How long have you been "hunting"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    I hunted for the first time in 1985, when I was 14 and had just passed the course. That was minimum age in New York at the time, and small-game only. My older brothers took me out for rabbits, grouse, and squirrels a couple times that winter after deer season. And then a couple times the following fall. A couple of times I hunted alone -- my mom had moved us to town after my dad died, but she would drive me out to the woods and read a book in the car while I hunted. Before I got my driver's license, she did the same thing during trout season, so I could still fish the crick beside the house we'd moved out of. My mother was top-notch.

When I turned 16, I went deer-hunting with my brothers but didn't like it much. They didn't use our family property then, preferring the patch of state land near the house where they'd grown up. I didn't like the crowds, plus I froze my butt off. I quit hunting altogether. I still helped those guys butcher, though, when they had one to butcher.

Then, during college, I started to get the itch again. The summer I graduated, 1994, I went up to the family land and basically lived there in the woods for about a month. It got my mind right again. It helped that those years were great years for turkeys and grouse -- they were everywhere, it seemed. I started hunting again that fall. Got my first turkey, about thirty squirrels, quite a few rabbits and a couple grouse. Got my first deer that November, on opening day about three minutes after legal sunrise.
    34+403=437 years of outdoor experience!

Comment

mattm37 - your mom was golden to do what she could to let you hunt!
      If she is still around, give her a hug and tell her, "Thanks for helping a kid become a man."
      The world needs more parents like her!

Comment

Started hunting ground squirrels and varmints with a 22 at at six years of age and took my first mule deer at 10. I am now over 80 and just returned last night from 6 weeks hunting various places in Africa. So guess have been big game hunting for more than 70 years. If had known it was going to be this long would have taken better care of myself. Let me rest for a few days and will attempt some comments on the 6.5x284 and 416 Remington. Kindest Regards

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          mattm37 - your mom was golden to do what she could to let you hunt!
          If she is still around, give her a hug and tell her, "Thanks for helping a kid become a man."
          The world needs more parents like her!
          Thanks for that, FirstBubba. She passed in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            Started hunting ground squirrels and varmints with a 22 at at six years of age and took my first mule deer at 10. I am now over 80 and just returned last night from 6 weeks hunting various places in Africa. So guess have been big game hunting for more than 70 years. If had known it was going to be this long would have taken better care of myself. Let me rest for a few days and will attempt some comments on the 6.5x284 and 416 Remington. Kindest Regards
            Happy Miles, I'm glad you're safely back from your travels. I'm looking forward to reading your comments on those two rifles / cartridges.

Comment

Bubba, My Father was a sort of gambler so he went with the hunters to play cards. They had a 1/2 track and a couple jeeps and would go miles back in the woods. There were about 15 that went every year. He took his Win. 30-30 but I bet he never loaded it. So, I never got any instruction from him. I used to hang at a corner store where guys would meet and talk hunting and guns and sometimes girls. They would let me tag along and even loan me guns. My first deer with them was with a 30-40 Krag. The guy also fixed me up with a .45 revolver as back up. We were hunting in the middle of a heavily populated black bear habitat. You could smell them before you saw them. That was in the '50's and I can still see it as plain as day.

Comment

Put me down for fifty years. And I'm still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                  <70+437=507(?)
                  Great!
                  H. Myles! Thanks so much for your input. You were one of the first names that came to my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    Bubba, My Father was a sort of gambler so he went with the hunters to play cards. They had a 1/2 track and a couple jeeps and would go miles back in the woods. There were about 15 that went every year. He took his Win. 30-30 but I bet he never loaded it. So, I never got any instruction from him. I used to hang at a corner store where guys would meet and talk hunting and guns and sometimes girls. They would let me tag along and even loan me guns. My first deer with them was with a 30-40 Krag. The guy also fixed me up with a .45 revolver as back up. We were hunting in the middle of a heavily populated black bear habitat. You could smell them before you saw them. That was in the '50's and I can still see it as plain as day.
                    Like you, alot of my "education" was by immersion.
                    Many night I sat around the porcelain kitchen table watching the adults playing "42" by the light of hissing Coleman lanterns, listening to hunting tales that occurred yesterday and decades earlier. What I wouldn't give to go back and record the hours and hours of bull hockey and lore!
                    My dad was the actual "leasee" and dealt directly with the land owner.
                    He would never allow cards in the camp. Dominoes were a staple.
                    NO gambling! It could cause hard feelings, or worse, fights.
                    If you want a drink, he would join you. In nearly 30 years, I never saw anyone drunk. Never heard any harsh words.
                    The "perfect" camp?
                    Not hardly, but problems were handled with tact or just not invited back.

Comment

Since 1975.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                        Since 1975.
                        507+44=551 years!

Thanks cd2!

Comment

I started hunting w .22 rifle on squirrels and .222 on chucks in elementary school.
                          Didnt deer hunt until college and waterfowl/ turkey until later.

Used to have a blast. Hit it hard too.....doves, rabbits etc.

Now i hunt maybe 5-10 days a yr.
                          Too much crap going on.

Could go more but weather or health screws it up half the time.

Did not fish at all this yr.

Pathetic.

Used to hunt and fish weekly. Shoot ranges too.

Good times.

More simple times too

Comment

I started hunting rabbits, squirrels, and sparrows in 2004 at the age of 8 and deer two years later.

2004 is also the year my three oldest siblings and I took the hunter education course as my mom wanted to get us through it before Kansas set the minimum age at 11 in 2005. We were 11, 10, 8, and 7 at the time and all of us passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                              I started hunting rabbits, squirrels, and sparrows in 2004 at the age of 8 and deer two years later.

2004 is also the year my three oldest siblings and I took the hunter education course as my mom wanted to get us through it before Kansas set the minimum age at 11 in 2005. We were 11, 10, 8, and 7 at the time and all of us passed.
                              Fifteen years redangus! Not bad!

551+15=566 years of experience.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X