Elk at 845 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk at 845 yards

Just red an article where a hunter in Colo. killed a cow elk at 845 yards. He was using a Remington 700 .308 with 4x16x50 Vortex Viper scope and a Leupold RX=-1000 range finder. His bullet was a 168 grain Berger VLD

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
    Just red an article where a hunter in Colo. killed a cow elk at 845 yards. He was using a Remington 700 .308 with 4x16x50 Vortex Viper scope and a Leupold RX=-1000 range finder. His bullet was a 168 grain Berger VLD
    The elk found out the same thing that ISIS fighters found out, you aren't safe at 1000 yards from a .308.

Comment

He must have a bad case of BO if he can't get closer to game than 845 yds.

Comment

The Elk would have been deader with the 6.5 Creedmoor... Just saying...

Comment

Id rather have a 7 mag.
          Stainless BDL in an HS stock would be nice.

Comment

Not gonn shoot one that far either

Comment

😂
              Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Cute PH. You are something my amigo

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                Read the article in Ol by Somner, Creed not mentioned at all. 30-06 gets the nod.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  😂
                  Cute PH. You are something my amigo
                  According to all the hype the gun writers are putting out if he had a 6.5 Creedmore he could probably killed it at 2000 yards.

Comment

I hate reading crap like this. Now every nimrod will be attempting those stupid Hail Mary shots. A recipe for spookier elk so no one else can get a respectable shot ... or worse, some poor buggered animal wandering off to die somewhere. By the time that so-called hunter arrived at the spot where he might find blood it would be day after tomorrow. Dumb in the extreme!!

Comment

It’s a shame that the important factor of the article is not the success of the hunter, but the distance that the shot was made at !! It might be interesting to learn the reason the shot was even taken at that range in the first place. Too inept to close the distance, too lazy, purposely trying to have a chance of 85% to wound, compared to a 15% chance for a clean kill ? If the range was significant to warrant an article about it, maybe there will now be those attempting to make a 1500 yard shot in order to get their name in a magazine. Should lead to further wounded animals for the sake of notoriety, but so what, news is news !

EDIT: did not see your post OHH before I posted, did not mean to duplicate some of your words.
                      Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 10-28-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                        It’s a shame that the important factor of the article is not the success of the hunter, but the distance that the shot was made at !! It might be interesting to learn the reason the shot was even taken at that range in the first place. Too inept to close the distance, too lazy, purposely trying to have a chance of 85% to wound, compared to a 15% chance for a clean kill ? If the range was significant to warrant an article about it, maybe there will now be those attempting to make a 1500 yard shot in order to get their name in a magazine. Should lead to further wounded animals for the sake of notoriety, but so what, news is news !
                        A 15% chance of killing the animal? My you are generous! I would say less than 2% at that range.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

A 15% chance of killing the animal? My you are generous! I would say less than 2% at that range.
                          I am sure you are correct, but whatever the % is, it would be idiotic ! But when possible fame is in the picture, most, if not all smartness vacates the grey matter !

Comment

My guess is the dude shoots long D a lot. Has the gear and practice.....shot the animal in an area where wind if any, was consistent. They have programs for your phone and devices that can take readings and give you the clicks.

Was he shooting off a backpack or did he have a more mechanical rest set for rhe shot?

It is another game, and some folks are pretty good at it.

​​​​​​Maybe better than weekend warriors. Wound em close, wound em far..

Fail to see which is better.

Dude got his elk.
                            How many shots total?

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                              My guess is the dude shoots long D a lot. Has the gear and practice.....shot the animal in an area where wind if any, was consistent. They have programs for your phone and devices that can take readings and give you the clicks.

Was he shooting off a backpack or did he have a more mechanical rest set for rhe shot?

It is another game, and some folks are pretty good at it.

​​​​​​Maybe better than weekend warriors. Wound em close, wound em far..

Fail to see which is better.

Dude got his elk.
                              How many shots total?
                              How many stories were written about the ones he missed ... or assumes he missed? It was a cow. He obviously was only shooting for the meat. Meat hunters generally care more about making a good shot so they don't wreck any unnecessarily. I'm sorry but no one, no matter what technocrap they are using, can place a shot anywhere close to precise at that range. This was a lucky pot shot. Nothing to brag about. Not for anyone with ethics anyway.

"Wound em close, wound em far ... Fail to see which is better." The probability of wounding one far is much greater therefore it is less "better." And at that range a LOT less "better." Even for someone who thinks he is an expert. The real expert at "hunting" is the one who can track an elk/moose to its bed and watch it sleeping or shoot it in the heart at less than twenty yards. The technocrap isn't doing the job there ... it is the hunter alone who deserves the credit for the kill. He is the expert. At those ranges even someone with Parkinson's could make a 100% probability kill shot.

In Africa I made the longest shot of my life at less than half that range ... much less than half (330 metres). Had I been properly informed by my PH, I wouldn't have attempted it. I also made one of the two closest shots in my life at fifteen yards. Both animals shot at that range were on the fly ... coming for me (gemsbuck there and bull elk back in 1984). I'm a helluva lot prouder of placing those shots in the vitals than the kudu at 350 yards. Actually, I was rather disgusted when told how long that shot was after the fact. But both PHs worked very hard to get me to that point and it was definitely the point of no return as I had to fly out the next morning. They say shoot and I presume they know what they're doing. I was also holding a piece of strange equipment which I knew wasn't shooting straight. In retrospect (like five minutes afterwards retrospect) I should NEVER have taken that shot. Fortunately the way the bull was standing I had a line of vital targets for the bullet to drop into: back, neck, skull, chest. Because I knew the gun was shooting a foot and a half low (from earlier missed shot at 220 metres) there was too much guesstimation involved. It was doable but too risky. Nevertheless I dropped that kudu so fast no one saw him go down (three others were watching with binocs and a fellow hunter back at the truck looking through spotting scope). However, the sound of impact was very convincing. I made it work (me, NOT the equipment) but it is nothing to brag about. I would never try that again. Never.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad