Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What animals do you intend to hunt in the upcoming hunting seasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What animals do you intend to hunt in the upcoming hunting seasons?

I just applied for buck and doe antelope, and mule deer (buck) recently.
    I will also pick up some leftover doe whitetail permits like I did last year.
    I will pick a general elk permit in the future.
    I also plan to hunt blacktail deer with a friend, if the circumstances allow. Hopefully, after the first of the year, I can make a trip to Texas and hunt with some friends as well.

What hunting plans do you guys have in mind?

Weapons you intend to use?

I was scheduled to go back to Africa in August for waterbuck, black wildebeest, hartebeest, and another kudu. Maybe nyala and a better impala if time allowed. But due to pandemic the trip has been rescheduled for June next year. Just as well since I'm having trouble with hernia and they're only now finally opening the hospital to elective surgery. I should be ready for upland birds, elk, and deer in Montana by late October. I will hunt geese here for a month before leaving.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 05-30-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Made an awesome, 30 yard, offhand shot on a raging armadillo Wednesday evening about 8pm!
      He was full bore, left to right.
      I dialed the scope down to 3×. The heavy barreled, home assembled Anderson AM15 with 55 grain Federal soft point .223 Rem ammo performed exactly as advertised. (no trailing necessary) LOL!

No specifics for me Ernie.
      My hope is to chase fall turkeys in OK. Then, hopefully, put a little venison in the 'fridge in south Texas.
      No erotic, I mean EXOTIC... hunts for me unless something pops up on the farm. There are several exotic game ranches in south and central Texas. Axis, fallow, black buck, Egyptian oryx and nyala just to name a few. They are behind "high fence", but nature has a way and the fences aren't 100%.
      No telling WHAT may pop out next. Even elk.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        Made an awesome, 30 yard, offhand shot on a raging armadillo Wednesday evening about 8pm!
        He was full bore, left to right.
        I dialed the scope down to 3×. The heavy barreled, home assembled Anderson AM15 with 55 grain Federal soft point .223 Rem ammo performed exactly as advertised. (no trailing necessary) LOL!
        Good shot.
        You always need to ready for the Armadillo Apocalypse...Because when they charge in numbers

Comment

I may do a little local whitetail hunting just to get some nice venison but I've cancelled plans for any remote hunting due to the pandemic. I'm a pretty high risk candidate so I've got to avoid people who have no idea whether they are contagious or not until we have a vaccine. I already missed my annual big p-dog shoot and will miss antelope season too and that is one of my favorite. I like hunting mule deer but don't enjoy their taste well enough to kill them every year. I'm filling in the time with F-Class shooting at local matches and lots of long range practice which I enjoy.

Comment

I will probably just get a Ohio Doe this year. With either a Marlin .450 or S&W 29 .44mag.

Comment

Between now and September here in Alabama, I'll try a few hot weather pig hunts on public land. No bait, no dogs.

Starting late September, I'll hunt squirrels.

Starting in mid October, I'll hunt whitetail deer and pigs with archery equipment, compound and crossbow.

In early November, I'll be in Southwestern Kentucky for whitetail with a crossbow. This is a pay hunt, semi-guided. I'll go after turkey with a compound bow if I tag a buck early in the stay.

Mid November through early January will be hunting for whitetail and pigs in Alabama on public land. After that is small game until early March. Turkey season runs late March through April.

I'll need to decide where to go for a pay hunt in 2021. Maybe Ohio for gun deer season.

EDIT: Weapons
              > Compound bow
              > Crossbow
              > Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr and Winchester 74 in .22lr
              > Henry lever-action in .22 Mag
              > Remington 870 in 12 gauge
              > Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor
              > Handi-rifle in .357 Maximum (planning to get the .357 Mag modified)
              > Handi-Rifle in .45-70
              > AR-15 in .300 BLK
              > Remington 7400 in .30-06
              > Remington 788 in .308
              > CVA Electra muzzleloader in .50 cal with electronic ignition

I'd like to take a deer or pig with my .357 mag revolver, but it will need to be a close shot under good conditions.
              Last edited by PigHunter; 05-30-2020, 02:11 PM.
              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I will probably just get a Ohio Doe this year. With either a Marlin .450 or S&W 29 .44mag.
                If I had a vote, I would say...Your Model 29

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  If I hunt in Ohio in 2021, it will most likely be with my Handi-Rifle in .45-70

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Weapons
                    > Compound bow
                    > Crossbow
                    > Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr and Winchester 74 in .22lr
                    > Henry lever-action in .22 Mag
                    > Remington 870 in 12 gauge
                    > Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor
                    > Handi-rifle in .357 Maximum (planning to get the .357 Mag modified)
                    > Handi-Rifle in .45-70
                    > AR-15 in .300 BLK
                    > Remington 7400 in .30-06
                    > Remington 788 in .308
                    > CVA Electra muzzleloader in .50 cal with electronic ignition

I'd like to take a deer or pig with my .357 mag revolver, but it will need to be a close shot under good conditions.
                    Cool to see all the diversity of weapons!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

If I had a vote, I would say...Your Model 29
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	4x4 with  .44mag.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	734886My .44 locked and loaded on my ATV.
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 05-30-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	gun+fight+friday+007.jpg Views:	1 Size:	872.2 KB ID:	734892There was a contest to name the new Model 29. Classic Hunter was the winner. Click image for larger version  Name:	Mar;in 1894Mag  450 Marlin.JPG Views:	1 Size:	781.3 KB ID:	734893Marlin 1894M .450M
                        Last edited by jhjimbo; 05-30-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Nice group!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Cool to see all the diversity of weapons!
                            Thanks! I like variety. The problem is that that darn AR-15 ends up in my hands more than half the time.

If I go to Africa in 2021, I'll probably take that old Remington 788 in .308 Win as one of my two rifles for plains game. My best results through the years has been with that bolt-action.

The 6.5 Creedmoor functions as well and is more accurate, but I've only dropped two animals with it. One pig and one deer.

Comment

Fall turkey season with my CZ .22 Hornet or 20 gauge Mossberg Silver Reserve, Buck and doe seasons with my 300WSM during buck season and .308 for doe season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad