200 yd zero 50 yd shot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 yd zero 50 yd shot

Hey guys, I would like to sight my new 30-06 in at 200yd zero. But in the event of a deer coming out at 50 yards, what should i do, where should i aim? Anything helps, thanks.

If you were to sight in at 1 1/2" high at 100yds you would be dead on at 25yds and within a 1" at 50yds. That would also give you about dead on at 225yds. I am going from memory for a 180gr bullet - check Hornady.com for their ballistics table for exact numbers. Jim

Comment

I sight my .308 with 150 Nosler Accubonds dead on at 50 yards. This puts me .4 high at 100 . -.7 at 150 and -3.2 inches at 200. Run your load on the Hornady Balistic calculator and it will give you all the information you need.

Comment

This is a example calculation I ran using the specs for a 180gr Winchester power point.

Hornady's ballistic calculator.
        https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/

Comment

I would encourage you to look into a concept known as maximum point blank range. That is the the distance you can sight a given loading in and have the bullet hit no higher or lower than three inches from point of aim at any point to that maxiumum range. Basically, so long as the animal is within that given range, barring wind or grade you can simply hold dead on and fire.

Even not knowing your exact load I am certain you will be able to simply hold on at any range below 200.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Illegals buying guns
            labrador12
            If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
            Yesterday, 10:56 AM
          • Reply to Illegals buying guns
            fitch270
            In other threads here you've argued against folks who use the "even one is too many" cry as being unrealistic. I'll hold you to the same standard...
            Today, 12:49 AM
          • New petition to sell Montana to Canada
            99explorer
            There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
            It would become South Alberta....
            Yesterday, 12:27 AM
          • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
            fitch270
            Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
            Today, 12:09 AM
          • Reply to Illegals buying guns
            Harmonious Fulmination
            In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
            Today, 12:02 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X