Season ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season ends

On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After arriving I discovered the wheel bearing was going out in rear differential of my Jimmy. Took most of the week to fix it (waiting for parts mostly). Then as I backed out of my brother's shop the rear brake line blew. Two more days wrestling with that mess. Poor dogs were stuck in a camper trailer all day every day for a week. Stopped at the bird refuge late tonight on my way east to Ontario. Miserable weather ... again. Snowy and drifting. Dogs were haywire so I put Ellie back in the vehicle and hunted Puppy solo. We found a few birds but very spooky. She finally set me up just before dark and I missed three easy shots at a rooster. Bleh! I forgot the Light Twelve shoots low. A few minutes later Puppy spooked another rooster deep in the Russian olive grove. He flew out straight over me and I folded him. As fast as I had it stuffed in the game bag she pushed up two more. First one went the opposite direction but second bird again flew over me headed for the big tulie patch across the road. I dumped him. That was enough. Thankfully someone with a bigger rig drove down the road past my Jimmy at some point when Puppy and I were working the big tulie patch over the hill. Don't think I could have broke through the drifts if the other guys hadn't already softened them up. The dogs and I are holed up in a podunky motel twenty miles down the road. Tomorrow morning I'll check my last honey hole for final two birds to fill possession. I'll hunt Ellie.

Been a pretty good year. Shot eight fine animals in Africa and about twenty-five honkers after returning to Ontario. My daughter had trouble with her pregnancy and that tied me up some. Arrived late to Montana at the end of October and initially did well bird hunting. Actually took five daily limits this year even though pheasants were hard to find and weather was horrible. Until tonight I rarely missed when I had a shot. That made the difference. Also Puppy was fantastic. She made it easy. Ellie didn't see much action because she was at the vets' twice for stitches to close nasty wire cuts. As of tonight I have taken 33 roosters and several sharptail grouse. No Huns again this year. Just not enough of them around to warrant shooting. Also killed a very nice mule deer buck. A running shot at about sixty yards through the heart.

Every year I grieve a little harder when season ends. I guess it's because I know I'm getting closer to that final trip home. Next summer I'll return from Africa just in time for my fiftieth high school class reunion. Been hunting for fifty-five years. It's been a helluva run.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 12-11-2019, 12:51 AM.

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Every year I grieve a little harder when season ends. I guess it's because I know I'm getting closer to that final trip home. Next summer I'll return from Africa just in time for my fiftieth high school class reunion. Been hunting for fifty-five years. It's been a helluva run.
    Congrats on the good year. Deer season runs to Feb. 10th here and small game until early March. Hopefully I'll be able to spend adequate time in the field. So far, I've got a nice whitetail doe in the freezer.

As far as grieving the season's end, I actually never do that. All good things come to an end eventually, and it's on to the next adventure. Perhaps you need a lady friend.
    Last edited by PigHunter; 12-11-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Congrats on the good year. Deer season runs to Feb. 10th here and small game until early March. Hopefully I'll be able to spend adequate time in the field. So far, I've got a nice whitetail doe in the freezer.

As far as grieving the season's end, I actually never do that. All good things come to an end eventually, and it's on to the next adventure. Perhaps you need a lady friend.
      When we are young and courting the expectation is that a couple will shape the adventure ahead of them of building a life together. At my age the shaping is done. It would be unfair to expect someone to fit in. Anyway, I don't have much to offer but a sack of wrinkles and prostrate the size of a football. The thick hair growing out of my nose and ears is also not much of an attractant. Got old and it sucks. But it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Well, there is all that. Unfortunately, all the men in my family get prostate cancer by the time they reach 70. So, I'm trying to use it as much as I can until then.

OHH, I'm just 7 years younger but stay groomed. Here's a product that could help you with some of that hair. I've got one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Nose-Hair-Tri...ir%2Caps%2C370

Can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear ... but I guess it would look better with the hair removed. I have a trimmer but it doesn't work great. Thanks for that tip. Might make a good stocking stuffer idea.

Comment

Safe travels OHH, and well done keeping after it. I’ve known a number of guys that gave up too soon and others that didn’t want to but had no choice.

Comment

Never been to a HS reunion.
            Don't care.
            Got a few more deer and coyotes to kill before I quit.
            Life aint what I thought it'd be.
            Old fat and achy, at least I have the "excuses" for my disposition (which has been the same since I can remember).
            Coworker called me the Grinch yesterday. I don't and never have done the secret santa crap.
            He said I'm not a team player.
            I congratulated him on being observant

He's a good dude and was just funnin'.
            I don't just play the grouch on the web, it's my job in real life too (call it the curse of being observant).
            The more ya know, the more ya get p*ssed off.

I knew when I dropped my buck 2nd day of gun I was screwed.
            The meat is actually decent for his size (yield and quality).
            That's nice.
            Getting a euro mount of the skull. Nice too.

But I gotta wait another yr to go after em.
            And that sucks.

No reinforced paper tags like the old days, and the last day of season burn of unfilled in the fireplace (with a couple fingers of bourbon).
            Nope.

The ritual is gone.

Now it's just the suck of slogging through another yr of work, dealing with idiots..........until the maples turn yellow and the recurve gets into the woods. That sets the clock. Ticking down until gun season. Two weeks of that and the woods is grey, deer activity drops way off..............everything seems dead.

Its over.

Used to MZ hunt late, and bowhunt late...........but in a more dynamic area. The spots we hunt now (private and public).......after gun season are damn near worthless.

I need to find a hot widow with 200 acres of good deer ground.
            Take one for the team.

Hey, got buds that need a place to hunt

Comment

I need a better truck, a camper and out of state tags.
              Need more than one buck a year.
              Unfortunately a job change some time back really slammed me on vac time.
              If at my old job I'd have the time and money to do a couple of hunts a yr.

The screwing that keeps on screwing.

Spring will have me doing a lot of stuff to the house. Might be able to head out for turkey if I get things done in time. Have not gone in a few years. Can't get excited about it.

My mind is on bowhunting for a buck (can't til October 2020) and rifles/scopes purchases.

Comment

We did get snow this morning. Proly gone by weekend. 40's Sat.
                Bowhunt or break out the 20 ga and pop a couple bunnies?

Comment

I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run, pissing and moaning all the way! Happy Trails

Comment

Got-dammit Mtnhunter, that's not news I'm keen to hear. Keep at it man, and have a blessed Christmas. Slàinte Mhath, and RTR!

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                      I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run, pissing and moaning all the way! Happy Trails
                      WAM, sorry to hear you've got that battle going on. Wishing you the best.

Comment

Bummed to read this WAM, hoping they caught it early. Best to you as well sir.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          Safe travels OHH, and well done keeping after it. I’ve known a number of guys that gave up too soon and others that didn’t want to but had no choice.
                          Yeah, I'm fighting it, but sometimes, fecal matter occurs! LOL!

Woke up yesterday morning in SW Oklahoma.
                          This morning, I wake up DEEP in south Texas! (down near Kingsville!)
                          A 550 mile drive from daylight to dark!
                          Twelve miles from home to the Oklahoma/Texas border. FIVE HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT through the heart of the Texas population (Austin to San Antonio) until we reach George West, Texas! From there, we slog through the darkness, ever alert for deer, pigs, loose cattle, oil field trucks, illegal aliens, javelina, etc, etc.......
                          Of all things, my freakin' feet are killing me this morning!!! I spent all day on my butt!

I can literally deer hunt in the front yard! LOL!
                          Youngest says, "Go for it, dad."
                          Now I just need to figure out the turkeys.

But you're right pighunter!
                          No use crying, it's already to wet to plow.

Comment

WAM, good vibes your way man.
                            my youngest gets a biopsy tomorrow.

Worked w nasty stuff at my old job. Lots of coworkers get the bad news. And many make it through

In fact saw a bud last night thats well past the 10 yr mark.

Comment

BTW! Honk! Safe travels!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Five Senators
                                by 99explorer
                                BHR - Guilt has already been established.
                                The only question before the Senate is whether the president's conduct is serious enough to warrant removal
                                Today, 12:49 AM
                              • Five Senators
                                by jhjimbo
                                The game plan of the DEMS is to get the 5 Senators who are up for election in Nov, to break with the Conservatives and join the DEMS in voting for impeachment....
                                Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                              • Reply to Hope it's still OK to post hunting topics
                                by 99explorer
                                Buckhunter - Welcome back. Glad you kept trying.
                                Today, 12:39 AM
                              • Hope it's still OK to post hunting topics
                                by Amflyer

Took the pup out for a hunt on public land. Late-season public hunts stink around here, so I wasn't hopeful. But took along the camera and...
                                01-21-2020, 02:16 PM
                              • Reply to Ponder This
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                As far as the chinks are concerned, the US has put itself into a very dangerous position with it’s association with that POS country. I would not trust...
                                Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X