No announcement yet.

High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid I shot my Mod. '94 Winchester that way and got real good at it - that was when shells were around $2.00 a box.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      WAM, That's not nice. I know several deer hunters who use see-thru very, very successfully. You could not pry them away from them. I have see-thru all steel rings and base on my .340Wby Mk V and they work great down under 100yds, over 100 there is the Burris up to 12X.
      I’ve never been accused of being nice. OK.... a Hillary T-shirt.

Comment

WAM, These are not the typical see-thru rings. The hole is round and just enough to line up the sights. Very little eye movement and no change in cheek weld to go from scope to iron sights. I am happy with them and have become quite Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherby 340.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	719255 proficient using them. Jim

Comment

See through mounts destroy every aspect of shooting a scoped rifle accurately and proficiently ! I feel they are the most useless product ever made. Shoot with a scope or don’t ! It is clearly overthinking a issue that is not a problem anymore, if it ever was one ! Every rifle I see with one of these setups irritates the sh;t out of me.

Comment

The guy that has see thru scope mounts probably wears a belt, suspenders and garters on his socks.

Comment

Don't be so sensitive Jimbo, WAM thinks my Mossberg 835 is a POS too. I'm happy with it and have been proficient killing turkeys, but can't say he's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Don't be so sensitive Jimbo, WAM thinks my Mossberg 835 is a POS too. I'm happy with it and have been proficient killing turkeys, but can't say he's wrong.
                Not a fan of them either, but only because they are so light for 3-1/2". They say the overboring takes care of that and they do pattern well,but shooting them 3 times fast is a punishment I've done and I'll pass on repeating. There are softer ways to do 3-1/2" loads.(maybe not cheaper)

Comment

I grew up in an age (1950's) when the Rem M870 was relatively new and the Win M12 was dying a slow death.
                  All rifles came with iron sights and a factory "drilled & tapped" rifle was an anomaly, not the norm.
                  Scopes were as scarce as .30-30's and .30-06's were common. A 4× Lyman Alaskan, Kohlmorgan or Weaver were the cat's meow.

Most hunters were Great Depression survivors. You didn't spend one red cent that wasn't absolutely necessary.....!
                  Mossberg and Federal ammo was "cheap" and abundant.....and they killed game.

I knew quite a few of those old timers.
                  I can't remember any game they took that complained about the price of the firearm or ammo that did the trick.

Comment

The way I see it, every rig is a mans pride and joy, just like his kids, even if they have the FLK syndrome.

Comment

We each have our own preferences but I prefer a 30-30 for walking dense brush because it is small, sleek and has no scope to catch on vines, branches and brush. Yet it will be quick to draw up for a shot almost all the time.

If you don't do a lot of that type of stalking, then go ahead and put a low magnification scope on it with low mounts. I've shot several deer at 1.5 or 2x and have not had any trouble picking up even close range running deer quickly. I'd suggest a small, slim low magnification scope with low mounts so it is still easy to drag through the brush and you have a quick comfortable cheek weld.

I don't like the high see through mounts because they hold the scope too high for my liking. They also make the sleek 336 catch on every rose vine in the timber.

I'd say, get the right scope and use it for sighting or skip the scope and use the iron sights depending on your hunting style.

Comment

Mossberg shotguns and the see-through rings you see at box stores have issues already mentioned but smoke ‘em if you got ‘em!

I’ve seen Mossbergs suffer many failures: split forearms, cracked barrels, swelled barrels launching a choke tube down range, and a host of spring problems. Hey, I even have a 500 as a loaner. Some other brands are crap also. Happy Trails

Comment

I had an 835. Older one. It worked fine.
                          But it was a Mossberg.
                          I hate a thick wrist on a shotgun.
                          Read that the new bismuth #2 in 3 inch was superior to 3.5" BBB steel.
                          Bought an 1100 Magnum and yup, it was.
                          Bye bye Mossberg.
                          $$$$ for the new shells vs the old, but running an 1100 and extending my range, w quick kills...........it was a bargain.
                          Only good thing I have to say about Mossberg, their 500 smoothbores were THE shotguns to have back in the old slug gun days. They shot very well, putting any Big Green rig I tried to absolute shame.

Comment

Honestly, I would not feel handicapped running a smooth bore shotgun for deer out to 125 yards or so. If I had to, it'd be the green/black camo old M500 w 24" rifle sighted bbl.
                            But I'd mount a scope and get an offset safety, add cheek riser.

Recoil is hefty. But man, it was a deer killin' machine the one I had.
                            Took my first deer (8 pt at 77 yards) w a Regal series smoothbore 500. Paid $215 for it new.
                            Think around '86.
                            Camo synth was used, bought from guy at work for 125 bucks.
                            Gave the Regal away as a gift.
                            Don't remember what I did w the camo one.......sold? Traded? No clue.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad