Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What animals do you intend to hunt in the upcoming hunting seasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No travel this year. Just whitetails at home, with grouse, woodcock, pheasant and ducks to spice things up. Two of my boys are now hunting, so I'll hopefully spend a bunch of time as "head guide."

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

What hunting plans do you guys have in mind?

Weapons you intend to use?
      So far my only plans are to hunt deer on our new place. I'll probably shoot some tree rats sometime. I'm also thinking about going after some turkeys, but that will depend on whether or not a flock takes up residence where I can easily get at them.

On the hardware side, I'll be using my .30-06 Remington 760 and/or a .308 T/C Compass for deer. Ruger 10/22 for squirrels. Mossberg 500c for turkeys.

Comment

RA, do you have a favorite way to cook tree rats? I like them on top of bagels with cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

When I lived in Nebraska there was no speed limit and I got a few Pheasant with the car. Unfortunately some body damage. Hit a bird at 90 or 95 and you are bound to get some damage. My neighbor used to take beef East in a semi and bring back lobster and other seafood. One day l was cruising about 85 and he recognized my car and tooted the horn. He blew by me like I was standing still. Maybe a 100mph. Always liked the crate that fell off the trailer when he got back to Nebraska.
          LOL I took a pheasant or two that way driving from Caro or Sandusky to Saginaw. LOL must have been a good neighbor! Some decent steaks or lobster, decent!!

Comment

I reckon I’ll being going after whitetail deer, hogs, squirrels, and rabbits. I’ve been seriously thinking about running a trap line so I can bag a few trash pandas. I’m not sure if I’m hunt waterfowl, turkey, or doves. I think next year I’ll try to get my hands on a cow Elk tag or go after mule deer out in mid west. Never the less I can’t wait!!

Comment

Same old. Elk and mule deer in Colorado late October, whitetail and/or mulies in WA in September - November, waterfowl October-February. Firearm selection not finalized except for the .300 Weatherby for elk, only because it’s charmed. 😎

Comment

WA Mtnhunter, good to hear from you and I hope all is well. So far, this will be the first year in over seventy years I am not planning a big game hunt. Even while on Army active duty I snuck in at least a short hunting jaunt. I am 82 and I cannot hunt the way I like to, stalking tough country after worthy trophies. By Fall resolve may weaken, who knows. How is Beekeeper? Sure miss his contributions. Africa not the same for me. I keep running into checklist hunters who want no hassles and quick rewards. Adventure is avoided, just want to say they have been there. Asia in the old days, just getting there and into the mountains was adventure enough. If you got to sheep country and found a ram that was icing on the cake. Now days in and out with a ram in a few days seems to be the norm. Better stop, am sounding like an old codger. Kindest Regards to all. Plan a hunting adventure now while you are able and hunts are available

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                  WA Mtnhunter, good to hear from you and I hope all is well. So far, this will be the first year in over seventy years I am not planning a big game hunt. Even while on Army active duty I snuck in at least a short hunting jaunt. I am 82 and I cannot hunt the way I like to, stalking tough country after worthy trophies. By Fall resolve may weaken, who knows. How is Beekeeper? Sure miss his contributions. Africa not the same for me. I keep running into checklist hunters who want no hassles and quick rewards. Adventure is avoided, just want to say they have been there. Asia in the old days, just getting there and into the mountains was adventure enough. If you got to sheep country and found a ram that was icing on the cake. Now days in and out with a ram in a few days seems to be the norm. Better stop, am sounding like an old codger. Kindest Regards to all. Plan a hunting adventure now while you are able and hunts are available
                  Great advice! Thanks for posting your experiences and perspectives on a lifetime of hunting.

Have you hunted in Eastern Europe and if so, how was the experience?

Please forgive me if I've asked that question of you before now.
                  Last edited by PigHunter; 06-08-2020, 03:45 PM.
                  Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Happy, I also managed to get back home and hunt Montana during my three-year Army stint, even when overseas in Korea. Shot an elk and at least one deer every year.

I agree entirely. Live the bucket list now. Don't bet on health or the hunting to last till retirement. The down side to living the dream is it is hard when the show is over. Every year I return to Montana with the dogs to hunt birds I always get choked up driving across the state line west of Williston. Because I know I will have to leave again. And I know this will be one less time I'll be returning.

Comment

PigHunter, I have not hunted Eastern Europe. I booked then canceled a Russian hunt many years ago. My personality is uncomfortable with most Russians. I mean no disrespect I am usually just uncomfortable with the life style. There are plenty of other place to venture. I have mentioned before I am not a checklist hunter. Evidenced by my taking more Cape buffalo and Elk than anyone I know. I love British but have never hunted England or Scotland, maybe I would feel uncomfortable wearing tweeds. I love hunting our robust, wonderful Rocky Mountains, plus Alaska, Mongolia’s sheep country looking down on the steppes. The various “Stans” Surrounded by the Pamirs Roof top of the World. And of course, my Africa continent every square inch of it, as long as I am camped in wild country far from civilization with animals prowling around my tent at night. The animals rule the night around a proper Safari camp.

Comment

PigHunter, I have not hunted Eastern Europe. I booked then canceled a Russian hunt many years ago. My personality is uncomfortable with most Russians. I mean no disrespect I am usually just uncomfortable with the life style. There are plenty of other place to venture. I have mentioned before I am not a checklist hunter. Evidenced by my taking more Cape buffalo and Elk than anyone I know. I love British but have never hunted England or Scotland, maybe I would feel uncomfortable wearing tweeds. I love hunting our robust, wonderful Rocky Mountains, plus Alaska, Mongolia’s sheep country looking down on the steppes. The various “Stans” Surrounded by the Pamirs Roof top of the World. And of course, my Africa continent every square inch of it, as long as I am camped in wild country far from civilization with animals prowling around my tent at night. The animals rule the night around a proper Safari camp.
                        Thank you for the response. I've been curious about the style of hunting in the Czech Republic and Hungary. Perhaps I should plan an African hunt first.
                        Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

PigHunter, you are welcome. It is my understanding Czech and Hungary like driven hunts especially for boar, they really stack them up. Obviously I am partial to Africa Safari. Either should be a fine trip. I feel Africa is rapidly changing, whereas Hungary will stay the same. Just my two cents. Might add with the uncertainty and risk of world travel suspect hunting trips may be less expensive than normal.
                          Last edited by Happy Myles; 06-08-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Greetings, Happy!

Sounds like you are doing well and sincerely hope that continues. I have scaled back on adventures this year due to the Chinavirus situation. Beekeeper is doing well and I just spoke to him yesterday. We touch base once a week or so. Getting his advice on an ongoing 7 x 57 Mauser rifle project of sorts. Del and 007 are doing well, also. Happy Trails

Comment

WAM, please give Del and 007 my regards. Best Wishes to all!

Comment

Ate the squirrels last night with a pal who had been hunting with me. He dips his in sauces, barbecue, honey mustard, sweet n sour(from McDonald's) & yum yum. It's not bad. Says he uses gravy like a dipping sauce sometimes as well. Starting to heat up around here & ticks really bad so I'm good till fall, I think. Took my 14 over 4 outings, all with my Ruger pistols. Didn't lose any wounded and only missed twice so I'm satisfied with them. Sorry, didn't take any pics of the food or the hunt this time so will just include standard shot of my Rugers. Took red dot off the 10" but went 3 for 3 with open sights so I'll leave it for now. Stay safe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad