Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What animals do you intend to hunt in the upcoming hunting seasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dewman View Post
    Ate the squirrels last night with a pal who had been hunting with me. He dips his in sauces, barbecue, honey mustard, sweet n sour(from McDonald's) & yum yum. It's not bad. Says he uses gravy like a dipping sauce sometimes as well. Starting to heat up around here & ticks really bad so I'm good till fall, I think. Took my 14 over 4 outings, all with my Ruger pistols. Didn't lose any wounded and only missed twice so I'm satisfied with them. Sorry, didn't take any pics of the food or the hunt this time so will just include standard shot of my Rugers. Took red dot off the 10" but went 3 for 3 with open sights so I'll leave it for now. Stay safe.
    What are you running on the Mark-III? I've had good luck with 3 of those TRS red-dots but I'm thinking of trying an open style on my S&W 22-A1 and possibly on the 10/22.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

What are you running on the Mark-III? I've had good luck with 3 of those TRS red-dots but I'm thinking of trying an open style on my S&W 22-A1 and possibly on the 10/22.
      On my mk3 that's a Nikon p-tactical spur(gift from my son). Very quick on target & easy to hold there. I like Leupold's delta point but I think any 2nd tier offering from Vortex, Burris, or others of similar quality would satisfy me as well. Nothing wrong with my bushnell I just wanted to shoot open and with that long sight radius it was pretty easy.

Comment

On my mk3 that's a Nikon p-tactical spur(gift from my son). Very quick on target & easy to hold there. I like Leupold's delta point but I think any 2nd tier offering from Vortex, Burris, or others of similar quality would satisfy me as well. Nothing wrong with my bushnell I just wanted to shoot open and with that long sight radius it was pretty easy.
        Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when looking around. Quick target acquisition is why I'm thinking on them.

Comment

Fitch270: closeup of my spur reflex

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            RA, do you have a favorite way to cook tree rats? I like them on top of bagels with cheese.
            Thus far my favorite way to cook them is wrapped in bacon and then fried, served with a side of mashed sweet potatoes, peas, and diced onion.

At some point, I plan to try smoking squirrel, both wrapped in bacon and unwrapped, to see how it turns out. The beef and pork roast's that we have smoked over an Apple and oak fire have been excellent and I suspect squirrel would be good too. I think the key to our success has been smoking at about 210°F for 2 hours and then wrapping the meat in a turkey bag and foil for the duration of the cooking time at 250-300°F.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

Thus far my favorite way to cook them is wrapped in bacon and then fried, served with a side of mashed sweet potatoes, peas, and diced onion.

At some point, I plan to try smoking squirrel, both wrapped in bacon and unwrapped, to see how it turns out. The beef and pork roast's that we have smoked over an Apple and oak fire have been excellent and I suspect squirrel would be good too. I think the key to our success has been smoking at about 210°F for 2 hours and then wrapping the meat in a turkey bag and foil for the duration of the cooking time at 250-300°F.
              I BBQ (smoke) meat just the opposite.
              I start directly over a blistering hot fire, turning and basting with sauce until it gets a good "char" on the outside.
              Then it's three layers of heavy duty foil and 225°F until done.
              A rack of ribs may not take an hour. A big heavy brisket up to 4 to 5 hours.

Comment

If you want to hunt one of our wild sheep get in the habit of applying annually for a permit. Over the decades I have occasionally been drawn for this wonderful experience. Application permit refunds usually returned in August sort of a surprise. If you get drawn sometimes your phone rings off the hook and emails galore from guides begging to hunt you. Hunt of several lifetimes. Dall, Rocky Mt Bighorn, Desert Bighorn are available.
                Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-10-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Well said HM

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                    If you want to hunt one of our wild sheep get in the habit of applying annually for a permit. Over the decades I have occasionally been drawn for this wonderful experience. Application permit refunds usually returned in August sort of a surprise. If you get drawn sometimes your phone rings off the hook and emails galore from guides begging to hunt you. Hunt of several lifetimes. Dall, Rocky Mt Bighorn, Desert Bighorn are available.
                    I have intentions every year of applying for special tags but the application periods seem to come and go plus I'm never sure whats the best tag to apply for. I know some units are better than other units.

Comment

Subscribe to Hunting Fool, lots of information plus deadline reminders. In fact they used to have a service to apply for you, or at least walk you through the process. I have a North American Grand Slam, plus a couple extras, so it works. Go to the Sheep Show it will help with international sheep hunting as well North America. The efforts are well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                        Subscribe to Hunting Fool, lots of information plus deadline reminders. In fact they used to have a service to apply for you, or at least walk you through the process. I have a North American Grand Slam, plus a couple extras, so it works. Go to the Sheep Show it will help with international sheep hunting as well North America. The efforts are well worth it.
                        Yes, Gohunt is another service that can be really helpful. Personally, I do this on a MUCH smaller scale than Happy Myles does and I just try to keep track of the deadlines for a couple of other states that I choose to focus on. I would need to have a dedicated calendar to really put together an application strategy for say, the whole western U.S, let alone other countries...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad