No announcement yet.

Hunter safety NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"... On another note I don’t like any law,restriction or requirement for firearms. It’s unAmerican. ..."

You go Vinny! I'm with you all the way.
    Start with GCA '34!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      I took the Hunter Ed course when it first was offered, I think it was 1956. I walked to the Armory with my .22 rifle on my shoulder. After classroom we had to show proficiency with the firearm on the range.
      In the '80's New Your mandated a Archery course. Went with my nephew to ALL day course. At the end we had to show proficiency with the bow at a 30 yd target. I was shooting my Bear Grizzly recurve. Endorsement is on my hunting license.
      I assume it is a Robin Hood logo ? 👍😀

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Favata View Post
        I’ve taken a few since the early 80’s.
        Whether it be for bow hunting, concealed carry, rifle hunting, whatever ever; they don’t hurt. Personally I could have done without them. I was taught firearm safety at a young age , and I was taught properly. Truth be told, as much as I could have done without them, it is probably good for many that would otherwise endanger others; and themselves. On another note I don’t like any law,restriction or requirement for firearms. It’s unAmerican.

Funny that back in the 80's plenty of States were having over 100 incidents a year with dozens of deaths and injuries.
        Having everyone take hunter ed class has made a dramatic difference in how much safer hunting has become.
        We rarely have a person tell us that they didn't learn something from taking the class.
        As well next to the youth being the age group the highest incident rate, next is the older hunter with 30 - 40 years experience.
        I have seen plenty of "properly" taught folks that can't show us how to cross a fence or obstacle or demonstrate good muzzle control.

Comment

Lol- I know what you mean. In the Catskills ( in the early 80s) I was supposed to be the only person hunting private property yet on two occasions shots hit a tree fairly close to me. I started hunting the Adirondacks more after that. But it’s hunting and bullets will fly.
          It is what it is. I have to say that encountering two monster alligators while hunting in Florida this past season, has got me more on alert than hunting the Catskills. 😂 lol
          You still have a higher risk of injury driving your car on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Favata View Post
            Lol- I know what you mean. In the Catskills ( in the early 80s) I was supposed to be the only person hunting private property yet on two occasions shots hit a tree fairly close to me. I started hunting the Adirondacks more after that. But it’s hunting and bullets will fly.
            It is what it is. I have to say that encountering two monster alligators while hunting in Florida this past season, has got me more on alert than hunting the Catskills. 😂 lol
            You still have a higher risk of injury driving your car on a daily basis.
            They don't just hand out drivers licenses either and look how that works, imagine if everyone you met on the road was headed out to hunt near you.

What part of the Catskills?

Comment

It was Dutchess County. Back in the day when Dutchess was still the boonies. Nowadays people commute from there into the city on a regular basis. Urban sprawl has hit lots of areas. Same thing with the Poconos in Pennsylvania.

Comment

When I first went to work for West Virginia DNR as a conservation Officer in 1971 we killed anywhere from 8 to 12 hunters during our two weeks of firearms deer season. After implementing our mandatory Hunter Education course in 1989 and the passing of the blaze orange law in the early 70's in 2006 we had our first deer season where no one was killed. I was one of the 6 officers assigned to implement the hunter education program. I have been teaching hunter education classes since 1971 and am still teaching classes even though I have been retired. I am now a Volunteer hunter education instructor. The hunter education and blaze orange has made the woods a whole lot safer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                  by rock rat
                  OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

"​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think...
                  Today, 09:35 PM
                • Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                  by rock rat
                  A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I...
                  07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
                • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                  by rock rat
                  CRM what you say makes a lot of sense, and the number of tests has doubled in 21 days as have the number of people testing positive. There's one more...
                  Today, 09:26 PM
                • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                  06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                • Reply to Either Way...
                  by fitch270
                  We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer....
                  Today, 09:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X