No announcement yet.

Elk at 845 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can drive a half hour to a 700 yard range. Open to public...not free.

Dont have the gear to play that game. Doesnt interest me. Buddy had access to private range to 1000.

Custom rifles w Nightforces atop.
    Offered me a go any time. No thanks. Ringing steel out yonder just doesnt get me going.

I'd like a chuck or yote past 500. Problem is my hunting spots that could afford such have been sold.

Comment

Im a nobody and can shoot half inch groups at 100. Have done it at 200....but that was a Stolle Panda a guy let me try off some BR pedestal.

That to me was like my old job working under a microscope. Everything minute in detail/ feel.
      Not like laying in alfalfa w skeeter on your ear popping a chuck at 300.

In thw vid I posted, some of those guys were using pedestal type rests in the field.

Obviously they know the area and set up for those shots.

Comment

No one with a 6.5 Creedmoor would take that shot as it's considered unsportingly close. There's a "fair chase" thing going on in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
          No one with a 6.5 Creedmoor would take that shot as it's considered unsportingly close. There's a "fair chase" thing going on in Colorado.
          I guess the reason that I seem to be anti 6.5 Creedmore is that the gun writers keep telling us that the 6.5 Creedmore will do what no other cartridge can do, I am tired of reading articles in the hunting magazines about it.

Comment

Sell the cartridge or sell the mags?
            Proly both.
            I'm sick of the .270/.30-06 crap.
            Tired of the tacticool.
            Annoyed w 500/870.

Same old stuff, sites, forums, mags.

I too am sick of the "6.5 Creed is the best thing since sliced bread".
            Maybe past 300 it does offer better hit probability.
            Most folks can't shoot worth a hoot past 100 and around here, most shots at or under that.

So anything will work.

Long range is the new game, and we have a 700 yarder not too far away.
            So folks spend the $ and go play.
            Goody for them.

I have zero interest in that.

Popping a woodchuck at 500? Yeah.
            Clanging steel? Nope.

I might get a 7 mag again, or something oddball like a 250 savage. Or have a #1 rebarreled into something they never offered.

But that's about it for me rifle wise.

ARs, Glocks and now 6.5 Creed..............guess I'm anti gun fashion LOL.

Worked in a gunshop for a couple of years, was the hunting gun guy, not the fantastic plastic wonder 9 guy. Most of my exp is with Rem shotguns and rifles, S&W, scopes and TC MZ and Contender.

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.

I have shot the new stuff as buds have to have the latest and greatest, so am not totally clueless, but I don't geek out on it so deferred questions to those more informed.

Limited brain space. Not going to waste it on details of that stuff. Could purge the topless Hollywood starlet files.....nah.

Last edited by CD2; 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Wow cd2, when can you be ready to take office ? I’ll talk with DT and see when we can make the change ! Don’t wander too far from your phone. Make a list on which D’s hit the road first !

Comment

I have noprob w long range shooters or the 6.5 Creed. My problem is w the average person and their nonstop blather. About that stuff and other LOL.

​​​​​​Coworker popped an elk. Decent first bull. His buddy said it was hit a little high. Of course his bud had a high dollar rifle he was afraid to scratch. Dont think it ever blooded.

Guy went on about his rifle, cartridge and scope being better....

Coworker finaly had enough and said " where's your elk ?"

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Remington 700 7mm 300 yd target.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	717400
                  Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  Id rather have a 7 mag.
                  Stainless BDL in an HS stock would be nice.
                  I have one, a Remington BDL. I would put up a 300yd target but people would think I made it up, and that is with regular ammo - I can't remember if it was Winchester 175 PowerPoint or Remington CoreLokt. They both shoot the same. When I load for the 7mm I have gotten the same results with Winchester 785 and 175 gr CoreLokt's.
                  Also, here is another one of my 7mmRemMag's. It is a commercial Mauser Made by Heym with a Krupp 26" barrel.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000413.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	717402
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-01-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

FWIW I do think the 6.5 Grendel to be an attractive cartridge....by physical looks only. Its cute.

Unfortunately its too hot for the old orig Contender frame

Comment

I don't know if this is true, so take it for what it's worth, but..... I heard of this guy who took his 6.5 creedmoor out of it's case, (remember elk have exceptional eye site where they overlap and the critter has depth perception) anyway when he took that Creedmoor out of it's case the elk saw what it was and just fell over dead of fright. Truth, I wouldn't be putting you one. Factory loaded premium bullitz aren't cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
                        I don't know if this is true, so take it for what it's worth, but..... I heard of this guy who took his 6.5 creedmoor out of it's case, (remember elk have exceptional eye site where they overlap and the critter has depth perception) anyway when he took that Creedmoor out of it's case the elk saw what it was and just fell over dead of fright. Truth, I wouldn't be putting you one. Factory loaded premium bullitz aren't cheap too.
                        Just one more plus of owning a 6.5, no more concerns about ammo costs, it is no longer needed when hunting elk. But what is the situation for less visual acute animals ? Will ‘bullitz’ still be needed, or will animals just fall over not as dead and thus need to be finished off with some other caliber ? If so, does that not bring in the problem of toting two guns ? Maybe this is just too complicated, and now no longer a plus for the 6.5 C., but a minus. We are going to need further info in this matter ! Stay tuned for further word from Rock Rat !

Comment

Stretching it a tad for a 308, but he got it done. Without knowing the person and the set-up, I don't have much else to say about the hunter in question.
                          I guess I would need to check the impact velocity at that distance, but I am guessing it was below 1800 fps.
                          I hunt close up, and sometimes I hunt far.
                          Most of the time I don't hunt beyond 600, with many more under 450 yards.
                          This year, was all under 300 yards.
                          If I am hunting at distance, it would rarely be a rifle.
                          Give me a custom XP-100!
                          If it is legal, and you are competent at it, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

I am sure you are correct, but whatever the % is, it would be idiotic ! But when possible fame is in the picture, most, if not all smartness vacates the grey matter !
                            All my shots are 100% kills. I have 2 shooting lanes from my deer stand.. I am the largest laurel patch on the mountain. I have a 100 yard shooting lane that is 30 yards wide and one the other way that is 75 yards long and about 25 yards wide. 100% every year since I retired in 2006 and started hunting deer fulltime after hunting illegal hunters for 35+ years.

Comment

845.............well la dee da.
                              Shot my deer this year at 900.
                              With a lowly .35 rem.

900 inches that is.

Comment

I enjoy long range shooting and practice it all the time to extend my shooting skills. I don't consider 845 yards to be a spectacular distance for precision shooting. With my typical long range rifles, I would expect around a 2 1/2" five shot group at that range. In a recent post, I showed a picture of a 3 1/4" 5- shot group that I shot at 1100 yards in a pretty nasty wind over tricky terrain. If you shoot at that range a lot, you learn how to read the wind and how shoot in it and when NOT to shoot. As others have said, we have all kinds of great technologies to assist us in reading wind, getting + or - 1 yard range and give us a highly probable point of aim. I have seen reason to take such a shot at ranges as long as that when it was the last hour of season, or the game was ready to move into the neighboring state for which I had no license or my plane was leaving soon. I've never taken a low probability shot like that and never will but I don't mind having the skill to take that shot with appropriate equipment.

That being said, I'd never take that shot with a .308. The main reason is lack of terminal energy (as there would be with a 6.5 Creedmoor by the way). That bullet will be going about 1300 fps (similar to a decent hunting pistol) with only 660 foot pounds of energy at 845 yards. That means no shock value; similar to hitting the animal with a paper punch. I would consider that to be a low probability kill on an animal the size and stamina of a cow elk. Any kind of cross wind would make it even a lower probability shot given the relatively slow speed of the .308 cartridge/bullet.

I know few people on this forum do any shooting over a couple hundred yards or see what is going on nowadays in shooting sports and precision rifles; but to give you a sense of comparison, last week's winner of our 600 yard F-Class competition shot a 20 shot 1" group at 600 yards in pretty ugly wind conditions. Kudos to him. I would feel confident in him shooting the elk in the eye at that distance but since he is a hunter, he would probably aim just below the ear, just in case of an error.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad