Lost from the Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost from the Hunt

Hello everyone. New and first time posting here. I've never had the opportunity to do big game hunting. Biggest ive taken down really was a bobcat. But I find my self in an area where there is nowhere to hunt allowed (except this small piece of grass where the rabbit come to) and am sorrounded by cotton tails but just as well by neighbors that arent too nice. How have some of y'all dealt with not having the chances to go hunt when its running in your blood to be out there? I know reading thru some of these has helped keep me distracted.
    Last edited by r.felix711; 11-16-2019, 06:33 PM.

If you can get hold of the hunting regulation booklet for your state (try the county clerk's office), you may find there are public hunting areas in your vicinity.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Welcome and it's great to see your first post. When in college, I didn't have the time to hunt but there was a large field between my apartment and a small patch of woods. Rabbits would graze in the field and I started making a game of seeing how close I could get to them before they ran. I would only step when they had their heads down to take another bite of grass, and I would freeze in place while they looked up. It's a great way to develop patience and stalking skills.

Perhaps you can get some of the need to hunt from your system by stalking up to land animals and birds to take photographs. Perhaps your neighbors would be more agreeable if they knew you just wanted photos....

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        If you can get hold of the hunting regulation booklet for your state (try the county clerk's office), you may find there are public hunting areas in your vicinity.
        Hope this helps.
        I actually did find something, i contacted gamewarden and they gave me a link to find locations. Found a couple but need to find a permit. But thats my next option!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Welcome and it's great to see your first post. When in college, I didn't have the time to hunt but there was a large field between my apartment and a small patch of woods. Rabbits would graze in the field and I started making a game of seeing how close I could get to them before they ran. I would only step when they had their heads down to take another bite of grass, and I would freeze in place while they looked up. It's a great way to develop patience and stalking skills.

Perhaps you can get some of the need to hunt from your system by stalking up to land animals and birds to take photographs. Perhaps your neighbors would be more agreeable if they knew you just wanted photos....
          Of course! I have a perfectly good camara i can put to work! And you're right, i can practice my sneaking cause im not all that great at it!. The down side it where i live they only come out at night, but where i work, theyre out and about all day and i have the freedom to practice that! thank you for the idea!

Comment

If you find hunting regulation booklets in your state you might find hunting areas surrounding your areas.

Comment

Picking up the plat book for your county or using apps like onX Hunt, Basemaps, or Gaia GPS can be extremely helpful finding public land around you. Maybe there really isn't much around you but any of those tools can be used to find areas that you can access.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad