Best Rifle For Pig Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rifle For Pig Hunting

I was asked this question yesterday and of course have my own opinion. However, I'll throw it out there for general discussion.

What do you consider to be the best rifle for pig hunting? What caliber and bullet?

What about the optics? Do you prefer a scope and if so, what magnification?

A 5.56/.223Rem AR-15 topped with a 1-4X or 1-6X scope shooting 62gr or heavier soft points.

Comment

My vote goes to the .30-06 with 150-grain sporting bullet of almost any type.
      Bolt action rifle and low magnification scope.
      I once took three out of sounder with that combination

Comment

BTW - I've often wondered if a curly tail on a wild hog is an indicator of domestic blood somewhere in its lineage.

Comment

With zero experience I will go with a 18-1/2" barreled carbine Rem 760-7600 in 35 Rem (2nd choice 180 gr. in 308) with a 2.5x Leupold in a Weaver pivot mount , while replacing the open sights with Williams fire sights. Sitting over a feeder a Dillon mini gun , rail mounted, in Realtree Advantage.

Comment

I would use my Remington 7400 30-05 carbine in synthetic stock. Low power scope or iron sights.

Comment

Never having had the opportunity to hunt hogs I’ll go with whatever happens to be handy at the time😎.

If I get to pick out of my own safe I’ll go with the Marlin 1895G in .45/70 with a Leupold VX-1 1-4x20 heavy duplex and Federal blue box ammo.

If I get to pick something new I’ll go with Red Angus, especially if I can get a fast twist barrel.

Comment

50 BMG? Ok ok, ugh I would probably pick my 35 whelen here.

Comment

No brag, just fact!
                  I've taken quite a few hogs in a variety of situations.
                  Hunting over an open field or pasture, I'll take my AR10 .308 w/3-9×40 scope or my bolt .270 w/3-9×40 scope. With pigs as the main purpose, I'd opt for the .308 w/20 round mag for the ammo.

Brush busting or stalking, any .30-30 class cartridge will work very well.
                  A lever gun is great for quick follow up shots.
                  An AR style rifle is even better but I prefer something heavier than the 5.56/.223, like the 6.8mm Rem SPC.
                  No offense redangus.
                  As for sights, iron sights would be best with a low power (1.5-4) scope second.

The attached photos all show an Anderson AR15 6.8mm Rem SPC.
                  Three pigs were shot with a Sierra 90 grain Hollow Point hand loads.
                  The other was taken with a Hornady V-MAX 110 grain.
                  All four were one shot kills.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very good information to help in making choices for rifles and ammo. I have some of the choices, and will do some more investigating to narrow my choices and make some informed decisions!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      No brag, just fact!
                      I've taken quite a few hogs in a variety of situations.
                      Hunting over an open field or pasture, I'll take my AR10 .308 w/3-9×40 scope or my bolt .270 w/3-9×40 scope. With pigs as the main purpose, I'd opt for the .308 w/20 round mag for the ammo.

Brush busting or stalking, any .30-30 class cartridge will work very well.
                      A lever gun is great for quick follow up shots.
                      An AR style rifle is even better but I prefer something heavier than the 5.56/.223, like the 6.8mm Rem SPC.
                      No offense redangus.
                      As for sights, iron sights would be best with a low power (1.5-4) scope second.

The attached photos all show an Anderson AR15 6.8mm Rem SPC.
                      Three pigs were shot with a Sierra 90 grain Hollow Point hand loads.
                      The other was taken with a Hornady V-MAX 110 grain.
                      All four were one shot kills.
                      Bubba, hook me up with a pig hunt lol

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

Bubba, hook me up with a pig hunt lol
                        Heck JT, I can't even hook ME up with a hog hunt!

I have ONE place to "hog" hunt.
                        If you don't have thermal sights or can afford NVG, it's a nonstarter to begin with.
                        I don't know of any commercial outfitters.
                        My "hog hunting" is "target of opportunity" and trapping.

When I moved to Ok, I had immediate access (family) to 800 acres in the Red River bottom. (divorce took care of that!) Hogs are thick. There was one sounder down there with over 80 pigs in it!
                        We would walk the down wind side of thickets until the malevolent odor of "pig" seared your nostrils.
                        Everybody turned into the wind and eased through the thicket until hogs flushed like a covey of hairy, 100+ pound quail!
                        Fleeting glimpses, snap shots and quick follow-up shots were the rule of the day.
                        Pigs find corn feeders quickly.
                        Shoot up a sounder and they go nocturnal, ergo, thermal sights or NVG!
                        That's why I trap them. Much, MUCH easier! Just not as exciting.
                        ...AND...more effective!
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 03-18-2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

We don’t have much trouble with pigs in my area, thus never get involved with hunting them. But then, I really do not need the exoerience first hand, I only need to read accounts of it by Bubba. The “malevolent odor of ‘pig’ seared your nostrils” puts me right there in person and I am automatically looking for “a covey of hairy 100 pound quail” ! If you can not enjoy the wording of Bubba, then you have no concept of good ‘prose’ in my estimation. Good stuff Bubba, enjoy it when you take me on a ‘wordage’ hunt !

Comment

bhr, how would you describe pig "odor"?
                            To me, it's almost a sickening, sweetish odor.
                            There is no mistaking it when it slaps you in the face!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              bhr, how would you describe pig "odor"?
                              To me, it's almost a sickening, sweetish odor.
                              There is no mistaking it when it slaps you in the face!
                              I have been slapped by a few pigs, but they were not the four legged kind. And Bubba, I am not sure I have a particular way of describing ‘pig’ odor other than simply “piggy” ! In as much as having no contact with pigs in this area, I will just take your word for the smelly part. You wont need to bottle any for my enjoyment either.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad