Clear All

LGS has Encore, w some bbls.
    I can't do it. Thing feels awful.

Not a fan of my dad's striker either.
    XP more what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
      Impressive , both you and Ernie !
      Thanks! I put my pants on like everybody else.
      I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I do okay shooting.
      I have good days and bad days of shooting.
      At distance, inconsistent switchy winds can eat your lunch!
      Add some freaky topographical terrain in there, and you have a perfect storm for abject humility.
      I have watched trace go vertical (Through Kowa Big Eyes) when combined with wind and hills.
      I used to compete several times a year at different LR competitions (Both roving field shoots and BR), but haven't done any for the last 4 years.
      It just isn't as important to me, as it used to be.
      I would rather be hunting than competing.
      I am a minister, so being gone on weekends (I only have so many Sundays were I can be gone) for a match doesn't work out so good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
        LGS has Encore, w some bbls.
        I can't do it. Thing feels awful.

Not a fan of my dad's striker either.
        XP more what I like.
        The center-grip XP-100 or the H-S Precision HSP (no longer made by H-S Precision) are preferred over the Contender, Encore, Striker, MOA Maximum, and XP-100R.
        The Pachmayr Dominator is just a Grail Gun for me, so it is in a category all it's own.

Comment

Striker is kinda center grip but repeater. Ugly and clunky compared to the HS/XP.

Almost bought an HS a few yrs back.

Remember the ol Bob Milek Safari arms and other. Think he had one made from a Sako action in one article. Tomato soup red the stock on at least one Safari arms.

IIRC

Shop we used to go to did custom work, and XP/BR rifle stocks.

Late 70's early 80's

Comment

Sorry for the short jumbled memories....am eating w the ol lady and some cat woman came in and reeks of cat pizz. I can smell stuff way off and am about halfway to.migraine.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              That's why, when you find somebody that is decent enough to hunt with........you are one lucky bastard.
              I have around 12 guys that are great shots, great shooters, and great people that I have hunted with over the years.
              Six of those guys I have spent a good time afield with them.
              Yes, I am a lucky guy!

Comment

I am not a fan of shooting at game way over yonder. My definition of yonder is likely different from yours. I can generally hit small steel targets out to 400 yards with boring regularity and high percentage of those at 500. I really like keeping shots under 400 yards where my elk rig drops them DRT. Not everyone is a fan of the .300 Weatherby but it has batted a thousand for me. Happy Trails

Comment

WAM, good to here from you. I concur on the 300 Weatherby, even though these days I use a 300 Win Mag. My guidelines of Fair Chase do not include ultra, long range shooting. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                    I am not a fan of shooting at game way over yonder. My definition of yonder is likely different from yours. I can generally hit small steel targets out to 400 yards with boring regularity and high percentage of those at 500. I really like keeping shots under 400 yards where my elk rig drops them DRT. Not everyone is a fan of the .300 Weatherby but it has batted a thousand for me. Happy Trails
                    How did you make out this year, WAM? Was the weather down there in Colorado as bad as it's been up here in Montana? In spite of horrible conditions I managed to bag a fairly nice muley buck. Huge body and okay horns. Great shot if I do say so myself. Dropped him on the run (but not real fast) at maybe seventy yards. Hit him right where I aimed. Fell over on impact. Skeet shooting a lot probably helped immensely. 30-06 is definitely enough gun. Will see how the old Springfield does on elk again next year. My buddy I'm staying with here this year has decided we should hunt elk together on some of his family's property in SW Montana hotspot. My brother and his seven partners each filled elk tags in first three days of the season down there ... on public land. One so-so bull and rest were cows. Won't be much of a challenge I'm afraid. I'll bring my wall tent and stove out of retirement. That will be fun. Getting a big buck here has become more of a challenge as quite a few of my old haunts are no longer publicly accessible. But more challenging is more fun ... as long as my body can take it. I am also "pencilled in" for another Africa trip in August. Black wildebeest and waterbuck for sure. Undecided on the rest. Probably another kudu. Going after them is my kind of rugged hunting. May go to Alaska for fly fishing in July. 2020 looks to be a busy year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

How did you make out this year, WAM? Was the weather down there in Colorado as bad as it's been up here in Montana? ......
                      Hi Honk,
                      The weather was not as bad during the hunt as it was just prior. Three mornings before the hunt it was -18 F at the old cabin. -6 F the morning I arrived and got better all week. It was +11 F opening morning with about a foot of snow on the ground. It was not nearly as bad as in WY and MT. I shot a 5x7 bull just before dark opening day and a decent 4x3 mulie five days later. We had 5 elk tags and filled 4 of them, all bulls. Sounds like you had a great trip, too! Happy Trails

Comment

Hi Honk,
                        The weather was not as bad during the hunt as it was just prior. Three mornings before the hunt it was -18 F at the old cabin. -6 F the morning I arrived and got better all week. It was +11 F opening morning with about a foot of snow on the ground. It was not nearly as bad as in WY and MT. I shot a 5x7 bull just before dark opening day and a decent 4x3 mulie five days later. We had 5 elk tags and filled 4 of them, all bulls. Sounds like you had a great trip, too! Happy Trails
                        Congratulations WAM , sounds like you had a great season!

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post

Congratulations WAM , sounds like you had a great season!
                          Thanks Pmacc! First time since 2007 that I filled both deer and elk tags in the same season. First opening day bull since 2005. But who’s keeping score.... I still have a late season muzzleloader elk tag, but my enthusiasm is less than 100%. Cheers

Comment

Thanks Pmacc! First time since 2007 that I filled both deer and elk tags in the same season. First opening day bull since 2005. But who’s keeping score.... I still have a late season muzzleloader elk tag, but my enthusiasm is less than 100%. Cheers
                            Great to see you around WAM!
                            Sounds like a super season.
                            As well as things are going, maybe the muzzle loader elk gods will smile on you with a great bull.
                            Good hunting!

Comment

Hi Honk,
                              Well, that was a great season! I was thinking of both you and Happy yesterday when in town shopping post Black Friday (blizzard over the weekend killed the sales crowds). Found a like new .375 H&H Sako Finbear with a fabulous piece of wood for nine hundred bucks. The blued follower had no scratches so I have to wonder if it was used much if at all. A couple of slight marks on the stock. Would make a fine elk or Africa gun. But maybe more recoil than my eyes could handle. The old Springfield has made it this long, guess I should respect that gun enough to close out my career with her. Anyway I don't plan on shooting any more buffalo.

Comment

WH Mtnhunter, appears your whole group had great season. Congratulations. Do you hear from Beekeeper? I managed to take several good Cape buffalo, they will probably be my last ones. Time to take up ball room dancing and leave dangerous game to others.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to No Witnesses
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  In Peter Schweizer new book 'Secret Empires', he talks about a Biden who was in the WH and set up a company, then, a short time later he got a huge juicy...
                                  Today, 10:34 AM
                                • No Witnesses
                                  by rock rat
                                  I've been listening to the trial intermittently while driving mid mornings. For a while anyway. It's kind of funny and kind of sad. The senate is so caught...
                                  Yesterday, 11:39 PM
                                • Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  How about registering as an Independent ?
                                  Trump mentioned in Davos the economy is going so good he is going to start reducing the debt.
                                  Is...
                                  Today, 10:15 AM
                                • How Do I Know ???
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                                  01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
                                • Reply to No Witnesses
                                  by Danbo
                                  pmacc what the Bidens did was enrich them selves through Joe Biden senator the Vice President. However it prolly isn’t illegal the politicians make...
                                  Today, 10:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X