Last day ! Warning could be offensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last day ! Warning could be offensive

3 Years ago I had horrible deer season. Bow season I usually try and kill a doe early i didn’t see a deer all of bow season and gun season. The last day of gun season he walks out at 10:30 am. Lucky me!
    Last edited by Danbo; 02-19-2020, 08:45 PM.

It was a 9 pointer on public land of course! NO FOODPLOT
    Taken with 12 Gauge mossberg 500 with a rifle barrel and federal sabots at 70 yards. I dragged it out myself no tractor no nothing! CRED!!!!
    Last edited by Danbo; 02-14-2020, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
      It was a 9 pointer on public land of course! NO FOODPLOT
      Taken with 12 Gauge mossberg 500 with a rifle barrel and federal sabots at 70 yards. I dragged it out myself no tractor no nothing! CRED!!!!
      Danbo, that's a nice public land buck, congrats! My longest with a shotgun was only 50 yards, but that was a Remington 870 with 20-inch rifle-sighted barrel, improved cyl choke. It was November 28th, 1998 and the temp was in the low 70's. I'd spent the morning slowly moving south across a shallow wetland created by a beaver dam, trying to step on logs and clumps of grass to keep from sinking into the mud. Unfortunately, by the time I reached the other side, I was wet with sweat and muddy up to my knees. Once on dry land, I took off my snake boots to drain the water and wring out my socks.

Well, it was getting close to lunch and time for me to work my way west, parallel to the stream in order to meet up with my hunting buddy, 1/2 mile away. My method was to take about 6 careful steps and stop to look and listen for pigs. I'd figured there was no way I'd see a deer after all the noise made, smelling of sweat and mud. Well, about 30 minutes later I saw movement of an animal walking between me and the stream, travelling the same direction I was. So, I raised the shotgun, sighting through an opening in the thick undergrowth along the animal's path, safety off, finger on the trigger.

I thought I was about to see a large pig emerge, but to my surprise it was a deer with antlers! Blam! The buck dropped in his tracks and the shotgun slammed against my shoulder. I quickly racked another shell for a follow-up shot. But it wasn't needed.

I stepped the 50 paces over and found a dead 10-pointer with a broom-handle sized hole all the way through his chest. Yes sir! ... I radioed my buddy and he met me for dragging that deer to the logging road over a hill to the south. There was no way I wanted to drag it back across the beaver swamp / pond. He had a folding saw so we cut a sapling stick to tie across the antlers making it easier for both of us to drag the deer. Even so, it took almost two hours to reach the road, up and over that steep hill. I had to hitch-hike back around to my vehicle several road miles away.

All my public land deer are gotten out of the woods with just muscle power. One time I dragged a small one over a mile up and down hills and my legs almost quit working. A deer cart is a great help and now I wouldn't hunt public land without one.
      Last edited by PigHunter; 02-14-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Danbo, that's a nice public land buck, congrats! My longest with a shotgun was only 50 yards, but that was a Remington 870 with 20-inch rifle-sighted barrel, improved cyl choke. It was November 28th, 1998 and the temp was in the low 70's. I'd spent the morning slowly moving south across a shallow wetland created by a beaver dam, trying to step on logs and clumps of grass to keep from sinking into the mud. Unfortunately, by the time I reached the other side, I was wet with sweat and muddy up to my knees. Once on dry land, I took off my snake boots to drain the water and wring out my socks.

Well, it was getting close to lunch and time for me to work my way west, parallel to the stream in order to meet up with my hunting buddy, 1/2 mile away. My method was to take about 6 careful steps and stop to look and listen for pigs. I'd figured there was no way I'd see a deer after all the noise made, smelling of sweat and mud. Well, about 30 minutes later I saw movement of an animal walking between me and the stream, travelling the same direction I was. So, I raised the shotgun, sighting through an opening in the thick undergrowth along the animal's path, safety off, finger on the trigger.

I thought I was about to see a large pig emerge, but to my surprise it was a deer with antlers! Blam! The buck dropped in his tracks and the shotgun slammed against my shoulder. I quickly racked another shell for a follow-up shot. But it wasn't needed.

I stepped the 50 paces over and found a dead 10-pointer with a broom-handle sized hole all the way through his chest. Yes sir! ... I radioed my buddy and he met me for dragging that deer to the logging road over a hill to the south. There was no way I wanted to drag it back across the beaver swamp / pond. He had a folding saw so we cut a sapling stick to tie across the antlers making it easier for both of us to drag the deer. Even so, it took almost two hours to reach the road, up and over that steep hill. I had to hitch-hike back around to my vehicle several road miles away.

All my public land deer are gotten out of the woods with just muscle power. One time I dragged a small one over a mile up and down hills and my legs almost quit working. A deer cart is a great help and now I wouldn't hunt public land without one.
        Thanks pig hunter . I consider the work of getting animal out as part of the fun. However as I age I will get a cart.

Comment

Thanks pig hunter . I consider the work of getting animal out as part of the fun. However as I age I will get a cart.
          Carts are a big help. After that 1998 hunt, I made one from aluminum angle and a couple of bicycle tires. For years it worked ok but the store-bought carts I've used are better and are easier to fold for transport.

Here's a public land 9-point I got 3 years ago. Of course I was hunting alone and the cart made a world of difference. I'm stronger than most men but will use mechanical help when possible to get a deer out of the woods. Around my house I just use a wheelbarrow to retrieve deer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9 Point 2016_12_30 on cart r.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	947.6 KB
ID:	724979

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Carts are a big help. After that 1998 hunt, I made one from aluminum angle and a couple of bicycle tires. For years it worked ok but the store-bought carts I've used are better and are easier to fold for transport.

Here's a public land 9-point I got 3 years ago. Of course I was hunting alone and the cart made a world of difference. I'm stronger than most men but will use mechanical help when possible to get a deer out of the woods. Around my house I just use a wheelbarrow to retrieve deer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9 Point 2016_12_30 on cart r.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	947.6 KB
ID:	724979
            Nice buck ! Did you get him in Alabama?

Comment

Thanks. Yep, in my favorite Alabama WMA. Was just at sunrise, hunting from the ground. About a 40 yard shot with a Remington 788 in .308, factory loaded 150 gr CoreLokt

Comment

I hope I get to shoot another one some day!😥

Comment

You will! Get that shoulder heeled up

Comment

You will! Get that shoulder heeled up
                    Danbo, just out of sheer cussedness, I took my pet AR15 chambered 6.8mm Rem SPC II "out behind the barn", so to speak.
                    I tentatively shot it left handed. Just to get a feel for the recoil.
                    Not bad!
                    I gritted my teeth, put it to my right shoulder, snuggled it up and squeezed off a round!
                    Oooh-Yaaa!!!
                    Five plus or so rounds to check 3F and scope? Fine!
                    I don't think 10 to 20 rounds off a bench would be too wise!
                    With turkey season (Apr 6th) right around the corner, I also took a couple of 16's.
                    A Rem "Sportsman" and a Win M12.
                    One round off the left shoulder and any chance of shooting a turkey right handed "flew" out the window! Pun intended!
                    I forget just how snappy a 16 can get.
                    They aren't shoulder pounders by any means, but you gotta respect their recoil.

Got some more testing to do, but the M12 gets the nod opening day.
                    The Rem if I get the opportunity.

Thanks Danbo, that was just the goad I needed!
                    Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-14-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Your welcome Fb get it done!

Comment

Here is another pic of last day buck

Comment

When I first read it, "The last day of gun season he walks out at 1030."
                          I didn't think in time...I thought in yards/distance.
                          I was thinking, Wow, a 1030 yard kill...Then I read your next post
                          Glad you got it done!

Comment

I would never shoot that far!
                            Sorry I didn't catch that mistake I fixed the time. Thanks

Comment

I would never shoot that far!
                              Sorry I didn't catch that mistake I fixed the time. Thanks
                              No problem... Even more amazing with a slug shotgun

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad