Hunting alone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    I loved hunting alone, note the past tense, over 80 not such a good idea. I was very successful as a young elk hunter finding big bulls. You have to hunt where they are. Tough, back country then stay there until you get one. Lots of long, cold, lonely hours. Camp near there then hunt before daylight till after dark. My last one was seven years ago. My 11 year old grandson helped me over logs in rough country freezing cold. One shot at 300 and a 380+ Bull was ours. Grandson has no interest in hunting again. Was not fun. Who said it was?
    Funny how generations don't always match up. I first hunted deer at 30 with friends, because no one in my family hunted or used firearms. From the time I was a small child, I always itched to hunt and camp, badly, and had no direction. In my late 30's 2 friends led me along: Joe Flores, 35 years my senior, and Gerald Adams, 30 years my senior.

At 51 I just went on my first elk hunt, and when younger would have sold my sister (maybe not, but definitely would have considered it) to go on that elk hunt with you. I hope to hunt as much as possible these next 20 years, elk in different places and hopefully in Africa. My daughter, 15, saw how much fun I had on my elk hunt and wants to go: she loves to shoot with me but has never wanted to shoot an animal, until now. We'll see. It would be such a joy to look for elk in God's country with her.

Comment

Originally posted by MoeStelzer View Post

Funny how generations don't always match up. I first hunted deer at 30 with friends, because no one in my family hunted or used firearms. From the time I was a small child, I always itched to hunt and camp, badly, and had no direction. In my late 30's 2 friends led me along: Joe Flores, 35 years my senior, and Gerald Adams, 30 years my senior.

At 51 I just went on my first elk hunt, and when younger would have sold my sister (maybe not, but definitely would have considered it) to go on that elk hunt with you. I hope to hunt as much as possible these next 20 years, elk in different places and hopefully in Africa. My daughter, 15, saw how much fun I had on my elk hunt and wants to go: she loves to shoot with me but has never wanted to shoot an animal, until now. We'll see. It would be such a joy to look for elk in God's country with her.
      I envy your aspirations, your plans of future hunts and the possibility of doing so with your daughter. In a few months I will be 80, have done several of the things you mentioned, and having had the opportunity and the experiences, would give almost anything to do them again !! I certainly hope your dreams are fulfilled and wish you the happiness that I have been fortunate to know. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by MoeStelzer View Post

Moe, don't know if you do, but I will encourage you to maintain a journal of all your hunting activities!
        ESPECIALLY with your daughter!
        I lost many years of hunting memories because I never kept a journal.
        It may sound like a lot of trouble, but a few years down the road, going back and reading your journal can sure stir up some memories.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Moe, don't know if you do, but I will encourage you to maintain a journal of all your hunting activities!
          ESPECIALLY with your daughter!
          I lost many years of hunting memories because I never kept a journal.
          It may sound like a lot of trouble, but a few years down the road, going back and reading your journal can sure stir up some memories.
          That's really a great idea. I keep a journal: but only of ammunition type and number of rounds out of each rifle! I remember every part of my hunt now, but in 3, 6 or 12 months? I think I'll follow that advice, and start this weekend on my elk hunt 4 weeks past.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

I envy your aspirations, your plans of future hunts and the possibility of doing so with your daughter. In a few months I will be 80, have done several of the things you mentioned, and having had the opportunity and the experiences, would give almost anything to do them again !! I certainly hope your dreams are fulfilled and wish you the happiness that I have been fortunate to know. Good luck !
            Bowhunter 75: Gentlemen like you sharing your experiences have continued to encourage me over the years. Thank you.

Comment

[QUOTE=MoeStelzer;n718116]

That's really a great idea. I keep a journal: but only of ammunition type and number of rounds out of each rifle! I remember every part of my hunt now, but in 3, 6 or 12 months? I think I'll follow that advice, and start this weekend on my elk hunt 4 weeks past.

Great idea!

Comment

For those of you journaling, do y'all do it post hunt or take out there with you? If so, what do you use out there that would handle the outdoors? Ive been wanting to do somethingblike this.

Comment

Originally posted by r.felix711 View Post
                  For those of you journaling, do y'all do it post hunt or take out there with you? If so, what do you use out there that would handle the outdoors? Ive been wanting to do somethingblike this.
                  This is what I started with:Click image for larger version  Name:	15740238044768950619315270064894.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	718179

Works very well.
                  This particular journal lives in my hunting pack.
                  If game falls within sight, I will sit and watch them and record the hunt in my journal in the field.

This is what I'm going to:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	15740240605255876490993128136100.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	718180
                  It's a little smaller, pretty waterproof and can be used as a signaling device in an emergency! LOL!

The old black & white journal on top has been on a fishing trip to Kodiak, Alaska and has several on the spot turkey and deer hunts recorded.

I prefer to record my thoughts as soon as possible before I forget minute details. Late afternoon hunts, I'll record at home. If I've taken game, I'm running late getting home and most times just too tired to set down and write it all down.

I bought the top journal. It's the third. I have two others I've filled up.
                  The yellow journal was a b'day present from my youngest.
                  You can order them online or I've found them at Academy.

As to "what" you keep your journal in/on is a personal choice.
                  When I started, I kept my journal on my computer.
                  When I realized I had about 50 pages, I decided to print it all out for safe keeping.
                  THE VERY NEXT hunt I recorded, about halfway through, the computer crashed and I never was able to recover ANYTHING!
                  Lost a butt load of pictures, bills, address, etc, etc...!
                  That's when I went to the hard copy, handwritten notebooks.

...but that's just me. It will be your journal, do it however it pleases you.
                  We have some guys that relate their stories on this site. Whether they print them out or not, I can't tell you.

I will tell you this. Occasionally, I'll pick up one of my journals and read. I'm often amazed at the small details I'd forgotten that made the hunt even more special.

Good luck!
                  Good hunting!
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-17-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I've carried writing materials into the field but found I rarely used them. Instead, I'm concentrating on the hunt. However, I always have a water resistant notepad and pencil just in case. It's the Rite in the Rain 4"x6"

https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Wea...fishing&sr=8-6

I take lots of photos to help jog my memory when I can get back to the computer for the electronic log.

Comment

I’m taking all three grandsons this weekend. I’ve never really had anyone to hunt with either. I’m sure you can a young guy who needs a mentor check with your state game dept they may have a mentor ship program god knows this sport needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                        I’m taking all three grandsons this weekend. I’ve never really had anyone to hunt with either. I’m sure you can a young guy who needs a mentor check with your state game dept they may have a mentor ship program god knows this sport needs it.
                        Check Bass Pro sale black Friday. Several nice firearms in 8 calibers for $200 fitted with a Weaver scope. Also have a compact model in 4 calibers. Good way to get a junior hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          Exceptional idea milldawg.
                          Unfortunately, I don't have a hunting area where I'm free to take others.
                          With some of today's youth, I'm not sure just how far I'd care to trust some of them!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad