Hunting alone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Apple fights, that brings back memories. In Boy Scouts our troop leader would let us line up on a back road that had a couple apple trees spaced about 40 yards apart. We’d cut sticks about 1/2’-3/4” in diameter, 3’-4’ long and sharpen one end. Impale an apple and heave away. Kind of a spin on dodge ball. Worst that ever happened was one kid took a shot to the groin flattening him.

My how times have changed.
    I have no brothers, but a kid down the road was a year younger, so we hit it off okay.
    We didn't have apples or cow patties, though there was a grand abundance of horse apples! LOL!
    BUT....!
    We did have green pears, china berries and green persimmons. If you've never had a grass bur war, you ain't lived!
    A green, hand ball sized Keifer pear can deliver quite the down range ballistics! LOL!

Comment

It can be hard for some of us to give up a little of our independence as we age.
      My m-i-l, bless her 89 year old heart, didn't need a walker. "I can walk just fine!"
      Now she's laying in a rehab center recovering from a broken hip.

I've gutted small deer, slung them over my shoulder and walked the mile or so back to camp. (No mountains, Honk!)
      Now, I can't even get one up off the ground without a come-a-long!

Comment

I've drug deer by myself. Some big ones too.
        Having a buddy to help sure is nice.

Paid the neighbor kid to help me load one in Jeep one year. No tailgate on the CJ5. My back was screwed up and I couldn't get her over the spare tire.

Kids out next door, said "ask your ma if you can help me load a deer for $10" (I knew the grandpa). I just needed slight help, and the little guy was up for the task (more to help me balance it while I lifted).

Literally worked him 2 minutes and gave him a twenty.

His smile was HUGE.

Comment

Last yr cuz's buck died out in picked field, drove right to it.
          I shot one in same area, but we had about a 75 yard thorn patch drag up hill to field.
          Antlers are nice hand holds.
          Our crippled arses got it without a break. Not out of breath either.
          But we the same size and make a pretty good mini draft horse kinda team.

See how bad we do this weekend LOL
          Its gonna be sloppy from snow melt.
          My tires aint the best.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            I've drug deer by myself. Some big ones too.
            Having a buddy to help sure is nice.

Paid the neighbor kid to help me load one in Jeep one year. No tailgate on the CJ5. My back was screwed up and I couldn't get her over the spare tire.
            Do you have a trailer hitch on that jeep? If so, a hitch rack would have been much lower to the ground and you probably would have been able to do it alone.

I use a game cart to get deer out of the woods and wouldn't hunt alone in some of my spots without it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xterra reduced.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	717909

Name:	Oakmulgee 9pt r.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	717910

Name:	9 Point 2016_12_30 on cart r.jpg
Size:	947.6 KB
ID:	717911

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              So, how does the flavor of Rocky Mountain mulie compare to Catskill whitetail?
              We’ve only eaten the filets, sliced and pan fried in butter without seasoning, and honestly I can’t tell the difference. Went without adding anything just to get an idea of the real flavor. Surprisingly it’s very mild and not tough at all. Hopefully the rest is the same.

Comment

I usually have a sling shot in the pack for acorns along with a few ball bearings. I have been known to take a shot at a squirrel.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Do you have a trailer hitch on that jeep? If so, a hitch rack would have been much lower to the ground and you probably would have been able to do it alone.

I use a game cart to get deer out of the woods and wouldn't hunt alone in some of my spots without it.

Name:	Xterra reduced.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	717909

Name:	Oakmulgee 9pt r.jpg
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	717910

Name:	9 Point 2016_12_30 on cart r.jpg
Size:	947.6 KB
ID:	717911
                  My only hangup with those hitch haulers for deer is when guys drive around for hours on our roads that have been salted. I’ve seen deer with an inch or so of road grime on them, even with the hide on it can’t be good for the meat. I realize you don’t have salt to deal with but some of your dirt roads must be bad when they’re wet. Do you wrap the deer in a tarp or hasn’t it been an issue?

Comment

My only hangup with those hitch haulers for deer is when guys drive around for hours on our roads that have been salted. I’ve seen deer with an inch or so of road grime on them, even with the hide on it can’t be good for the meat. I realize you don’t have salt to deal with but some of your dirt roads must be bad when they’re wet. Do you wrap the deer in a tarp or hasn’t it been an issue?
                    When I shot my buck here last year the weather changed dramatically before we could get back to town and it got muddy in the hitch rack but hosed off quickly at the trailer park and it was still very clean by the time we got it to the West Side five hours down the highway. No road salt here, thank God! That stuff is a criminal waste of resources (not including the salt). We had one buck on top of the Jimmy too and it was just as clean. Hmmm. I seem to recall we wrapped the one on the rack in a blue tarp for the highway trip.

Won't be an issue here this year no matter what the weather. CWD was just confirmed in this district two weeks ago. Therefore nothing leaves the district with brain or spinal tissue intact. I will be doing the "gutless" method of field dressing and, depending on weather, semi-boned deer meat will either go in coolers or the big wheeled yellow storage box I bought from Walmart. Not the way I would prefer doing things but it is what it is. Have to do my part. Note to self: Borrow my buddy's cordless sawzall to throw in the car-top carrier for hacking off legs at the hock. Get meat bags from hardware store. Leaving for there now.
                    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 11-12-2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

We’ve only eaten the filets, sliced and pan fried in butter without seasoning, and honestly I can’t tell the difference. Went without adding anything just to get an idea of the real flavor. Surprisingly it’s very mild and not tough at all. Hopefully the rest is the same.
                      I shot quite a few of those mountain mulies and countless prairie variety. Can't tell the difference on the plate. Only thing better is a whitetail spiker. Some big muley bucks can get real stinky in the rut but yours should be too early for that.

Comment

You're right, Alabama rarely puts anything other than sand on the slick spots. Like OHH said, mud can be washed off. I've never wrapped deer for transport but always have a tarp or large poncho with me that would work.

Pigs are a different story. I rarely transport the whole animal because the deer processors won't take them. I do as OHH says he will with deer this season. I take the best cuts of meat without gutting and leave the rest for Nature to take care of. A week or two later and there won't be anything left of the carcass. The coyotes and buzzards appreciate pork as much as anyone.

Comment

"... Pigs are a different story. I rarely transport the whole animal because the deer processors won't take them. ..."

There's a reason for that pighunter.
                          If they won't allow a feral hog into a processing plant, why would you eat one?

"... Feral Hogs can carry and/or transmit several diseases to wildlife and/or humans. Three diseases that cause the most concern are swine brucellosis, psuedorabies, and tularemia, although, feral hogs harbor other diseases as well. ..."
                          Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-12-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Back when i had my Jeep CJs.....neither had tailgate ( both CJ5 ). No hitch haul either.

Started using a K5 Blazer and yanked rear seat in hunting season. Hauled a few up and in there by myself.

Around 2000 I started running a hitch haul on my lifted XJs. Higher off the road.....kept deer cleaner. No need for tarp unless wet out.

ZJ was lifted and worked great

Stock height and hitch haul.....means new hitch haul .
                            Buddy trashed his.....warned him.

He lifted his jeep and got a beefier cargo hauler too

Comment

BTW.....i drive pretty close to my downed deer.

The CJ I redid from a frontal roll over got a lot of added character LOL.

Fun....Id hammer down. Hunting buds would hoot and howl. Friggin spin that on a dime. Was like at ATV

Comment

Little mountain goat it was.....but not this one time....12 pointer over the hood, a spike and doe in back seat and three guys......driving in a hilly woods w a long stretch out. Mountain tortoise more like it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                  by WA Mtnhunter
                                  I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                  Today, 10:39 PM
                                • Season ends
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                  Today, 12:41 AM
                                • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                  by Sarge01
                                  If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                  Today, 10:26 PM
                                • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                  Today, 05:33 PM
                                • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                  by fitch270
                                  My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                  Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X