No announcement yet.

Good luck this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, found some beefy US made hang on stands........Family Tradition Tree stands, made in Michigan. Think I'll buy one for my X mas present.

http://www.familytraditiontreestands.com/LockOn.html

or maybe an XOP (dunno where they made)

https://xopoutdoors.com/collections/...g-on-treestand

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
      BTW, found some beefy US made hang on stands........Family Tradition Tree stands, made in Michigan. Think I'll buy one for my X mas present.

http://www.familytraditiontreestands.com/LockOn.html

or maybe an XOP (dunno where they made)

https://xopoutdoors.com/collections/...g-on-treestand
      Thanks for the info cd2 on the stands and ladder, looks like the perfect setup ! Due to safety concerns at my age, I have limited my bow hunting considerably, this could end that issue ! I do not imagine the price is cheap, but safety rarely is. Good luck with your hunting, and most of all with your arm situation. Being a die hard recurve shooter, I can understand your problem !

Comment

I went canoeing / pig hunting yesterday in my favorite swamp. The recent rain caused the river to be in flood stage which put the level about 5 feet higher than normal for this time of year. I'd decided to take the Henry in .22 magnum and had the Ruger SP101 in .357 mag as backup. The WMA regulations allow the carry of a self-defense handgun but it can't be used for hunting during archery season.

At 60 years old, I'm finding things are just a little tougher this year handling that 78-lb canoe. Regular gym workouts definitely help but dang, I don't remember it being this hard 10 years ago. Apparently I've been sitting at the computer too much.

After landing the canoe, I hiked along an old logging road for about a half mile to one of my favorite ambush spots. It's a ground blind overlooking a straight stretch of 120 yards down the road. That spot is where PigHuntress took her first deer and I made my longest muzzleloader kill.

But, it's been three years since I've been there and everything was overgrown. I took 45 minutes with the machete to clear shooting lanes and rebuild the blind. It was about 60 degF and time for water so I unfolded a three-legged stool and sat in the blind, slapping mosquitoes while drinking and admiring my handiwork.

A few minutes later I see the deer pictured below coming down the road. I grabbed the camera for some good shots and it didn't see me until within 6 paces of the blind. I figured the moma must have been killed (archery season started on Oct. 15th) because it was too bold to have been on it's own for long. I didn't have a legal way to take the deer but it would have been an easy drag back to the canoe, and some tender meat!

The mosquitoes got their fill while I was stationary... didn't see any pig sign...

Last edited by PigHunter; 11-04-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

My buddy in NY could carry, single handed over his head, a Grumman 19 footer. I think it was called the 'freighter' - square stern with a capacity of I think 1500lbs. It is the model that also has a optinal sail, rudder and outriggers. I cold never carry it by myself. We put my 7.5 hp on it and would go up rivers in the Adirondacks as far as we could go and then camp for hunting. .
          In NY and Ohio it used to be no firearm while archery. Also no phone use while hunting - only for emergencies. That has relaxed but still can not use a firearm for coup-de-gras. The pic. is my 18'. Canoe, three small people can sit side Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0587.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.6 KB ID:	717520 by side on center seat. I have a motor mount and small motor for it. We are all too old, lazy, to paddle any more. It is a Dolphin made in Wabasha, Minn.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            My buddy in NY could carry, single handed over his head, a Grumman 19 footer. I think it was called the 'freighter' - square stern with a capacity of I think 1500lbs. It is the model that also has a optinal sail, rudder and outriggers. I cold never carry it by myself. We put my 7.5 hp on it and would go up rivers in the Adirondacks as far as we could go and then camp for hunting. .
            In NY and Ohio it used to be no firearm while archery. Also no phone use while hunting - only for emergencies. That has relaxed but still can not use a firearm for coup-de-gras. The pic. is my 18'. Canoe, three small people can sit side by side on center seat. I have a motor mount and small motor for it. We are all too old, lazy, to paddle any more. It is a Dolphin made in Wabasha, Minn.
            That Gumman 19-ft Freighter is a beast at 119-lbs! That's around the weight of a small jon boat but has a higher payload capacity. I wouldn't want to roof-top a boat that heavy.

Jim, I like that 18-footer of yours. Nice looking older style. I made a motor mount to fit either of my canoes but limit it to just electric. Here's a picture of it on my solo...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trolling Motor Mount 01.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	717525

Comment

I've got a 17' Grumman with a shoe keel, (shallow keel and extra ribs for wrapping it around rocks), and it's heavy enough. I put it up on the headache rack of my truck with the other end over the tail gate. Not much place to use it out here though, place is almost desert.

I took Monday off to arrange work to go on without me. Still have to fill buck tag and it's pre rut. Supposed to be warm for the rest of the week. I'm walk and stalk mule deer in the woods which is not always an easy thing to do. I like walking around the woods though, I'll bring a tea pot and some jerky. Sometimes I see tracks from other hunters, rare but they are out there. Used to be I could tell who it was by the tracks. Most people stay on logging roads and trails which I really appreciate, leaves a lot of woods for hunting. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7393.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	717556

Comment

Steiner 10X are nice, but I'm jittery. Either need a harness or lay off the Dew (or buy 8X)
                You should try my 16X50's. Impossible to hold very well. I do use a tripod bird watching - 275' field of view at 1,000 yds. I also have a car window mount that works good.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

That Gumman 19-ft Freighter is a beast at 119-lbs! That's around the weight of a small jon boat but has a higher payload capacity. I wouldn't want to roof-top a boat that heavy.

Jim, I like that 18-footer of yours. Nice looking older style. I made a motor mount to fit either of my canoes but limit it to just electric. Here's a picture of it on my solo...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trolling Motor Mount 01.JPG Views:	48 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	717525
                  My (ahem!) wife has a 1979 model 17' Alumacraft w/3' beam. It weighs 66 lbs. Used to be able to flip it over on my shoulders and walk off with it. I can't even get one end up off the saw horses now! LOL!
                  With my shoulder implant, I may as well sell it for scrap aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

My (ahem!) wife has a 1979 model 17' Alumacraft w/3' beam. It weighs 66 lbs. Used to be able to flip it over on my shoulders and walk off with it. I can't even get one end up off the saw horses now! LOL!
                    With my shoulder implant, I may as well sell it for scrap aluminum.
                    Well Bubba, you could wait for a full recovery or get rid of it.

Fortunately, I'm stout and don't have joint issues. However, I'm now more careful than ever handling the 78-lb larger canoe. The Xterra's roof is several inches higher than that of my old 4Runner and I can no longer man-handle the boat via brute force like I could when younger. So, I've taken to loading it from the back, placing one end up on the roof rack and then grabbing the other end to slide it on.

At just 43-lbs, my solo is easier but of course doesn't have the cargo capacity of the larger tandem. And, the solo is not as stable since it has a narrower beam.

Comment

Well Bubba, you could wait for a full recovery or get rid of it.

Fortunately, I'm stout and don't have joint issues. However, I'm now more careful than ever handling the 78-lb larger canoe. The Xterra's roof is several inches higher than that of my old 4Runner and I can no longer man-handle the boat via brute force like I could when younger. So, I've taken to loading it from the back, placing one end up on the roof rack and then grabbing the other end to slide it on.

At just 43-lbs, my solo is easier but of course doesn't have the cargo capacity of the larger tandem. And, the solo is not as stable since it has a narrower beam.
                      As the purchase was her idea at the time, I figure it will lay in the barn as a "wasp nest magnet" until she decides its fate. I really don't care if it goes or stays. Since I have pickups, I "can" get it loaded.
                      Whether I could ever paddle it any distance or not remains to be seen! LOL!
                      We had lots of fun with the thing and the kids did too. We're just all alot older now.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

As the purchase was her idea at the time, I figure it will lay in the barn as a "wasp nest magnet" until she decides its fate. I really don't care if it goes or stays. Since I have pickups, I "can" get it loaded.
                        Whether I could ever paddle it any distance or not remains to be seen! LOL!
                        We had lots of fun with the thing and the kids did too. We're just all alot older now.
                        I've had my large canoe since 2000 and it was approximately 20 years old then. I bought it from an old engineer friend who was in his late 70's and was downsizing. Even at $150 it was hardly a bargain. The wooden thwart and seats were rotted and had to be replaced. The ABS plastic outer layer at both ends was worn away and the foam center between the outer and inner hulls was exposed. So, I had to install skid plates. Apparently it had been wrapped around a rock at one point because there's a crease in the plastic on one side. I guess that's why it didn't sport the original gunwales. The end caps were not original and their fiberglass was cracking so I replaced them with marine plywood. All told, I'd put another $150 into repairs.

My canoeing friend and I didn't expect that old zombie canoe to last more than another 4 seasons but here we are, 19 years later. The trick has been to limit UV exposure by keeping the boat painted and shaded. Also, I've not taken it on any water worse than Class III.

Here's the way it looked before the camo paint job. Safely pulled all the way onto dry land at my favorite swamp, 1-30-2008. That's my old T/C in-line leaning against the stump, didn't make a kill that day but enjoyed the adventure anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canoe on bank.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	717641

Comment

FWIW the guys on the Hunting Public youtube channel use canoe and kayak to get back into hunting spots

Comment

FWIW the guys on the Hunting Public youtube channel use canoe and kayak to get back into hunting spots
                            Thanks, I'll check that out. Shallow draft is of course one of the advantages of canoes and kayaks in getting to some spots normal motorized boats can't. However, I've run into a couple of hunters using long shaft props to drive their flatbottom boats into the same places.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that out. Shallow draft is of course one of the advantages of canoes and kayaks in getting to some spots normal motorized boats can't. However, I've run into a couple of hunters using long shaft props to drive their flatbottom boats into the same places.
                              The wife and me once ran our canoe down a water filled logging road rut. Thank goodness, it ran into a slough that doubled back into the river.

We went to a large private lake once. She wanted to have a fish fry.
                              It was a still, clear day. I turned the canoe so we faced the cover along the bank and began casting for bass.
                              About the third cast, a monster (?) bass, probably 2 or 2.5 pounds, hit my lure and I drug him right down the starboard side of the canoe, the wife following the fish down the canoe gunwale yelling, "Don't lose him! Don't lose him!" LMBO!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad