Animals Over the Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animals Over the Years

Found a good book about the 50 animals that have had the most influence on human history. The title escapes me at the moment. A quick leaf-through showed me buffalo, mosquito, beaver, wolves, rats, and the common carp. What else do you suppose will be on the list?

What animals, besides the whitetail deer, do you think have most influenced the sport of hunting? I'd say the wild turkey, being a model for conservation-restoration, after being completely gone from most of the United States.

As far as hunting goes, the dog followed by the horse would be my first two. Globally elephants(ivory) and whales for the commercial value.

Comment

That's a toughie mattm37!
      With little thought, I'd say squirrels and rabbits.
      More beginners have started on these small game critters than any other. Thought I was Dan'l Boone coming into camp with a couple of squirrels in my hunting pouch! LOL!

I'll think about it!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        Found a good book about the 50 animals that have had the most influence on human history. The title escapes me at the moment. A quick leaf-through showed me buffalo, mosquito, beaver, wolves, rats, and the common carp. What else do you suppose will be on the list?

What animals, besides the whitetail deer, do you think have most influenced the sport of hunting? I'd say the wild turkey, being a model for conservation-restoration, after being completely gone from most of the United States.
        Pigeons in the early 1900. They were a delicacy in restaurants.

Comment

Cows for dairy products. And bulls for BS.

Comment

If we're talking about the influence on modern hunting in North America. I'm guessing hunting Elk was the initial push for long range and magnum cartridges here.

You can get the book on Amazon, "Fifty Animals that Changed the Course of History" by Eric Chaline. From the table of contents:

Mosquito, Honeybee, Common Minke Whale, American Buffalo,
            Spiny Dye-Murex, Silkworm, Cow, Wolf, Dog, Goat, North American
            Beaver, North Atlantic Herring, Pigeon, Carp, Cochineal, Fruit Fly,
            Donkey, Horse, Falcon, Cat, Atlantic Cod, Chicken, Darwin's Finches,
            Bald Eagle, Leech, Iguanodon, Llama, Elephant, Earthworm,
            Spanish Fly, Turkey, Cobra, Common Rabbit, Sheep, Chimpanzee,
            Lion, Louse, Seal, Oyster, Bat, Reindeer, Dodo, Rat, Scarab Beetle,
            Desert Locust, Schistosome, Pig, Oriental Rat Flea, Human

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              Cows for dairy products. And bulls for BS.
              What the heck do cows have to do with hunting? Other than being mistaken for deer by hunters from New York City, I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                That's a toughie mattm37!
                With little thought, I'd say squirrels and rabbits.
                More beginners have started on these small game critters than any other. Thought I was Dan'l Boone coming into camp with a couple of squirrels in my hunting pouch! LOL!

I'll think about it!
                Funny, I hadn't thought of that, and me being a small game hunter. Totally agree.

Comment

I would have to say without a doubt, the Reindeer ! How in the world would we have gotten along in the past, and how in the future, without these little guys knowing where to deliver our gifts at Christmas time ? How they figure this all out is fascinating to one’s mind, but certainly a marvel to all mankind, and I am sure, a big asset to the little fat guy who is probably of some help in this matter !

Comment

[QUOTE=bowhunter75richard;n714599]I would have to say without a doubt, the Reindeer ! How in the world would we have gotten along in the past, and how in the future, without these little guys knowing where to deliver our gifts at Christmas time ? How they figure this all out is fascinating to one’s mind, but certainly a marvel to all mankind, and I am sure, a big asset to the little fat guy who is probably of some help in this matter ![/QUOTE

Actually the reindeer has been a very influential game animal, especially for northern native peoples. Here's a good program about the caribou people in Siberia:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QosNCLbBA

As for Santa's team, I don't think they really know anything, they just go where the big guy steers them. Still, they deserve a hats-off for doing all the grunt work.

Comment

Reading the comments about the video, makes me terribly disappointed that I was unable to view it. Often times my i-Pad will not replay videos and unfortunately, this was one of those times ! For those who have been able to view it, I will thank you for them !

Comment

Mattm37

For me, it's whitetail deer. From the time my dad piggy backed me into a treestand at the ripe old age of two, the whitetail has been MY ultimate goal.
                        I really think, the predominant game animal of your hunting education is your "greatest influence".
                        Elk, antelope, moose, whitetail, etc, etc...... Even the lowly squirrel and rabbit.

I don't think any one animal has any lesser or greater "influence" than another.
                        From the diminutive Bushmen of the Kalahari carrying a gazelle to his straw hut to the 6 year old Texan stuffing his first fox squirrel into his makeshift game pouch.
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-18-2019, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                          by 99explorer
                          Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                          When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                          Today, 07:29 PM
                        • Give them all they need ...
                          by jhjimbo
                          I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                          10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                        • Reply to Snapshot
                          by FirstBubba
                          Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                          I've never carried over about $1500.
                          Today, 07:27 PM
                        • Snapshot
                          by jhjimbo
                          What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                          I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                          Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                        • Reply to Snapshot
                          by PigHunter
                          "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                          Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X