Sika deer, far from home ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sika deer, far from home ...

Interesting. We have a Japanese Sika deer in Oswego County, New York. A guy caught it several times on his trail cams and the DEC biologist confirmed the species. All the local game farms claim that they've had none escape. Wonder if there's some other explanation?

Aliens????
    don't know but thats cool though

Comment

Sika deer don't come from anything other than other Sikas so someone's fibbing. Could they have migrated from some small wild population? If not then I smell coverup.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
        Aliens????
        don't know but thats cool though
        I suspect that one of the game farm's personnel isn't coming clean about a breakout. That's how the hogs got established around here a few years ago and I doubt anyone wants to admit they've gone and done it themselves. Not that the Sika deer would be any kind of a problem like the hogs were. Anyway, our fish and game department has issued a statement: If you see it, shoot it. They're worried about possible disease spreading to the whitetail herd. (So actually, I guess they could be an even worse problem than the hogs, if they end up spreading CWD or something.)

Comment

I was going to ask about the DEC's stance on it.

Buck or doe?

Comment

We have a pretty strong population of Sika deer in Maryland and in Delaware! They coexist with the native whitetail population . If this sika came from a game farm I’m sure it was vaccinated and will not spread disease to the deer population. I have seen many of them on the eastern shore and I never get tired of these little deer. They are more like an elk than a whitetail .

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              I was going to ask about the DEC's stance on it.

Buck or doe?

It's a buck.
              https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...pecies-of-deer

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                We have a pretty strong population of Sika deer in Maryland and in Delaware! They coexist with the native whitetail population . If this sika came from a game farm I’m sure it was vaccinated and will not spread disease to the deer population. I have seen many of them on the eastern shore and I never get tired of these little deer. They are more like an elk than a whitetail .
                It does sound like an interesting critter.

Comment

My Son and I were invited to a Wounded Warrior hunt for Sika deer at Sharptown , Maryland this past fall. We were hunting only 30 miles from Ocean City. What we found was that the Sika deer and whitetails don't like each other. We hunted both species but had to go different places to do it. The Sika deer like wet swamp areas and the whitetails like more drier ground. We never saw any whitetails where we hunting Sika deer or any Sika deer where we were hunting whitetails. My Son was lucky enough to kill a Sika stag and a whitetail buck both from different areas of the county.

Comment

Sarge you are correct , I guess instead of coexist I should have said they don’t compete and that would have been clearer. However they do inhabit the same places and many times I have seen them together in the same open areas. The sikas of the eastern shore are found in marsh areas and are very secretive. You son was very fortunate to harvest both on the same hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                      Interesting. We have a Japanese Sika deer in Oswego County, New York. A guy caught it several times on his trail cams and the DEC biologist confirmed the species. All the local game farms claim that they've had none escape. Wonder if there's some other explanation?
                      Will it survive the winter ?

Comment

Jim the Maryland population started with escaped deer that survived and started a huntable population. The easiest place to observe them is outside of Ocean City Md on Assateague Island , also known for its wild ponies .

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Will it survive the winter ?
                          I'm guessing someone will shoot it, since the DEC has declared open season. Interestingly, I read another article that mentioned a Red Deer was seen over in Cattaraugus County not long ago -- and in that case, too, all the region's game farms and preserves were checked without DEC finding any animals unaccounted for.

Comment

Isn’t it just amazing how some of these things happen with no accountability by anyone ? I smell a hole in the fence somewhere or in someone’s story of there not being one. These animals don’t just produce themselves !

Comment

Well just one isn't going to cause a population explosion. In a way I hope the thing makes it, a legend in the making. Wouldn't blame someone for shooting it, but I'd hate to see it end up roadkill.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad