Hunting Spot Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Spot Etiquette

Outdoor Life has an interesting article concerning hunting spot etiquette. Here's the link:
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/newbies-...m_medium=email

Do you have any secret spots for hunting (or fishing) that you go out of your way to keep people from finding? Have you ever taken a friend to a spot only to find he started going without you and taking others? (That's happened to me). What do you do to conceal your hunting spots?

I've got one place on public land that consistently produces. It's over a mile behind a gate from where I park so most public land hunters won't venture that far. I'm very careful about making a negative impact and will only hunt the spot when conditions are just right, maybe only two to three times per season.

In other really good spots I'm careful not to leave a trail and try to conceal my tracks, easing through undergrowth instead of breaking limbs and twigs along the way. The only guidance is my wrist mounted GPS and memory. I learned my lesson about using flagging tape or reflective tacks when I once came across another hunter sitting in one of my favorite places that had been marked.

What's your experiences and methods?

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Outdoor Life has an interesting article concerning hunting spot etiquette. Here's the link:
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/newbies-...m_medium=email

Do you have any secret spots for hunting (or fishing) that you go out of your way to keep people from finding? Have you ever taken a friend to a spot only to find he started going without you and taking others? (That's happened to me). What do you do to conceal your hunting spots?

I've got one place on public land that consistently produces. It's over a mile behind a gate from where I park so most public land hunters won't venture that far. I'm very careful about making a negative impact and will only hunt the spot when conditions are just right, maybe only two to three times per season.

In other really good spots I'm careful not to leave a trail and try to conceal my tracks, easing through undergrowth instead of breaking limbs and twigs along the way. The only guidance is my wrist mounted GPS and memory. I learned my lesson about using flagging tape or reflective tacks when I once came across another hunter sitting in one of my favorite places that had been marked.

What's your experiences and methods?
    I have lost exclusivity to a spot by taking nephews, etc. Now, with my own place I tell guests where to stand and not to move unless to collect game. I have come across tree and ground blinds and used them . One was bare basic ground blinds and I finally ran into the old timer that made them. I said I had been using them and he said I know you have. He said he was going blind and going to hang up the bow so I could have all his stands. Very well placed productive blinds for archery and gun season. That was my favorite spot surrounded by farms with a pond, swamp and apple orchard and an entrance that if you did not know it you would never guess it was access to the spot. Parked by posted land a ways away. Many memories from that spot.

Comment

One of the "Number One" reasons I don't hunt public ground.
      I suppose I've been pretty lucky at nearly always having private ground to hunt.
      Even then, I've still "lost" a hot spot or two. But on private ground, at least you know "who" you're giving in to.

I found a strap on ladder stand on public land that is "archery only" except for spring turkey.
      When I got back to my vehicle, another person drove up.
      He asked me if I saw the ladder stand.
      "Yes, I did."
      He laid claim to it and showed me a picture of his wife with a buck she shot out of the stand with a rifle in "Primitive Arms" season....in "Archery Only" ground.
      Another reason I don't hunt public ground.
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-08-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I've been fortunate to have killed some large deer on public land. For 28 years, I've hunted my favorite WMA. With over 40,000 acres it's rare to see another hunter in the woods. There's been times someone has been in my primary spot and I've had to switch to a back-up location. But that hasn't happened in several years. The number of hunters have dropped since I first started hunting the property. There are now antler restrictions and it seems hunters are getting lazy, depending too much on their ATV's and such. The secondary logging roads are gated and restricted to non-motorized traffic..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sign.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	715779
        Last edited by PigHunter; 10-08-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I generally use public land only for small-game hunting, and typically on weekdays, so seldom have any issues. I sometimes do see the tracks of other hunters in my favorite thickets, but then, the next guy's going to be seeing mine, too. No real way to keep anything secret -- our state lands are plentiful, but mostly they're all accessible from paved roads, and as luck would have it, many of the better small-game thickets and coverts are right there by the road.

Honestly, though, the number of small-gamers has dropped off so much, it's not even an issue anymore.

Comment

I've been fortunate to have killed some large deer on public land. For 28 years, I've hunted my favorite WMA. With over 40,000 acres it's rare to see another hunter in the woods. There's been times someone has been in my primary spot and I've had to switch to a back-up location. But that hasn't happened in several years. The number of hunters have dropped since I first started hunting the property. There are now antler restrictions and it seems hunters are getting lazy, depending too much on their ATV's and such. The secondary logging roads are gated and restricted to non-motorized traffic..

Click image for larger version Name:	Sign.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	715779
            I think I have told my story about Michigan. Day before open I fashioned a ground blind for the morning. When I got there a guy was in the blind. I kept going, around the end of a small hill and took a stand. Got my 10pt about 15 minutes after season opener.

Comment

Yes, I have such spots. Yes, I was burned in the past. I won't get burned again.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I think I have told my story about Michigan. Day before open I fashioned a ground blind for the morning. When I got there a guy was in the blind. I kept going, around the end of a small hill and took a stand. Got my 10pt about 15 minutes after season opener.
                Jim, I don't remember that story so thanks for mentioning it again. I experienced something similar to that in 2016.

On Friday, December 23, I had been squirrel hunting with my Dad's old Winchester at the WMA. Moving up a hill, I spotted a cedar tree that had been torn up by a buck! So, I determined to hunt the area during the next deer hunt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20161223_162349408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	715812

One week later, on the last Friday of the year, it was a gun deer hunt day at the WMA. I got my either-sex permit from the check-in station and parked off the logging road well before sunrise. I gathered my pack and .308 to follow an old fire break trail around a hill to get to favorable wind direction and a position to watch the small valley where that cedar tree was.

It took me 30 minutes to approach and the sky was getting lighter. Just as I topped a small rise, I saw a pop-up blind across the valley, about 100 yards away. And, there was a hand sticking out the window waving an orange hat! I waved back and retreated exactly the way I had walked. Dang!

So, I circled around a hill that would separate us from line of sight and ended up about 300 yards away from the blind and about 200 yards from the cedar tree. By then the sunrise was at hand and I was standing next to a larger tree, scanning for a place to sit. To my pleasant surprise, here's comes the 9-point buck pictured below. A single 40-yard shot from the .308 with factory loaded 150 grain CoreLokt did the job! I was still wearing my backpack and probably would not have seen that deer If that other hunter hadn't made me change position.

It took some time to walk back to the 4x4 for the cart and to get the deer to the road. A truck drove up as I loaded the buck on the hitch rack. It was an older guy and he asked if he and his grandson could see the deer... of course. Apparently they were the ones set up in the blind. It was the largest buck brought into the check-in station that day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	December 30 2016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	715813
                Last edited by PigHunter; 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Jim, I don't remember that story so thanks for mentioning it again. I experienced something similar to that in 2016.

On Friday, December 23, I had been squirrel hunting with my Dad's old Winchester at the WMA. Moving up a hill, I spotted a cedar tree that had been torn up by a buck! So, I determined to hunt the area during the next deer hunt.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20161223_162349408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	715812

One week later, on the last Friday of the year, it was a gun deer hunt day at the WMA. I got my either-sex permit from the check-in station and parked off the logging road well before sunrise. I gathered my pack and .308 to follow an old fire break trail around a hill to get to favorable wind direction and a position to watch the small valley where that cedar tree was.

It took me 30 minutes to approach and the sky was getting lighter. Just as I topped a small rise, I saw a pop-up blind across the valley, about 100 yards away. And, there was a hand sticking out the window waving an orange hat! I waved back and retreated exactly the way I had walked. Dang!

So, I circled around a hill that would separate us from line of sight and ended up about 300 yards away from the blind and about 200 yards from the cedar tree. By then the sunrise was at hand and I was standing next to a larger tree, scanning for a place to sit. To my pleasant surprise, here's comes the 9-point buck pictured below. A single 40-yard shot from the .308 with factory loaded 150 grain CoreLokt did the job! I was still wearing my backpack and probably would not have seen that deer If that other hunter hadn't made me change position.

It took some time to walk back to the 4x4 for the cart and to get the deer to the road. A truck drove up as I loaded the buck on the hitch rack. It was an older guy and he asked if he and his grandson could see the deer... of course. Apparently they were the ones set up in the blind. It was the largest buck brought into the check-in station that day.

Click image for larger version Name:	December 30 2016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	715813
                  Nice deer.

Comment

Like the narratives, too.

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been keeping an electronic hunting log for the last few years. It makes it easier to recount memorable days. Sometimes the stories are first typed here at F&S and I copy them into the log. Sometimes the information flow is back the other way.

Here's the deer on the vehicle that day...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oakmulgee 9pt r.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	715830

Comment

He's a real honker pighunter. Any idea what he field dressed?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          He's a real honker pighunter. Any idea what he field dressed?
                          Thanks Bubba. I think it was around 145 lbs gutted which is a good size for Alabama

Comment

My biggest, so far, field dressed 152 pounds.
                            I had to go check the land owners market calves to be sure I hadn't shot one! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              My biggest, so far, field dressed 152 pounds.
                              I had to go check the land owners market calves to be sure I hadn't shot one! LOL!
                              When I was traveling to Alabama to hunt with the race car driver Davey Allison I killed a buck that field dressed 245 pounds. Before the Feds starting paying people not to plant soy beans and the beans were everywhere it was not uncommon to kill a 300 pound deer. Since people are planting pine trees instead of soy beans the deer weight has gone down drastically.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                by 99explorer
                                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                Today, 07:29 PM
                              • Give them all they need ...
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by FirstBubba
                                Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                I've never carried over about $1500.
                                Today, 07:27 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by PigHunter
                                "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X