Season ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAM
    I am very sorry to hear about your health concerns. Our prayers are with you.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
      I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run, pissing and moaning all the way! Happy Trails
      Pushing the 7 decades (11 months shy!) myself. Had my own scares with the "Big C", but so far, everything has come back clean.

My problems are all skeletal.
      Structural problems exacerbate other problems.
      Weigh loss is dietary only.
      Lack of exercise is hard on lungs, hypertension and heart plus add to diabetes chances.

This place is just like a beaver pond! Just one "dam" thing after another! LOL!

Know our prayers are with you!

Comment

11:30 p.m. and I just walked in the door of my little house in Canada. Plan was to pack up at motel and hunt my honey hole Thursday morning for last two roosters to fill my possession limit. I usually leave my brother's place with six roosters in the cooler and pick up three more on the way home. Puppy set me up and I shot one of them in snow storm the night before at another new spot on the refuge but it was too windy to go back there again. The honey hole was a long drive about fifteen miles on a road that is ordinarily pretty rough. The deer hunters really tore it up bad during that last very muddy weekend of season so it took a LOT longer to get back there. Ruts were very deep and frozen hard as concrete. Never saw a pheasant. First time I've drawn a blank in that spot. Not a total wash though as my Jimmy kicked up three bunches of sage grouse just as I was parking. Must have been close to a hundred birds altogether. First sage hens I've seen in thirty years. Not sure if season was still open but I have no interest in shooting them. They taste like crap, ugly as sin, and nearly endangered species. As I was leaving the wind quit and it started snowing huge soft flakes the size of teaspoons (literally). Too pretty to leave so I drove back to the federal refuge to give Puppy a last workout. She had trouble with snow between her toes so I put her away and let Ellie out again. Took all day but we finally got one rooster. Ellie made an excellent retrieve in thick cattails. I finally left for home at 6:00 p.m., driving smack into deep freeze and blizzard in North Dakota. It worked out well though because the nasty weather blew the oil patch tender crews off the road so it was mostly clear sailing with little traffic during the night. Really screwed up at Rugby though. Gassed up and got back on the freeway in the dark with poor visibility. An hour later I found myself entering Minot ... again! No exits between it and Rugby so I had no clue I was going the wrong way till I saw the airbase exit. That mistake cost me two hours. No napping along the way this year. Too cold to stop. At one point I pulled into a little town thinking I might try to sleep for a bit. Then I noticed it was Leeds, ND. You may recall last year I barfed on the street in front of the bar on a Sunday morning when sick with food poisoning. Decided against stopping there this year in case someone remembered the vehicle. "Not that Canadian drunk again!" Much of ND was crossed driving Highway 2 at only 45 mph and in 4x4 a few times. I had loaded the hitch rack up heavy with clothing box and meat cooler. The weight back there really improved traction in two wheel drive. Must get Ellie's bird out of roof carrier to thaw so I can clean it. Frozen hard as a brick.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 12-13-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

To be comfortable last night, I had to put on a jacket and baseball cap when going to the local Walmart. It was in the 50's with a slight breeze...

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            To be comfortable last night, I had to put on a jacket and baseball cap when going to the local Walmart. It was in the 50's with a slight breeze...
            Yeah! I'm hating me some south Texas. Low yesterday was 45°.
            Today's high should be in the 80's.
            😀oh darn.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Yeah, you and Bubba sure know how to make friends and impress people in the non-warm climates with your rubbing it in words of warmth, lol ! We here in Mich. have been enjoying sunbathing in the driveway all week, there how about that ?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

And I bet you thought I was kidding about my sunbathing statement ! You babies in the south have no idea how tough we are lol !

Comment

Kid text'd me, on shopping trip (charter)..........said deer are out right now.
                  Think it around 40 degrees.
                  Possible rain/snow tomorrow, so dunno if that's making for increased activity or what.
                  Might give it a whirl tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

And I bet you thought I was kidding about my sunbathing statement ! You babies in the south have no idea how tough we are lol !
                    Too tough for me amigo!
                    I like women hot blooded, not ice cold! LOL!

Comment

Bubba, you just need to know how to warm them up, that’s part of the enjoyment. What comes too easy has no fulfillment !!

Comment

Bubba, you just need to know how to warm them up, that’s part of the enjoyment. What comes too easy has no fulfillment !!
                        Old joke!

Traveling salesman stops at farmers house overnight. Snowdrifts, ice, the whole nine yards.
                        Farmer sends his teen age, Marilynn Monroe double daughter outside barefoot to get firewood.
                        Salesman: "Don't you think she needs some shoes?"
                        Farmer: "If her a$$ ain't hot enough to keep her feet warm....!"

Comment

Texas women don't just talk slow and sweet.....!

Comment

LOL! I concede the contest, you win and can have the North all to yourselves

Comment

WAM: So cancer is back? Give 'er hell. I'll be thinking of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                                WAM: So cancer is back? Give 'er hell. I'll be thinking of you.
                                Yes, but I’m not giving up or slowing down. Docs say they can manage it for years ahead. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad