High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin

I've seen other threads and comments about putting see through or high rise mounts on a marlin 336 30/30. I understand that these mounts make for a change in where your cheek rest is and, I also understand a low powered scope would do well. But, here is my dilemma. I have been having a ton of fun shooting the leverRevelution ammo through my marlin and 200 yards it is sighted in for. (I have also shot easily in the kill zone at 300 yards also.) My problem is 2 different properties I hunt regularly have both wide open areas along with heavy brush areas. In the past I would simply take 2 guns with me. I would hunt with one (my 308) in one area and my 30/30 obviously in the heavy brush areas. One in morning, break for lunch, the other in the afternoon. Now that this 30/30 is capable of much longer shots I have thought possibly of taking only one rifle with me. Both of these properties are hilly and the farthest shot I would be taking would be between 200 and 250 yds. It saves the idea of leaving a gun in my unattended truck for hours on end. Any suggestions of the viability of doing this? I've thought of actually making a removable cheek pad that would make up the difference when using the much higher than normal scope.

Kind of a no brainer to me. Leave the "thutty thutty" at home.
    Your .308 Win with 150 grain bullets will cover every situation you've described.
    A variable powered scope like a 2×7 or a 3×9 would suffice.

Some folks like "see thru" mounts.
    I would go with Leopold's 1.5-4×20 instead.

Comment

Like FIRSTBUBBA says. Your situation is why the 2x7 or 1x4 variable scope was invented. Try one, I think you'll be happy

Comment

For out to 300 yards I'd lean towards a 2x7 in conventional mounts as well. Lever guns are best kept trim for easy carry and fast handling.

Comment

I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a factory installed 3X9 and it is a tack driver with Hornady LeveRvolution ammo to 150yds - farthest I have shot it so far. Your plan sounds good to me, just lock the gun in the truck. My scope is in low rings I think because I do not need to add anything to the top of the stock. Another possibility for close in heavy brush is a red dot - very fast to operate. Here are some pic. of my 30-30. On second th Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	718870Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3206.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	718871Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	718872 ought they look like medium rings and a 32mm objective. Jim
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-28-2019, 12:15 AM.

Comment

To quote David Petzal not accurately but you get the idea. “ see thru scope Mounts are an afront on everything for accurate marksmanship”. Save your self the trouble and ammo. If I were ponder to such a venture I would probably get a good 1-6 or 1-8 with an illuminated recticle. It serves as a red dot on 1x. Then you also have a tacticool rifle as well.
            Last edited by Milldawg; 11-28-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

See through rings.............I put those right with Obama T shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                See through rings.............I put those right with Obama T shirts.
                Ditto. Both are really a POS.

Comment

WAM, That's not nice. I know several deer hunters who use see-thru very, very successfully. You could not pry them away from them. I have see-thru all steel rings and base on my .340Wby Mk V and they work great down under 100yds, over 100 there is the Burris up to 12X.

Comment

A lot of deer hunters use see through rings.
                    Riflemen that deer hunt do not.

Comment

Real riflemen don't use scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        Real riflemen don't use scopes.
                        service snipers, 3 gun shooters, and the vast vast majority of new gun owners whose rifles came without any sights. Guess they are all novices.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                          A lot of deer hunters use see through rings.
                          Riflemen that deer hunt do not.
                          My FiL has see through mounts on his Win 100. He is a deer hunter but definitely not a rifleman.

Comment

I am talking about a real rifleman, Lucas McCain, who can fire off a round in .3 of a second.

Trivia: How many shots are fired in the opener ?
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-06-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              I am talking about a real rifleman, Lucas McCain, who can fire off a round in .3 of a second.

Trivia: How many shots are fired in the opener ?
                              the trigger didn't do anything on his rifle, the lever fired it, Hollywood magic. He also fired from the hip shooting several rounds not exactly a how to for any hunter safety instructor. That's a real Michigan deer hunter alright. Do you copy his style with your Weatherby? Watch that groin.😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂. ✌️My brother.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• SHOT Show in decline?
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I see from Phil's blog that Caeasar Guerini, Perazzi, Blaser, and Henry have all bailed on SHOT Show. Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps all the goofy tacticool...
                                Today, 01:35 PM
                              • Reply to China Virus
                                by Danbo
                                Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
                                Today, 12:29 PM
                              • China Virus
                                by jhjimbo
                                Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
                                Yesterday, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to China Virus
                                by PigHunter
                                But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
                                https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
                                Today, 11:30 AM
                              • Reply to Memorial
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Sigh! You lucky guys. I am looking at snow in the back yard that is up to top of Ellie's back ... and more starting to come down (just a bit though)....
                                Today, 11:26 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X