felt like almost being with you from your writing ! The only disagreeable wording was about the snakes. After my up close and personal experience with a very large rattler a few years ago while elk hunting in Col., I have developed a strong dislike for anything without legs ! That Henry lever action 22 you spoke of, is a fine looking rifle !!
                        Thanks! I'd be wary of western rattlers too!

I like the Henry and it's been a fun shooter. So far, I've used it to kill a few squirrels and a couple of pigs. Granted, one of the pigs was no bigger than a puppy, but it still counts. I'm getting about 1-1/4 inch groups at 50 yards with it. Perhaps it would do better in the hands of a marksman.

Comment

Snakes suck.
                          moving spam

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            With the reproductive rate of ferals, hunting and trapping will never eradicate them.

Yeah, I've said before and will say it again: People like complaining about the problem more than they like not having a problem.

I would like to do a hog hunt or cull. The only downside is with wild hogs have to cook thoroughly enough to kill Trig.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

Yeah, I've said before and will say it again: People like complaining about the problem more than they like not having a problem.

I would like to do a hog hunt or cull. The only downside is with wild hogs have to cook thoroughly enough to kill Trig.
                              Yes sir!
                              WELL done!
                              Even if I'm cooking small pigs (<30# on the hoof), I start with an absolute "bonfire", probably 400°/500° for about an hour, turning often and basting with BBQ sauce.
                              The heat kills any bugs. Between the heat and sauce, you get that "crust" on the outside.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad