Great News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great News

I just received word that I will be going on a wounded warrior and disabled Law Enforcement Officer hog hunt in the next month or so. I was also told that I will be going on a wounded warrior and disabled Law Enforcement Officer spring turkey hunt here during the West Virginia spring gobbler season in April and May. My buddy went to New York on a hunt last year and this year he wants to include me. He said the people were great to the servicemen and law enforcement officers.

Congrats sarge01!
    Sounds like a blast!
    Good luck & good hunting!

Comment

Great news Sarge, I hope you have a really good time.

Comment

I am a disabled US military veteran (20%). The wounded warrior program is a great thing. It is doubtless a complicated program to operate and I appreciate the efforts of all involved who make it work, particularly the landowners who donate hunting access. I am also a former policeman and emergency medical tech. Perhaps I could utilize this program ... but why would I? Would be better if I found some way to contribute rather than taking advantage of it and pushing aside another vet who needs it more than me.

Comment

Honker - Perhaps you should think of your participation as a service to the sponsors.
          It makes them feel good.
          Same with taking a free meal on Veterans Day.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
            Honker - Perhaps you should think of your participation as a service to the sponsors.
            It makes them feel good.
            Same with taking a free meal on Veterans Day.
            I am not crippled up (yet) and I'm extremely experienced and capable of hunting on my own. It would be rather farcical for me to take advantage of the program. If the sponsors ever found out some phoney was hunting their property just to make them feel good, well, I don't think that would go over very well. The purpose of wounded warriors is to help vets who are in a tough way, not make donors feel good about themselves.

Comment

Honker - The "feel good" effect is a prime motivating factor behind all charitable movements (with the possible exception of the Clinton Foundation and the Trump Foundation).
              And when a person holds a door open for me, I accept their kindness and thank them.
              Last edited by 99explorer; 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                Honker - The "feel good" effect is a prime motivating factor behind all charitable movements (with the possible exception of the Clinton Foundation and the Trump Foundation).
                And when a person holds a door open for me, I accept their kindness and thank them.
                Even if by doing so you are blocking the door for someone else in a wheelchair? I guess we were raised differently. Charity is to help those who are in need, not for the benefit of making those who donate feel good about themselves. I am not interested in helping "motivate" donations from people like that. I give a VERY substantial amount to charity, especially my church. No one but me and my tax accountant knows the dollar amount.

Comment

Good deal, Sarge! I hope you have a great experience on the hunt. Happy Trails

Comment

Charity is a mutually beneficial concept.
                    I feel good when I make a contribution to the Disabled American Veterans because I am thankful that I am not among them. I came through with all my arms and legs,and I take pity on those who were not so lucky.
                    I accepted free hearing aids from the VA because I know that prolonged exposure to gunfire without hearing protection must have contributed to my hearing loss. And I was not taking them away from someone more deserving.

Comment

When I was a young lad in my early twenties, a lady up the block offered me her deceased husband's nightstick (he had been a beat cop on the NYPD).
                      I handled it, but was disappointed that it was so light in weight. I declined the offer.
                      I regret that decision to this day because it was a great opportunity to make the lady feel good at no inconvenience to myself.
                      That may be a difficult concept for some of us to grasp.
                      Last edited by 99explorer; 01-15-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad