How long have you been "hunting"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been "hunting"?

I can vividly remember when dad first took me hunting.
    We stayed in a surplus military wall tent heated by a propane bathroom heater.
    The kitchen was an open fire.
    Pop piggybacked me up into a tree stand and wrapped me in a blanket. Then he tied me to the tree so I wouldn't go to sleep and fall out.
    I was three (1953) years old and felt like I was ten feet tall!
    When I was 5, my grampa, dad and uncle built a one room shack to replace the tent. The stove was a 3 burner kerosene.
    We stayed on the same "lease" until my grampa passed away in 1973 and my dad passed away in 1981.
    I didn't actually "hunt" until I was 6 (1956), but the 3 years prior, I was as much a member of the party as any adult!
    I finally left the "lease" in 1982 when they cut us back from 500 acres to 250 acres. Then sold the whole thing to Ducks Unlimited. They donated it to Texas Parks & Wildlife as a WMA. It is still there.
    TPW operates it as the "Keechi Creek Wildlife Management Area"

After that, I hunted where I could, when I could. Spots and opportunities were few and far between until 1991.
    Hunting was still spotty until I moved to Oklahoma in 2002.
    I'll miss this season but will still go out with my camera.
    I'll be 69 soon.

I've been "hunting" 66 years!

How long have you been hunting?

I was hunting with a rifle by about 10. I won't count with a BB gun. This was before I had a license and before Hunter Education. We lived on a 'farmette' for a time and had enough private land to hunt when time permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      I was hunting with a rifle by about 10. I won't count with a BB gun. This was before I had a license and before Hunter Education. We lived on a 'farmette' for a time and had enough private land to hunt when time permitted.
      Now, how long have you been hunting?
      If you don't want to reveal your age, we will all just guess.
      I'll guess 63 years.

Comment

Since 1967 if we count going with my Dad. It was 1973 when I first hunted alone.

Comment

I can remember tagging along with my Grandfather in the northwoods of Michigan before going to school. Started hunting sparrows with a BB gun when 6, and that was big game hunting at that time. Started shotgun hunting for small game at 14 and hunted everything that was legal after reaching 16. From the age of 22, all my hunting was with a bow. As a youngster, lived in an area that was mostly belonging to relatives, could hunt anywhere in a 4 mile area, had a wonderful time. Shoot only wood chucks now, lost desire to kill other game, never thought that could happen. Miss the hunt, but not the kill !

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            Since 1967 if we count going with my Dad. It was 1973 when I first hunted alone.
            Sure pighunter, count the time you spent in the woods with pop.
            Who was toting the gun is moot!
            In your mind, YOU were hunting.

So, 52 years! Awesome!

About what year bhr?

So far, between jimbo, pighunter and me, it's about 171 years of experience!
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-23-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Sure pighunter, count the time you spent in the woods with pop.
              Who was toting the gun is moot!
              In your mind, YOU were hunting.

So, 52 years! Awesome!

About what year bhr?

So far, between jimbo, pighunter and me, it's about 171 years of experience!
              Bubba, that year would have been 1944. But now, being of such an age, I imagine all my remarks will be considered to be from an ‘ol coot and hold no value or purpose ! Just what is the age of thought concerning age, knowledge and legitimacy ?

Comment

My Dad is 85 and will be in a stand when our gun season starts on November 23rd. He uses a Remington 7400 in .30-06.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  My Dad is 85 and will be in a stand when our gun season starts on November 23rd. He uses a Remington 7400 in .30-06.
                  Awesome, possum!

Bhr! 1944!?
                  That's something like 75 years! WOW!
                  That makes 246 years of experience!
                  Plus pighunters dad?
                  Can you imagine?

Comment

Ballpark number, 45 years. I can’t actually remember the first time dad let me tag along but I started carrying a BB gun with him at age nine, and I’d been out for a couple years before then.

Comment

I took hunters safety in 1972 so I could small game hunt at 12. I believe you had to be 14 to hunt deer back then in Michigan. When I got to 16 I was bird hunting with my own Britt, chasing rabbits with my own pair of beagles, bow hunting, and a little trapping thrown in. Helped my uncle at night process deer. When I wasn't in the summer I was fishing( only flyfisher I knew) swimming, or playing baseball. Even with all that and being in a small town I had a steady girlfriend(s) and bucked hay bails for the dairy farmers. Life in mid Michigan during the 70's was THE best.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Ballpark number, 45 years. I can’t actually remember the first time dad let me tag along but I started carrying a BB gun with him at age nine, and I’d been out for a couple years before then.
                        45+246=291
                        Plus Newman's 47!

338 years!

Comment

As near as I can remember 65 years, I still cherish those days that I hunted with my Dad.

Comment

I hunted for the first time in 1985, when I was 14 and had just passed the course. That was minimum age in New York at the time, and small-game only. My older brothers took me out for rabbits, grouse, and squirrels a couple times that winter after deer season. And then a couple times the following fall. A couple of times I hunted alone -- my mom had moved us to town after my dad died, but she would drive me out to the woods and read a book in the car while I hunted. Before I got my driver's license, she did the same thing during trout season, so I could still fish the crick beside the house we'd moved out of. My mother was top-notch.

When I turned 16, I went deer-hunting with my brothers but didn't like it much. They didn't use our family property then, preferring the patch of state land near the house where they'd grown up. I didn't like the crowds, plus I froze my butt off. I quit hunting altogether. I still helped those guys butcher, though, when they had one to butcher.

Then, during college, I started to get the itch again. The summer I graduated, 1994, I went up to the family land and basically lived there in the woods for about a month. It got my mind right again. It helped that those years were great years for turkeys and grouse -- they were everywhere, it seemed. I started hunting again that fall. Got my first turkey, about thirty squirrels, quite a few rabbits and a couple grouse. Got my first deer that November, on opening day about three minutes after legal sunrise.
                            Last edited by MattM37; 10-24-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                              As near as I can remember 65 years, I still cherish those days that I hunted with my Dad.
                              338+65=403

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Impeach?
                                by fitch270
                                This is the most useful post in this entire trainwreck of a thread....
                                Today, 10:28 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by 99explorer
                                Here is a link to our progress with the great wall that our president claimed could not be climbed by the best climbers in the world.
                                Those are
                                Today, 10:07 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by FirstBubba
                                Uhhmmm....
                                rock rat,

Vanilla Pudding

1/2 C sugar
                                1/3 C AP flour
                                2 C whole milk
                                3 egg yolks separated...
                                Today, 09:34 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I have to ask myself, "Self," (that's what I call myself, Self.), "do you really care what some liberal hack thinks about a link I posted?"...
                                Today, 08:46 PM
                              • Reply to Impeach?
                                by rock rat
                                Bubba these are the people who did your polling "The American Action Network is a nonprofit, conservative[4][5]issue advocacy group based in Washington,...
                                Today, 08:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X