Season ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    Got-dammit Mtnhunter, that's not news I'm keen to hear. Keep at it man, and have a blessed Christmas. Slàinte Mhath, and RTR!
    Thanks, ‘Flyer

I still have the 25 yo Macallan to finish! LOL!

Comment

To All,
      Thanks for the prayers and well wishes!
      Happy Trails, WAM

Comment

Management for years ahead must be good words to hear WAM. Best of good happenings for you, your attitude sounds great !!

Comment

Wishing you health today WAM.

Saw some deer today and couldn't figure how I spooked them at hundreds of yards away. Then I saw them being harassed by 3 coyotes. We went down and I clapped my hands, two took off, the deer started chasing the third, then I saw them up higher and I wasn't sure who was chasing who. Cut a couple bull tracks from last night that were just walking through, fresh snow on top of old but still walkable. Still with temps in the 20s, good hunting weather.

Comment

WAM, keep moving and never give up. Best wishes. Jim

Comment

Wednesday's forecast is to be 27 at sunrise and then rising to the upper 40's, sunny with an 8 mph north wind. That's great weather for a blind I've got prepared on WMA land in an small valley. So I'm taking a vacation day to hunt. It will be buck only with a minimum of three points on at least one side. I'll probably take the AR in .300 BLK with 110 grain handloads. Shooting distances in that area are typically 80 yards or less.

Comment

PH, NY is making an effort to have hunters let young bucks go. They have it outlined in their regulations book. Reason given is the mature bucks with more developed antlers will be more prevalent. They have been doing this for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  WAM, keep moving and never give up. Best wishes. Jim
                  Thanks, Jim!

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
                    Wishing you health today WAM.

Saw some deer today and couldn't figure how I spooked them at hundreds of yards away. Then I saw them being harassed by 3 coyotes. We went down and I clapped my hands, two took off, the deer started chasing the third, then I saw them up higher and I wasn't sure who was chasing who. Cut a couple bull tracks from last night that were just walking through, fresh snow on top of old but still walkable. Still with temps in the 20s, good hunting weather.
                    Thanks, RR.

My neighbor text me today and said coyote tracks were everywhere in the deer tracks by the cabin and on his place. Going over Thursday and doing a little thinning if I can get on them. Cheers

Comment

WA Mountainhunter sorry and concerned about your cancer issues. Had my colorectal cancer issues a decade or so ago and am still around causing mischief as evidenced by recent successful few weeks in various parts of Africa. Four Cape buffalo and several head of plains game, all efficiently dispatched. Right now am down with pneumonia but on the mend for Holidays. Please have a Merry Christmas, Kindest Regards and good luck with your health!

Comment

Thought I should add this photo of last day hunting.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-12-12 last day.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	719780
                        As you can see, the weather was miserable early in the day. Overcast, light wind, and very cold. That's Ellie working the spot at my "honey hole" where I shot my first bird there with her on the way home last year. We didn't kick up anything this day though. First time I didn't shoot a bird at this place ... or at least see one. The machine behind Ellie appears to be an early model self propelled mobile threshing machine. It has (I think) a stook gathering chute on the front. Sheaves of wheat were bound together with a binder machine and hand stacked in stooks in the fields. A horse drawn "stook picker" machine picked them up and dumped them in wagons to be hauled to the stationary steam powered threshing machines. This machine was driven down the rows, gathered the stooks (or perhaps only the sheeves?), threshed them, and dumped the grain in a wagon that followed along. No doubt it was very short-lived technology as I have seen an early combine on another nearby property that looked to be about the same vintage.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Last bird 2016b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.8 KB ID:	719781
                        Binder machines were quite flimsy and notorious for breaking down (rare to find one in working order today). Combine technology eliminated mowers and binders (hence the name - they combined mowing and threshing) which is why I was very surprised to see this contraption. A real odd one. I'm thinking the primitive internal combustion engines in the early self-propelled threshers simply didn't have the power to also cut the grain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                          Thought I should add this photo of last day hunting.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	2019-12-12 last day.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	719780
                          As you can see, the weather was miserable early in the day. Overcast, light wind, and very cold. That's Ellie working the spot at my "honey hole" where I shot my first bird there with her on the way home last year. We didn't kick up anything this day though. First time I didn't shoot a bird at this place ... or at least see one. The machine behind Ellie appears to be an early model self propelled mobile threshing machine. It has (I think) a stook gathering chute on the front. Sheaves of wheat were bound together with a binder machine and hand stacked in stooks in the fields. A horse drawn "stook picker" machine picked them up and dumped them in wagons to be hauled to the stationary steam powered threshing machines. This machine was driven down the rows, gathered the stooks (or perhaps only the sheeves?), threshed them, and dumped the grain in a wagon that followed along. No doubt it was very short-lived technology as I have seen an early combine on another nearby property that looked to be about the same vintage.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	Last bird 2016b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.8 KB ID:	719781
                          Binder machines were quite flimsy and notorious for breaking down (rare to find one in working order today). Combine technology eliminated mowers and binders (hence the name - they combined mowing and threshing) which is why I was very surprised to see this contraption. A real odd one. I'm thinking the primitive internal combustion engines in the early self-propelled threshers simply didn't have the power to also cut the grain.
                          Thanks for the pictures and stories Honker. Sadly, that is the only way I can see pheasants or be connected with the hunting of these fine game birds anymore. Have not seen a ringneck in my part of Michigan in over 10 years. There is no longer habitat for them in this farming area, all is plowed, planted, no longer any set aside.......terrible happenings !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                            WA Mountainhunter sorry and concerned about your cancer issues. Had my colorectal cancer issues a decade or so ago and am still around causing mischief as evidenced by recent successful few weeks in various parts of Africa. Four Cape buffalo and several head of plains game, all efficiently dispatched. Right now am down with pneumonia but on the mend for Holidays. Please have a Merry Christmas, Kindest Regards and good luck with your health!
                            Thanks, Happy! I’m still kicking and causing trouble everywhere I go! Right now I’m in the middle of a house building project, but the wife says “it’s the cabin”. Sheesh, bigger than any house we lived in the first 23 years.

Take care of yourself with pneumonia. That can be a show-stopper. Happy Trails!

Comment

Saw a bunch of these guys today. New snow, cold temps. Three old bulls, one middle aged, all with 6 points but the age shows in the face. Cow tag in pocket, no cows to be seen. Four point deer walked away and settled down under a ponderosa with just his rack,ears, and eyes showing blending in with the branches, if I hadn't of seen him walk over I'd never have spotted him in a million years. Not season's end for another month for me. I hope those old bulls make it through too, looks to be cold one this year, the snow seems to be lasting.

Comment

Interesting photo Rock Rat.

I shot a 2nd doe for the season on Friday morning. This time with a suppressed.300 Blackout, 190gr subsonic, at 45 yards offhand unsupported. It was a neck shot and dropped the deer right there. Now to try for a buck

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad