Hunting alone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting alone.

My intro to deer hunting was as a 3 year old, sitting in a tree stand with my dad.
    Later, my grampa would take me.
    I didn't have any brothers, my hunting ground was an hour away so it wasn't like I could just stroll out the back door with my friends.
    Besides, my parents moved me from one school district to another between the first and second grade.
    I lived in one town and attended school in another. I was the "odd man out" in both locales.
    ...so I learned to hunt/fish alone.

When I got my drivers license, I'd drive to our hunting lease on Friday afternoon after school and hunt Friday evening, Saturday morning and afternoon and Sunday morning.

After high school, I worked a job with odd hours and odd off days.
    Got off Saturday 3PM and drove to the lease. Hunt Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Back to work 3PM/11PM Sunday and Monday. Get up Tuesday morning and hunt all day Tuesday and work 11PM/7AM Tuesday and Wednesday. Got off 7AM Thursday. Sleep until noon, then hunt Thursday afternoon and all day Friday. Start all over 7AM Saturday.
    I used to say I worked 5 days a week with 4 days off.

Most of my acquaintances looked at their watch when they got out of bed. I had to look at a calendar! LOL!

By the time I got any age, I was so set in my own hunting means and methods, hunting alone became the norm. Other than the occasional dove hunt, most of my hunting and fishing was done to my satisfaction.
    I knew where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. Didn't care to have anyone along to mess up my plans.
    Retired (?) at age 52.
    Nobody else my age was free to hunt and fish on a whim, so I resumed my solitary ways.
    Last year I killed a pretty nice buck.
    Between rope and a come-a-long, I loaded him, gutted him, dressed him and quartered him all by myself.
    Wife now looks at me askance when I talk about going hunting or fishing alone.
    No siblings, no grandkids, no local hunting friends. Guess I'll have to either give it up or hire an assistant! LOL!

Many great adventure tales have been told by hunters who venture forth alone in the wilderness, but no such tales are told by those whose remains are later found, having been fed upon by scavengers:-))

Comment

I never found any bones in the woods. My Sister did find a rifle, but no bones.
      I almost always hunt with only a couple of people, other than that I am alone.

Come on Bubba, 3 years old? At 3 years old you were playing with your poop and had no idea what a deer was.

Comment

Other than my early hunting days with my Grandpa, until I entered the military at 18, I have always hunted alone. The only exception to that is when on my elk hunts in Colorado with four other bowhunters for 10 days in September. Whitetail hunting at home area was always alone and much preferred. Fishing has been about 50-50 but never as much time spent as in hunting. In my older years, my hunting desire has lessened greatly, something I never thought would happen, but it changed rather suddenly. I miss the challenge of it but not the work that was involved, and also not the killing. I have no regrets, had many wonderful times on hunts. Wish those of you who are still active in your pursuit, as many good times that I have experienced. Good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I never found any bones in the woods. My Sister did find a rifle, but no bones.
          I almost always hunt with only a couple of people, other than that I am alone.

Come on Bubba, 3 years old? At 3 years old you were playing with your poop and had no idea what a deer was.
          Yes, jimbo. Three.
          No, I wasn't shooting a .300 Win Mag and gutting 800 pound bull elk, but I was listening, observing, quietly asking questions and learning to sit still and quiet.
          At 8, dad built me my own stand, gave me a 20 gauge and several loads of buckshot and I hunted alone. Never killed anything but time, but I was there. I was 17 before I actually killed a deer, but I spent many cold, frosty mornings waiting and watching.

So yes, 3 years old.

Comment

I loved hunting alone, note the past tense, over 80 not such a good idea. I was very successful as a young elk hunter finding big bulls. You have to hunt where they are. Tough, back country then stay there until you get one. Lots of long, cold, lonely hours. Camp near there then hunt before daylight till after dark. My last one was seven years ago. My 11 year old grandson helped me over logs in rough country freezing cold. One shot at 300 and a 380+ Bull was ours. Grandson has no interest in hunting again. Was not fun. Who said it was?

Comment

H. Myles, guess that's why I burned up vacation time to hunt, then had to go back to work to get some rest! LOL!

Comment

Was not fun. Who said it was?
                To paraphrase Steve Rinella:

There's two types of fun: The kind where you ride a ride, or play a game, and say "wheeee," and then a week later get asked what you did that day. You think about it, and reply, "Oh, nuthin' much."

The second type is when you undertake something that makes you cold, tired, hot, pissed-off, injured, scared and dead-ass exhausted. You curse your existence and wonder what the hell you are doing out there.

Sitting around a campfire thirty years later, you say, "y'know what? That week was the most fun I've ever had in my life."
                Last edited by Amflyer; 11-09-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

To paraphrase Steve Rinella:

There's two types of fun: The kind where you ride a ride, or play a game, and say "wheeee," and then a week later get asked what you did that day. You think about it, and reply, "Oh, nuthin' much."

The second type is when you undertake something that makes you cold, tired, hot, pissed-off, injured, scared and dead-ass exhausted. You curse your existence and wonder what the hell you are doing out there.

Sitting around a campfire thirty years later, you say, "y'know what? That week was the most fun I've ever had in my life."
                  Thank you for that.

Comment

Hunting tomorrow alone, cuz has to work.
                    Went this morning, wind picked up as I was getting dressed by my Jeep, said screw it and went back home (got 2 more hrs sleep).

Comment

...and there is that deep, profound, pithy reply to which I always aspire and seldom, if ever, achieve!

Thank you amflyer!
                      Very nice, sir!

Comment

I had this recent story in mind when I posted my comment:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seinfeld-...134013521.html
                        Last edited by 99explorer; 11-09-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I lost a piston in my Jeep right before gun season.
                          Changed the piston, head, carb and main bearings in one long run.
                          Went deer hunting on zero sleep.
                          Sickly, climbed out of stand and laid by the tree on the ground.
                          Woke up an hr or so later, wet...........it was raining.
                          Soaked by the time I got back to the Jeep, so figured WTH.........went down a big ravine to peek in a low area. Buck w a doe.
                          Shot him.
                          Drove close enough, the drag not that bad. Got him in Jeep by myself too.
                          Was not worth it.
                          Not even looking back 25 yrs later.

Nowadays I check the TV, let some weather hottie tell me if I should venture forth or go back to bed.
                          Last edited by CD2; 11-10-2019, 12:56 AM.

Comment

I've hunted week long downpours and also in -30 windchill.
                            Mostly just got sick.
                            Killed a few, no trophies. Not worth it.
                            Find the new hunting macho ads laughable.

I got enough frostbite, pneumonia just hunting deer in my home state on weekends.

Hell, got out of Jeep today, at hunting spot........wind picked up while getting dressed.
                            I drove home.

Zero guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                              I've hunted week long downpours and also in -30 windchill.
                              Mostly just got sick.
                              Killed a few, no trophies. Not worth it.
                              Find the new hunting macho ads laughable.

I got enough frostbite, pneumonia just hunting deer in my home state on weekends.

Hell, got out of Jeep today, at hunting spot........wind picked up while getting dressed.
                              I drove home.

Zero guilt.
                              Wind almost always picks up in the AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad