No announcement yet.

Cartridge wallet for Africa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kg for kg it is cheaper to hunt a Bluewildebeest than to hunt a smaller Impala, its maybe also worth your while to look into that possibility as well.

With a quality Leather-man, you are blade-wise good to go to Africa.
    There is not much you can not handle on a normal hunt with that knife.
    I would advise you though NOT to give it to the skinners to skin your animals, as it WiII be ruined!

Buy a second cheaper knife like a MORA for the skinning purposes and afterwards donate it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
      I use leather ammo carriers that slide on the belt that hold 5 rounds. I believe they were made by Boyt Harness. One for standard cartridges is open top and the one for magnum cartridges has a cover flap secured by a brass stud and slit on the flap. No Velcro, snaps, or buckles for me. I also keep one round in my left chest pocket pointed left. I despise the butt stock carriers of any design. They are in the way, cartridges or the carrier snag on brush and tend to leave a bread crumb trail of lost cartridges. I have a shotshell carrier with flap on my short barreled 870 defense shotgun just so I never have to look for ammo. But I don’t hunt with that getup. Good luck on your hunt. Happy Trails
      Thinking about it the other night, I seemed to recall Dad had an old leather bi-fold cartridge wallet for his 30-06. Talking to my brother yesterday on the phone I asked him if he remembered something like that. "Sure. I have it." Asked him if he'd mind lending it to me for the trip to Africa and I'd return it this fall when we meet to deer hunt in Montana. He agreed to send it out. Dad would probably get a kick out of his wallet going on safari. Then I had second thoughts later. Mike only inherited Dad's handguns and only one of them has any significant sentimental value (K-22). For whatever reason Dad left his other rebuilt 30-06 Springfield to my next younger brother who has never had any interest in hunting or guns (Dad gave me his first rebuilt Springfield fifty years ago). Older brother Mike should have been left that gun. I think maybe I'll leave the wallet in Mike's hands. It's the only thing Dad hunted with that he owns. Would be terrible if I lost it.
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-04-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wim View Post
        kg for kg it is cheaper to hunt a Bluewildebeest than to hunt a smaller Impala, its maybe also worth your while to look into that possibility as well.

I would advise you though NOT to give it to the skinners to skin your animals, as it WiII be ruined!

Buy a second cheaper knife like a MORA for the skinning purposes and afterwards donate it to them.
        The hunt is a package deal for five animals: impala, blesbuck, springbuck, gemsbuck, and kudu. A very good price. Black or blue wildebeest are about US $1100 more each trophy fee. Same price for red hartebeest. Still, I may add one of these to the bag if time allows. Warthog are cheap enough and certainly a consideration if one comes along. An interesting European mount. Bushpig is considerably more expensive. I have no interest in hunting at night. My days will be full enough I think. Don't want to wear myself out too much. No interest in shooting zebra or baboons. Waterbuck, nyala, and eland are all over two thousand bucks each trophy fee. Eland don't get me excited much but the other two are nice trophies. Maybe for the next trip. Sable are fabulous ... and so is the price tag ($5,000). I don't have wall space for one anyway. Cape buffalo are more than I can handle for either the wall or the price ($10,000).
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Good advice about the cheaper knife to donate. I'll pick up a Mora for about forty bucks (Canadian). It's on the list now. For myself I'm taking a cheap Chinese orange camo folding job I picked up on the street (literally ... someone threw it out a car window). It has a very good edge and I don't care if it gets lost or broken. I'm going to Africa to hunt, not put on a fashion show.

Comment

Add a Bushpig hunt at night for excitement and a Warthog to add to a memorial hunt.
            In many places Baboons are in excess and 'problem' animals.A big dog baboon can be and look something fierce.
            You maybe also can ask to hunt for a Porcupine as well.
            None of them will set you back a lot but will give you very exciting hunts,
            All the best!
            Local phone providers MTN or Vodacom will give you access for calls to USA and the rest of the world [some needs roaming]. Depends on the terrain/signal strength.
            If they have internet available you can video call via Skype wherever.
            Happy Myles, an old regular on here, has been to Africa countless times. Like me he uses Verizon carrier and says it will work over there. I'm not into the smartphone crap (only a flip phone) so I can live without texting or surfing the net while I'm hunting. As long as I can check my email with laptop a couple of times that week, I'll be fine for outside communication. Since I'll be in the PH's footsteps all the time (literally) and he will undoubtedly have cell/satellite phone, I don't see any need for me to be using my cell. I have a very nice Canon point-and-shoot digital camera in a snug fitting leather carrying case. It fits in a pocket easily enough and a lot less fragile than smartphones.

Comment

I am still amazed by the fact that a little pocket flip phone can make international calls.
              Dick Tracy's two-way wrist radio was "science fiction" in its day.

Comment

Here is Dick on the job with high tech equipment way ahead of its time.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                  Double post
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-04-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    I always felt Dick Tracy bore an uncanny resemblance to J. Edgar Hoover. Somehow I don't think it was an accident. Here's a photo of Hoover in 1924. The comic was first penned six years later. I bet Chester Gould would not be happy with his choice of model if he knew what a phoney sick creep Hoover really was.

Comment

And did you know that the actor Fred MacMurray was the model for the comic book hero Capt. Marvel?

Comment

This is what I use for upland game. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	710235Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	710236
                        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Only you can prevent forest fires!
                          by MattM37
                          Guess who will turn 75 on August 9th? Smokey the Bear!

What should we get him?...
                          Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                        • Reply to Only you can prevent forest fires!
                          by 99explorer
                          How about a nice big flood?
                          Today, 12:20 AM
                        • Reply to Tipping Chart
                          by Happy Myles
                          99 in Southern California that is no joke, especially in swanky restaurants were they feel they might be discovered. You can spot them as soon as you...
                          Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                        • Hijacked tankers
                          by jhjimbo
                          Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                          Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                        • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                          by 99explorer
                          The Iraniacs seem to feel that we owe them one since 1988, when a U.S. Navy missile cruiser accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner flying in Iranian...
                          Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X